This creamy, sweet Ube Boba has 16 grams of protein, making it the perfect post-workout drink or midday snack!
One thing about me is I’m always trying to recreate my favorite treats at home. Craving a smoothie? I almost always make my own (especially if the one I want is $17!). Sam even bought me my own ice cream maker!
My latest home treat obsession is boba. It’s sooo fun to go out to a boba shop and explore all of the flavors, and we definitely still do that sometimes! But once I realized how easy it is to make myself, I started doing it allll the time.
What is boba?
If you’ve never had boba, get ready to become obsessed! Boba, or bubble tea, is made with tapioca pearls (those little black dots you see in the bottom of the drink!). They’re chewy and sweet and make your drink more of a fun treat!
Like I said, learning how to make boba at home has been a game changer for me. It’s a lot easier than you might think! Just grab some tapioca pearls at your local Asian grocery (or Amazon), and boil them for a few minutes so they get nice and soft. Don’t worry, I have instructions for you in the recipe 😉
Then you just add the pearls to a creamy, sweet drink! Oh, and make sure you have a boba straw on hand – those pearls won’t fit through a regular straw!
What is ube?
Ube is one of my favorite flavors but a lot of people have no idea what it actually is! Ube is a purple yam – not the same as a purple sweet potato!
You’ll find ube in many Filipino desserts – it has a sweet, vanilla-y and slightly nutty flavor. A lot of ube-flavored foods in the US don’t taste authentic though! When I was formulating the Ube Soft Serve of Sculpt + Debloat, the goal was to get as close as I possibly could.
Now let’s make Ube Boba!
Ube Protein Boba
*This recipe may contain affiliate links to products we use and love.
- Bring 4 cups of water to a boil, then add the tapioca. Once the pearls have floated to the top (about 3-5 minutes), cover and reduce to a simmer for 5 minutes, until soft and chewy. *Note: Instructions may vary depending on the type of tapioca used. Follow the instructions on the package for best results.
- Drain, then place in a small saucepan with the honey or maple syrup, stirring over low heat for 3 minutes. Remove from heat to cool.
- To a mini blender, add the milk, protein powder, sweetener, vanilla and flavoring (if using). Blend for 10 seconds.
- Assemble the beverage by adding the tapioca to the bottom of a tall glass. Fill the glass halfway with ice. Pour the ube milk mixture on top and serve immediately with a boba straw.
- If you’d like to add a creamy layer on top, use a frother to froth the non-dairy creamer and spoon it on top of the beverage.
More yummy protein drinks
Goodbye, boring protein shakes!
PS – If you want some more easy, high-protein recipes, check out my protein cookbook!