Matcha Mochi Pancakes (Gluten and Dairy Free!)
Sweet, chewy matcha-flavored mochi pancakes made with plant-based protein powder. Gluten free, dairy free and perfect for meal prep!
If I had to pick a favorite breakfast food, pancakes would def be near the top of the list. But here’s the thing – I usually don’t find myself eating them for breakfast!
I love a stack of banana pancakes as a snack, or Supersculpt Pancakes for post-workout. I just take snacks VERY seriously, you know? I need something that brings me joy and keeps me full.
Anyway, I have a new type of pancake to share with you: Matcha Mochi Pancakes. And you’re gonna LOVE.
Have you ever had a mochi pancake?!
If you’ve ever had traditional mochi, you’ll have an idea of what the texture of a mochi pancake is like. Slightly chewy, but tender. And omg they can be so thick!! Stacking these pancakes is so satisfying.
The texture comes from using sweet rice flour in place of regular flour. This is the same type of flour used to make other types of mochi, and it’s made from glutinous short-grain rice.
So you have that lovely chewy center, and then the pancake gets slightly crispy on the outside. Seriously, biting into one of these is ✨heavenly✨.
Had to add some protein
Since we’re eating these mochi pancakes for breakfast or as a post-workout snack, I decided to add a little protein! Plus with Matcha Shake Sculpt + Debloat finally arriving, it just seemed like the perfect opportunity.
I was a little worried the protein powder would mess up the mochi texture (protein tends to absorb moisture!), but I’m happy to report that it works beautifully. Ready to whip up some Matcha Mochi Pancakes?!
Matcha Mochi Pancakes
*This recipe may contain affiliate links to products we use and love.
- 1 cup Mochiko flour or other sweet rice flour
- ¼ cup Matcha Shake Sculpt + Debloat Protein Powder
- ¼ cup monk fruit granular sweetener
- 1½ tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ cup cornstarch
- ½-1 tsp matcha powder optional for a deeper matcha flavor and greener hue
- 1 cup non-dairy milk
- 1 egg divided
- ¼ cup avocado oil
- In a medium bowl, whisk together Mochiko flour, protein, sweetener, baking powder, salt, cornstarch and matcha.
- In a separate bowl, combine milk, egg yolk and avocado oil.
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and whisk until just combined and no lumps remain. Then, fold in the egg white. The batter will be thick, but if it’s too thick to pour, add 2-3 additional tablespoons of milk.
- Heat a griddle to medium-high heat. Once it’s ready, use a 1/4 cup measure to scoop even amounts of batter onto the hot griddle. Cook for a few minutes on each side, flipping once the edges appear dry.
- Stack and enjoy with your favorite toppings!
Other flavors to try
You can make mochi protein pancakes in pretty much any flavor you want! Instead of using the matcha protein and matcha powder…
- Use Sweet Cream protein for a vanilla flavor
- Use Chocolate Shake flavor protein to make chocolate mochi pancakes
- Mix in Ube Soft Serve protein with a little ube extract – Ube mochi pancakes!
If you experiment with flavors, make sure you report back to tell me what you tried!
Love pancakes? Me too!
Let’s make more ❤️
LMK in the comments if you make this recipe!
PS – If you want some more easy, high-protein recipes, check out my protein cookbook!
One thought on “Matcha Mochi Pancakes (Gluten and Dairy Free!)”
There are 1 comments posted by our users.
I made ube mochi waffles soooo good with some maple syrup and bananas chefs kiss