I’ve been sooo busy lately, and I noticed that I was slacking a bit on my water intake. I can always tell when I’m getting dehydrated because my skin gets dry, I feel more tired, I have more cravings, and I usually end up bloated. Ugghh not good when my to-do list is super crazy!
And this made me wonder, what are some other benefits of drinking a lot of water every day? Like, are there things I haven’t even noticed? Is it necessary to drink a gallon every single day? That’s what I usually aim for, but do I need to?
Here’s what I learned, and some tips to stay hydrated. PLUS, I have a fun water challenge I want to do with you! Keep reading to see what it is!
And if you need a water bottle to help you stay on track, you’re gonna want my favorite GIANT bottles from POPFLEX!
Drinking water does amazing things for your body
The average body is made of 60% water. So OF COURSE staying hydrated is important! Literally every single cell in your body needs water to function. Here are some of the biggest things water does for you:
Keeps your skin healthy – Water helps your skin flush out toxins and bacteria. Dehydration can make your skin dry and flaky, or it could actually end up more oily and irritated!
Helps digestion – You need water to keep everything moving!
Increases energy – Water helps with blood flow to your organs, which keeps you feeling energized.
Regulates body temperature – You need sweat to cool down, and you need water to sweat!
Prevents headaches – Dehydration usually results in a headache!
Helps you think clearly – Yep, even your brain needs water to function well.
Improves your workout – If you’re not hydrated, your workout will probably feel harder.
Keeps your appetite in check – Water helps you feel full, and can even increase your metabolic rate temporarily.
Tips to drink more water
Most people don’t drink enough water. One study found that close to 80% of people don’t. WHAT?!
I think a lot of people just get busy and forget to drink throughout the day, or they don’t like the taste! If you struggle with this too, here are some tips to help!
- Get into a routine. Start getting into the habit of drinking a glass of water when you get up, and set “checkpoints” throughout the day for a water break. Once you do this for a while, it will become more natural!
- Drink water with meals. You’re taking a break to eat anyways, so get that water in!
- Use an app to track your intake. There are TONS of apps out there. Use them to keep yourself accountable.
- Add some flavor. Add lemon or infuse some fresh fruit or cucumber. It makes a huge difference!
- Get yourself a gigantic, PRETTY water bottle! This is my favorite tip! I’m a little bit obsessed with gigantic water bottles (like seriously the biggest ones I can get my hands on) because it really motivates me to drink more throughout the day. It’s literally a giant reminder that I need to hydrate and it’s a lot more convenient than filling up a smaller bottle 20 times a day.
Since I love giant water bottles so much, I decided to create some for you too over at POPFLEX! YAYY!
LOOK HOW PRETTY
Ok quick sidebar but here’s what I love most about the new water bottles! They…
- Hold a TON of water. 64 oz in the bigger one! You only need to drink 2 bottles to hit your gallon goal.
- Keep water cold for up to 40 hours!
- Have a flip top crystal straw for easy sipping.
- Won’t sweat all over the place.
- Are so beautiful I could cry.
Like I said, obsessed!
Is it good to drink a gallon of water every day?
A gallon a day has been my goal for… a really long time. But it feels like a lot. Is it too much? Or is it necessary to stay healthy?
Basically, no amount of water will magically solve all of your problems. BUT there’s no harm in drinking a gallon of water a day (other than having to pee every 5 minutes). And it’s a good way to make sure you’re hydrated enough to get the ALL of benefits listed above and of course, stay healthy!
So I’m gonna keep my goal and do my best. What do you think? Wanna go for a gallon a day with me?!
Actually, I think this calls for a CHALLENGE!
The 30 Day Water Challenge
Ok, so the rules are simple.
First, download the graphic above. You can get more colors here! Use it to track your progress every day!
And then – Drink at least half of your body weight in ounces. Every day. For 30 days. I’ll be shooting for a gallon a day, so you can join me if you want!
I’ll report back with my results, and I wanna hear about yours too! Make sure you post your 30 Day Water Challenge chart on Instagram and tag me!
Okay…so are you in?!! Let me know in the comments! And drink up!