It all started in 7th grade. I decided to make my own candy with a mixture of Halloween chocolate that I couldn’t eat (bc I’m a supertaster and chocolate tastes sooo bitter to me!). When I took this candy to school, I was just trying to repurpose the candy. But… my friends actually LIKED it!
So I made more and started selling it – 3 balls for 25 cents.
I didn’t even know WHAT a business was when I made my first sale. I just knew it was fun.
Here I am mixing Halloween chocolate together to make my own candy! Eventually, I decided to turn this little project into an official business and…
Cooplex Cookies & Candies was born!
By the time I got into high school, my menu had expanded to include cookies and my best-seller, The Chocolate Chip Cookie Sandwich.
People went CRAZY over theses – they were really addicting! Kinda makes sense that people called them Cassey’s Crack Cookies…and the way money and cookies used to exchange between classes makes this name feel even more appropriate.
The demand was so high that my mom even helped me make cookies every night between homework, tennis practice, and other activities. Looking back, it really bonded us together! She was a cake decorator so that’s where my baking and artistic skills come from ❤️
Here is Jackelyn posing with me in a backyard photoshoot so the school yearbook could do a story on Cooplex! My mom was the photographer of course!
But eventually, the school shut my business down.
I was called into the office, got in trouble, and had to stop selling my cookies and candies. Cooplex’s time came to an end. I was so bummed, but what I didn’t realize at the time were how many valuable lessons I had learned!
Of course I couldn’t share this story with you without recreating the Chocolate Chip Cookie Sandwich!
View this post on Instagram
The Chocolate Chip Cookie Sandwich
The cookie that helped my first business thrive!
Chocolate Chip Cookie Sandwich
*This recipe may contain affiliate links to products we use and love.
- 1 cup salted butter melted
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1½ tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 cup milk chocolate chips
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips
- 2 cups powdered sugar sifted
- ½ cup unsalted butter
- 1½ tsp pure vanilla extract
- 2 Tbsp milk
For the Cookies:
- Put everything except chips in a mixer and mix for 1-2 min of until dough has evenly formed. Then mix chips in for 20-30 sec until evenly distributed.
- Make into little balls. Place balls on baking sheet lined with parchment paper or a silpat.
- Bake at 375°F for 10-12 min. Please check around 8-10 min as my oven is weaker so yours may finish sooner!
- Once done let cool.
For the Buttercream Filling:
- Mix powdered sugar and butter with hand mixer or whip vigorously with spoon until fluffy. Then add vanilla extract and milk until consistency you want!
Assembling the Cookie Sandwich:
- Take one cookie (please make sure it’s cool), lay upside down, add buttercream frosting inside to your heart’s desire, then close with another cookie.
Is there such a thing as an “entrepreneurial gene”?
As I was filming the video to retell my story, I realized something – My business ideas have always come from solving a problem. Back in the day it was because I had too much chocolate and didn’t know what to do with it. These days, it’s because I hate cameltoe and I wanted a pair of leggings that could get rid of it (and much much more).
There were some interesting businesses in between Cooplex and POPFLEX (wait just realized I really like “lex’s” -weird!) and each one helped me solve an issue I had at the time. I guess my businesses are like expressions of my life chapters.
WAIT. It’s like when T-Swift writes a song to emote her feelings, except…I start businesses. OMG. So many realizations happening!
I feel so lucky that I get to marry my passion with my career – I simply could not imagine my life any other way!
Do you wanna hear about my other random businesses one of these days?!