October 27, 2016|
Fall means pumpkins, spices and squash! These beauties are everywhere, and there’s so much variety between each kind. Spaghetti squash is stringy and a fun substitute for pasta, Butternut is great with curry or as soup, and Delicata can be baked, skin on and everything, to make mock-fries!
Today, though, I decided to use my Delicata as a boat/bowl for my colorful salad. Delicata, when roasted, has a slightly sweet and nutty flavor; the perfect combination of sweet and savory. It’s much less sweet than Butternut and Kabocha, which is what I wanted because of the sweet elements going into my salad. I used Asian pear and pomegranates for sweetness to off-set the spicy arugula and tangy goat cheese.
Squash really isn’t as intimidating as it looks, provided you have a sharp knife. You can pretty much just cut into them, remove the seeds and roast! It’s a more nutritious and lower-carb option than rice, pasta or potatoes, and it fills you up just as well. Plus, they just scream cozy, fall, happy, sweater-weather, hot cocoa and all the other things we love about this time of year! So if you haven’t made them a staple yet, it’s time to give it a shot!
SALAD IN A BOAT
Yield: 4 servings
Serving Size: 1/4 salad boat
Prep Time: 15 min
Cook Time: 20 min
- 2 medium/large Delicata squash
- Coconut oil cooking spray
- Pinch salt and pepper
- 2 1/2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 cups arugula
- 1 Asian pear (or firm pear), chopped
- 1/4 cup pomegranate seeds
- 1/4 cup goat cheese, crumbled
- 1/4 cup crushed pecans
- Slice both squashes longways and remove seeds with a spoon. Place in a baking dish, flesh side up, and coat generously with cooking spray. Sprinkle on salt and pepper.
- Place in a cold oven, then set the temperature to 450°. Set timer for 18-20 minutes, and roast until insides are soft and caramelized. Remove and cool.
- Whisk together the vinegar, syrup and oil. Toss in a large bowl with arugula, pear and pomegranate. Fill each boat evenly with salad, and top with cheese and pecans.
Calories: 251 | Protein: 3g | Fat: 6g | Net Carbs: 30g | Fiber: 6g
Which type of squash is your favorite? Let me know down below!