October 3, 2011|
I visited my sister over the weekend and she made spaghetti squash for me. Let’s just say, I FELL IN LOVE! Not only have I been wanting to try it for YEARS NOW (not sure why I never got myself to do it), but the nutrition facts are amazing and it is delicious. A cup of spaghetti squash has only 42 calories, 0g fat, 10g carbs, 2g fiber, and 1g protein.
I was surprised at how easy it was to make, here’s what you’ll need.
– whole spaghetti squash, about $2.99 at Trader Joes (serves 4 people or more)
– marinara sauce
– veggies or meat of your choice
1. Wash the skin of the squash, cut it in half, length-wise if possible (unlike me). The squash is very hard like a pumpkin so be careful!
2. Place 1/2 of the squash in the microwave on HIGH POWER for 15 min. Yes. 15 min. And you do not need an oven.
3. In the mean time, sautee some veggies. I had some red pepper laying around.
4. Once the squash is done “roasting” in your microwave, take it out (be careful, it’s hot!) and cut length wise. Then scoop the seeds out.
5. Then, using a fork, simply scrape out the squash. It gets all stringy!
6. Place the hot “spaghetti” on a plate, smother with marinara sauce, and top with your sauteed veggies. I’d definitely add basil if I had some.
7. Optional: also smother with sriracha 😛 THEN DEVOUR!
Eat! Enjoy! I ate a ton and felt super light but full afterwards! Next time, I will add some sort of a protein in there but OH MAN this recipe surpassed my expectations. I am in love with spaghetti squash. It has a semi-sweet taste and is BETTER than noodles. Seriously. I need to try making pad thai with this! And chow mein. And pho. And all sorts of noodle/pasta dishes!!! It wins my food of the month award! Totally Blogilates-approved!
Have you ever tried spaghetti squash? What are your techniques and what have you made before?