April 8, 2011
No oil used here folks. Just some cooking spray and the goodness exploded itself. I didn’t even have to add ANY sugar or lemons or anything, they tasted amazing AS IS. It was also really cool to see my slices turn from a pale off white to this gorgeous yellow brick road color.
1. Buy plantain from grocery store, should be anywhere from 3/$1 to 4/$1. If you plan to eat right away, choose one with a skin that’s golden with black spots. If they don’t have black spots, they will not be sweet enough when you eat them.
2. Peel the skin and chop the inside into circles, or angled slices if you’re a culinary artist! I just did circles because I wanted to slice quickly!
3. Spray your non stick pan with some cooking spray or a tiny bit of olive oil. You definitely don’t want to be deep frying these because we’re making the healthy version of what you will find at a Mexican restaurant. Set to medium heat.
4. Place the slices on the pan and wait for one side to turn golden with slight browning on the edges. Then flip.
5. That’s it! You’re done! EAT!!!!!!!!!
Plantain Nutrition Facts
1 cup slices, 154 g
fat: 0 g
protein: 1 g
carbs: 48 g
fiber: 4 g
potassium: 20% RDA
vitamin C: 28% RDA
vitamin A: 28% RDA
vitamin B6: 18% RDA
Magnesium: 12% RDA
Folate: 12% RDA
Plantains are a great source of fiber and vitamins C and A. They are also high in vitamin B6, magnesium and folate. One cup of plantains contains more potassium that one cup of banana slices. 20% RDA in plantains compared to 15% RDA in bananas.