October 6, 2016
Do you ever just wish you could have a little pop of bread-y carbs without all the added junk you get from pastries, muffins and cookies? Sometimes there’s nothing better than a lightly sweet muffin that you can throw in your bag for a snack, nibble at with tea, or have for breakfast. These soft and fluffy apple cinnamon muffins have zero flour of any kind! I know, right?! NO flour?? How is that even possible? It must be magic! 😛
You’ll love how they look, feel and taste just like regular muffins that use flour. You can try using peanut butter or almond butter, but cashew butter really is the best! It’s got a mild sweetness to it and a very neutral flavor, which allows the subtle apple notes to come through. You can also try these as a banana version by using mashed banana in place of the applesauce. The level of sweetness is really up to you. If you’re using a concentrated sweetener like stevia, you don’t need much at all; you don’t want to add too much and have them taste bitter. If you use a granulated sweetener, such as monk fruit, you’ll need about 2 tablespoons. If you use honey or maple syrup, it’s also about 2 tablespoons. Muffins like these allow us to un-process our diets one little recipe at a time! Definitely give these a try so you can make your days just a little easier, brighter and tastier!
GLUTEN-FREE APPLE CINNAMON MUFFINS
Yield: 8 servings
Serving Size: 1 muffin
Prep Time: 5 min
Cook Time: 18 min
- 1 cup cashew butter
- 2⁄3 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon (optional)
- Stevia, monk fruit extract, honey or maple syrup to taste*
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Coat 8 muffin liners with cooking spray (foil liners work best with no sticking).
- In a medium bowl, add the cashew butter, applesauce and eggs. Whisk well, or use beaters set to low speed. Add in the vinegar, vanilla extract, baking soda, cinnamon, and sweetener of choice, and mix until combined (don’t over-mix).
- Spoon batter 3/4 full into the liners and bake for 17-18 minutes, or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
*The amount of sweetener you use will depend on the type you use. Start conservatively, as these muffins have a wonderful natural sweetness from the applesauce.
Nutrition Info (with stevia)
Calories: 188 | Protein: 6.5g | Fat: 15g | Net Carbs: 9g | Fiber: 1.3g
Comment below if you give these a try, and let me know which kind of muffins I should healthify next!