September 27, 2016
I love it when super beautiful food actually tastes really really good. This recipe combines several delicious flavors that I promise will take your palate to a whole different level of sophistication. There are several ice cream shops in LA that serve really crazy (but divine) flavor combinations, like Butternut Squash & Goat Cheese, Bone Marrow & Smoked Cherries (I wish I were kidding, but I’m not) and Pear & Blue Cheese. One of the tamer flavors is a Honey Lavender, which somewhat inspired this recipe. Dried lavender, when used in excess, can taste a lot like soap. But in small amounts, and with the right sweetness, it’s a beautiful flavor that’s rich an earthy. When paired with vanilla and blueberries, it’s a combo made in heaven! You can get dried lavender buds online, or at some health food markets like Sprouts in the herbs aisle.
The WOW factor from this recipe comes from the sexy blueberry jam loaded at the bottom and pulled up the sides. You’ll get a bit of texture and fruity flavor mixed in with the thick and creamy vanilla shake, that gets its sweetness from a frozen banana, a dash of honey, and if you like it really sweet, some stevia. Don’t forget the pinch of salt the recipe calls for. It adds a nice balance to the sweetness. Be sure to use a low sugar or all-fruit blueberry preserves, and be as artistic as you like drawing your streaks around the glass. See how I made mine in the video! If you have a really high-powered blender, you don’t need to soak the cashews. But if you want all the chunkers out of the shake, you might as well just soak them for a bit. To keep this vegan, omit the honey and just use stevia to taste. 2-3 packets should work perfectly!
BLUEBERRY VANILLA LAVENDER SHAKE
Yield: 2 servings
Serving Size: ½ shake
Prep Time: 5 min
- 1/4 cup low sugar blueberry preserves, stirred well
- 1/4 cup raw cashews, soaked for 2 hours and drained
- 1 3/4 cups unsweetened vanilla cashew milk
- 1 frozen banana
- 1 1/2 cups ice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract, or vanilla paste
- 2 teaspoons honey, and/or stevia to taste
- 1/2-3/4 teaspoon dried lavender
- pinch sea salt
- Spoon blueberry preserves into the bottom of two glasses.
- Prepare the shake by adding all ingredients to a high powered blender and processing until thick and smooth.
- Pour shake on top, swirl to decorate with a straw, and serve.
Net Carbs: 58g
Check out the video!