February 14, 2012
Being Clean and Fit ON THE GO!!!!
I’ve been doing so much traveling lately that my life has gone haywire! But you know what 2 things ground me? A good workout and good food. Here are my tips for staying fit and healthy when you’re traveling on business trips or vacay!
– Find out where the gym is! Does your hotel or place of stay have a gym connected? If so you’re good! If not, register for those free 3-7 day trials and you don’t have to pay to workout! If you stay longer, then you can pay by entry but it’s usually like $15-$20 a visit.
– My YouTube workouts! Duh. Click here to see all. But here’s my fave titled one:
– Bring lightweight fitness equipment. I brought my Human Trainer with me on this trip. It’s a great way to still “lift weights” using your own body weight.
– Printable workouts. I have a ton you can do without equipment and even no computer or wifi! These are mostly bodyweight exercises. You can see the whole collection here, but below is a super simple 1000 workout that takes just under 30 min to complete.
The general guideline here is to stay as close to WHOLE and as far away from PROCESSED as possible. Eat clean. I know it’s hard when you don’t have access to a proper kitchen and everything but here’s what I do.
Hotel w/ fridge and microwave:
– I head straight to the grocery store. Fruits for snacks, sometimes nuts like almonds (but it is so easy to overdo it), carrots with hummus (another great snack), oatmeal, frozen veggies, tuna in a can. I like to eat my oatmeal savory sometimes, do I will cook the oatmeal with the tuna. Perfect source of whole grains and clean clean clean protein. you can add the veggies in if you are having it for dinner. Great with a little soy sauce and sriracha. If you want breakfast, oatmeal with banana. Done.
– So tempted to “cheat”. But if you need to stay on track, stay as closed to steamed and grilled as possible! I sub all of my rice, potatoes, bread with salad. I ALWAYS ask them to do it. Sure, people will go “wait, no rice?” And I have to say “No rice.” A million times. It’s ok, just do it!
– Always ask for water. Water with lemon preferably. NO SODA!!!!!!
– Go light on the condiments!
– Order a side of steamed veggies to stay full.
My fave clean eating travel tip:
– Always keep a water bottle with you. You never know when you won’t have access to water and you don’t want to be dehydrated! Plus it’s great to fill up when empty. I learned this from my sis. We always bring an empty bottle with us to the airport and fill it up when we get inside at the fountains. Then on the plane, we ask the flight attendants to fill our bottles. Those mini cups never do it for me. I’d need to drink like 7.
Hope these tips help you for safe and healthy travels! Be well and eat clean! I also guest-blogged on Tosca Reno’s blog today (she’s the creator of the Eat Clean Diet), so be sure to go read my thoughts on why Pilates and Eating Clean go hand in hand. Soooooooooo excited to be featured as Tosca is one of my fitness idols! Here’s the article. Goes live at 12 Noon EST on Feb 15, so if it doesn’t work yet, check back again!
(Off to go workout at my local gym, free pass totally!!!!)