August 16, 2016
Oh my dough!
Seriously, it’s doughnut time (donut time? Not sure which way to spell it) and you need not feel guilty! These babies are made with bananas and beet powder! That’s how I got the beautiful pink colored frosting without using unnatural chemicals. You can buy it straight off Amazon, and it tastes really yummy. Beets can be very earthy, but the beet powder is ever so slightly sweet and has a more mellow beet flavor. When mixed with sweet banana and a little Greek yogurt, it’s delish, so even beet-haters will gobble them up.
Healthy doughnuts can be tricky because we all know how sweet and cake-y the real things are. But after much trial and error (I used all kind of different flours to keep these gluten-free for you), I settled on oat flour, because it tastes the most like whole wheat flour would. Coconut flour gets really dense in this recipe, and almond flour has a bit too much graininess.
I hope you like this lightened up, gluten-free and baked version! Make them for your friends, or keep them to yourself and use them all week as a snack!
THE BEST BAKED DONUTS RECIPE
Yield: 6 servings
Serving Size: 1 doughnut
Prep Time: 10 min
Cook Time: 9 min
- 3/4 cup oat flour
- 1 small ripe banana, mashed
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil, melted
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- Pinch of stevia
- 3 tablespoons vanilla Greek yogurt
- 1/2 ripe banana, mashed
- 2 teaspoons powdered zero-calorie sweetener (or a pinch of stevia)
- 1 teaspoon beet powder
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Coat a regular 6-serving doughnut pan with cooking spray.
- In a bowl, using beaters, add the oat flour, banana, eggs, honey and oil and mix until well incorporated. Add the vanilla, baking soda, salt and stevia and mix briefly to incorporate.
- Spoon into doughnut pan and bake for about 9 minutes, or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean. Don’t over bake or they’ll dry out. Let cool.
- Using a whisk and bowl or a mini blender, add the frosting ingredients and stir/process until completely smooth.
- Frost doughnuts with frosting, and serve. Top with coconut, sprinkles, goji berries, dried fruit or mini chocolate chips, if desired.
Calories: 147 | Protein: 5g | Fat: 5g | Net Carbs: 18.5g | Fiber: 2g