I definitely need my crunch and baked Kale chips seem like they may satisfy my taste buds. Gotta try this…looks interesting.
1) Pre-heat oven to 350F.
2) Rinse and dry the kale. Tear it (discarding the big veins) into large chip-sized pieces. (It’ll shrink some in cooking.)
3) Whisk together the olive oil and vinegar with a couple of pinches of salt in a small bowl.
4) Put kale in a big mixing bowl. Slowly add the oil/vinegar mix, until the kale is just coated.
5) Spread kale in a single layer on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet.
6) Bake for 10-15 minutes, flipping/moving around half-way. After about 10 min, keep an eye on it – you want it dry but not brown.
7) Let cool a bit.
You can make this in larger or smaller batches if you like – just keep the vinegar-to-oil ratio at 2:1, and make sure not to soak the kale. You can also add seasonings other than salt – cumin and paprika come to mind, or an Italian basil/oregano thing? Go wild. Kale and you – living on the wild side. Just maybe wait for the temperature outside to drop just a bit.
Approximate Calories, Fat, and Price Per Serving
177 calories, 8.5 g fat, $0.53
7 cups kale (in pieces): 234 calories, 3 g fat, $0.75
1 tablespoon oil: 120 calories, 14 g fat, $0.06
2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar: 0 calories, 0 fat, $.23
1 teaspoon kosher salt: negligible calories and fat, $0.01
TOTAL: 354 calories, 17 g fat, $1.05
PER SERVING (TOTAL/2): 177 calories, 8.5 g fat, $0.53