I saw how much you enjoyed my "How to do a headstand" video and wanted to do a similar one working on your flexibility. I thought I should redo my old video that I did in front of Tower Bridge in London at the 2012 Olympics! My new video shows you 9 steps towards getting your side splits. Here's what they are:
1. Leg Kicks - dynamic warm up to get your hammies loosened and blood flowing
2. Jumping Jacks - get your muscles warm
3. Long Lunge - make sure to do both sides for the rest of the stretches!
4. Hip Flexor Stretch
5. Leaning Hamstring Stretch
9. Lying Hamstring Stretch
--> Now try the side splits!
Things to note: Make sure your hips are square and that your back knee is directly on the mat or the floor. It's ok if you can't get down that low! Use your hands to help you go up higher and go down lower to the floor. Try to hold each stretch for at least 30 seconds! You'll get better each time. It may take weeks, months, or over a year to get the splits. The most important thing is that you practice, practice, PRACTICE! Gaining flexibility is a slow process. So embrace the journey :)
If you guys wanna see my 2012 follow along version of "How to do the splits" here it is!
What do you want to learn how to do next? Let me know below!
I made a printable for you in case you wanted to add this to your Blogilates printables collection along with your other workouts! It's the 9 warm up stretches I do before getting into the splits! Practice everyday. It will take time for your flexibility to increase, but it will happen!
Also, I want to do some sort of a challenge with you guys to get ready for 2015. Do you wanna do a 1 month, 2 month, or 3 month challenge? What do you want me to show you? How do you want me to help you? Let me know in the comments and I will design something just for you guys! I am here to help you so please, let me know what you want!
Look, I'm in a leotard!
Just kidding. Not that. I have a brand new 30 day challenge for you! WOOHOO! (Last month when I took a hiatus from our 30 day challenges, I was so sad...so I had to come back with a pow!)
This coming June I want to do something fun and different with you guys. I want you to focus on flexibility. Not only does being flexible prevent injury, it also helps you sculpt better posture AND you can truly get a deeper, more intense workout when you're movement is not restricted. Ya feels? So I present to you...THE STRETCH PROJECT. Begins June 1!
Here's how to participate:
1. Save this image and share it on your Instagram as a sign that you're in! Invite your friends to join.
3. Everyday beginning June 1, post a pic of the stretch of the day. Hashtag #thestretchproject and #blogilates
4. If you don't feel comfortable posting everyday for 30 days on your personal Instagram, make one its dedicated to fitness! You can use the words "Pop" or "blogilates" in your name so we all know you're a popster!
5. Follow each other and like each other's stuff!
6. Every single day for 30 days, I'm giving away a daily prize for participating! Blogilates flash tattoos!
Use the hashtags and make sure you're not on private so your post can be found. 30 Winners will be picked randomly from everywhere in the world!7. On day 30, I'm giving away a GRAND PRIZE - my summer beauty package!!
That's it! Make sure you hold each stretch for at least 15-30 seconds on each side. Ease into it. Do your best! The more you post, the higher chances you have of winning. I'll be posting my poses daily to remind you! We'll feature our faves on @poppilatesofficial! Yay and lets do this!! Are you in?
PS: I will be sharing the brand new June Calendar with you soon too! So sign up for the newsletter to get the secret password mailed shortly.
Happy Thursday! I've been so obsessed with looking at your Instagram posts for #thestretchproject! Wow, you guys look so spectacular! Today is day 4 and the stretch is the Child's Pose. Take a look!
I literally check Insta a million times a day because I love seeing how INTO IT you guys are! I also think it's so cute how many "popster", "pop", and "blogilates" accounts you guys have! It's so easy to spot a fellow POPster :) And! Beyond it all...the amount of support you guys give each other in terms of commenting, liking,and following each other is just phenomenal. You are true gems.
Day 5 teaser is going to be a little more difficult, so if you can't straighten your legs, do a half boat pose like below. Try to hold for at least 30 sec.
[caption id="attachment_19327" align="aligncenter" width="550"] Teaser modification.[/caption]
Doing this 30 day stretch challenge is already making me more flexible. Not only because I have "orders" to do them each day...but because the amount of time it takes to get a good photo out of the pose, makes me hold it for even longer! Anyone else feel this way?! Haha it is hilarious, but I end up stretching for way longer than I normally would!
Also, here is your new video of the week! It is your Swimsuit Slimdown! It's only 8 min long...but it is killer!!
Hope you are having a beautiful week so far! How are you feeling?
Introducing your brand new 30 day challenge for July! #JourneytoSplits. I'm going to teach you how to get into the side splits in just 1 month. This will be a VERY REWARDING journey, however, you will need to show me that you are DEDICATED. Increasing your flexibility at this level TAKES TIME. A little every day. You will need to stretch for at least 10 min a day if you're serious about getting into the splits in 1 month. But let me assure you right now that this feat is not impossible! Get excited because we're going to get there together :)
SO HERE'S HOW IT'S GOING TO WORK:
1. First of all I want to know that you're IN! So, everyday from today til July 1st, I'm giving away a set of Stretch Bands to a random POPster who has posted the above graphic on their Instagram! Make sure that you hashtag #JourneytoSplits and #Blogilates for your entry to be seen! Also follow@blogilates and @poppilatesofficial.
(If you don't have an Instagram account or don't feel comfortable posting on your personal one, just make a new one dedicated to your fitness! Feel free to use the words "POPster", "POP", or "Blogilates" in your username!)
2. Stick to the 30 days. Do not skip a single day. Promise? That's how you'll get into the splits. Every day I want you to post a picture of the pose of the day as a sign that you did your stretches. Hashtag #JourneytoSplits and #Blogilates.
3. Ok but here's how this month's challenge is different than The Stretch Project. Everyday I will need you to do stretches 1-5, your foundational stretches. You may not skip them. So, the first 5 days, you are doing the first 5 stretches! Then beginning day 6, you will just add one move on. So on day 6, you will do 1-5 and 6. On day 30, you will do 1-5 and 30. Get it? So you will do 6 moves a day beginning day 6.
4. How long to hold? I want you to hold each stretch for around 30 sec to 1 min per side. Total, each day you should spend around 10 min. stretching.
Yes, this is dedication! But, just like how I felt when I got into the headstand for the first time, it was PURE BLISS. You will feel so happy, accomplished, and just VICTORIOUS! Unlike losing weight or getting slimmer thighs, your goal is not driven by fitting into skinny jeans, societal pressures or vanity. It is genuinely for yourself regardless of what anyone else thinks. There's freedom in knowing that.
At the end of each week on Friday, I will be announcing a weekly winner of a special gift from ShopBlogilates.com just for participating in the #JourneytoSplits! All the winners will be announced on @poppilatesofficial. Prizes will look something like this...