Falafel Pita Pockets with Dill-icious Yogurt DipPER SERVING
WITH PITA (1 pita pocket with 3 falafel balls and 3 tbsp. dip):
PITA FREE (wrapped in lettuce, over a salad, or straight from a plate! 3 falafel balls and 3 tbsp. dip):
For Falafel Pockets: - 2 1/2 whole-wheat or high-fiber pitas - One 15-oz. can chickpeas, well drained - 1 onion, very finely chopped - 1/4 cup whole-wheat flour - 3 tbsp. finely chopped fresh parsley - 1 1/2 tbsp. chopped garlic - 1 tbsp. chopped fresh cilantro - 1/2 tbsp. ground cumin - 3/4 tsp. salt - 1/2 tsp. baking powder - 1/4 tsp. lemon juice - 1/8 tsp. paprika, or more to taste - black pepper, to taste - Two 2-second sprays olive oil nonstick spray
For Tzatziki Dip: - 6 oz. plain fat-free yogurt - 1 Persian cucumber, peeled and chopped (or another small cucumber, peeled, deseeded, and chopped) - 1 tsp. dried dill - 3/4 tsp. crushed garlic - 1/4 tsp. salt - black pepper, to tasteDirections: Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Place all ingredients for falafel (except for the pitas and nonstick spray) in a large bowl, and give them a good stir. Using a potato masher, mash well. Mixture should remain slightly chunky, not smooth. Spray a baking sheet thoroughly with a 2-second spray of olive oil nonstick spray. One at a time, take spoonfuls of mixture in your hands and form 15 balls, each about the size of a ping pong ball, and gently place them on the baking sheet. Spray the top of each ball with olive oil nonstick spray, for a total of about a 2-second spray. Bake in the oven for 15 minutes. Meanwhile, combine all ingredients for dip in a blender or food processor, and pulse until just blended. Season to taste with black pepper and refrigerate until ready to serve. Remove baking sheet from the oven, and carefully turn each ball over, gently reshaping if the bottoms have flattened. Return to the oven and bake for an additional 10 - 15 minutes, until golden brown and slightly crispy. Allow to cool and set for at least 5 minutes. Cut the whole pitas into halves, toast or warm all pita halves slightly, and then fill each with three falafel balls and 3 tbsp. dip. Enjoy! MAKES 5 SERVINGS Recipe from: http://www.hungry-girl.com/newsletters/raw/1225
Serves 4 (as a side)
- 2 cups baby carrots
- 4 tbsp butter (melted)
- salt & pepper (to taste)
- 1/2-3/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 3 tbsp chives (minced)Directions:
YIELD: About 13 dozen crackers BAKING TEMPERATURE: 400 degrees F BAKING TIME: 5 to 7 minutes
- 1 1/4 cups (5 ounces) whole wheat flour, traditional or white whole wheat - 1 1/2 tablespoons sugar - 1/2 teaspoon salt - 1/4 teaspoon paprika - 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick, 2 ounces) butter - 1/4 cup (2 ounces) water - 1/4 teaspoon vanilla - Additional salt for topping (optional)1. TO MAKE THE DOUGH: Combine the flour, sugar, salt and paprika in a medium bowl. Cut the butter into small pieces and mix it in thoroughly, using your fingers, a pastry blender, a mixer or a food processor. Combine the water and vanilla, and add to the flour mixture, mixing until smooth. 2. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Lightly grease baking sheets or line with parchment paper. 3. TO ROLL AND CUT THE DOUGH: Divide the dough into 4 pieces; keep the other pieces covered while you work with one at a time. Lightly flour your work surface and your rolling pin and roll the piece of dough into a large rectangle, which should be at least 12 inches square when trimmed. Keep your pin and the surface of your dough evenly floured. Flip the dough frequently to keep it from sticking, but too much flour will make it difficult to roll. Keep rolling until the dough is as thin as you can get it without tearing, at least 1/16 inch thick. Trim the dough to even the edges and use a pizza cutter or a sharp knife to cut the piece into squares approximately 1 1/2 inches wide. 4. Transfer the squares to a prepared baking sheet; you can crowd them together, as they don’t expand while baking. Sprinkle the squares lightly with salt, if desired. Repeat with the remaining pieces of dough. Save the scraps under plastic wrap and reroll them all at once just one time. 5. TO BAKE THE CRACKERS: Bake the crackers, one sheet at a time, until crisp and browned, 5 to 7 minutes. If some of the thinner crackers brown too quickly, remove them and return the remaining crackers to the oven to finish baking. These crackers bake quickly, so watch them closely - even 30 seconds can turn them from golden brown to toast! Remove the crackers from the oven and cool on the pan or on a plate; they cool quickly. These crackers will stay crisp for several days, but are best stored in airtight containers. NUTRITION INFORMATION PER SERVING (20 CRACKERS, 29G): 18g whole grains, 101 cal, 5g fat, 2g protein, 11g complex carbohydrates, 2g sugar, 2g dietary fiber, 13mg cholesterol, 108mg sodium, 64mg potassium, 48RE vitamin A, 1mg iron, 7mg calcium, 53mg phosphorus. These turned out unexectedly like the store bought ones! My first batch was kinda bendy though - I was afraid to leave em in the oven for fear of burning, but after that I kept checking every 30 seconds until they were darker and crispier. Eventually they went from wheat thin “cookies” to wheat thin crackers! Give it a shot! It is pretty easy! Here’s where I got the recipe: http://www.foodbuzz.com/recipes/1765625-homemade-wheat-thins
- Large bunch of kale (once in pieces, there will be 6 or 8 cups) - 1 T olive oil - 2 T vinegar (apple cider vinegar or rice vinegar) - salt1) Pre-heat oven to 350F. 2) Rinse and dry the kale. Tear it (discarding the big veins) into large chip-sized pieces. (It’ll shrink some in cooking.) 3) Whisk together the olive oil and vinegar with a couple of pinches of salt in a small bowl. 4) Put kale in a big mixing bowl. Slowly add the oil/vinegar mix, until the kale is just coated. 5) Spread kale in a single layer on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet. 6) Bake for 10-15 minutes, flipping/moving around half-way. After about 10 min, keep an eye on it – you want it dry but not brown. 7) Let cool a bit. You can make this in larger or smaller batches if you like – just keep the vinegar-to-oil ratio at 2:1, and make sure not to soak the kale. You can also add seasonings other than salt – cumin and paprika come to mind, or an Italian basil/oregano thing? Go wild. Kale and you – living on the wild side. Just maybe wait for the temperature outside to drop just a bit. Approximate Calories, Fat, and Price Per Serving 177 calories, 8.5 g fat, $0.53 Calculations 7 cups kale (in pieces): 234 calories, 3 g fat, $0.75 1 tablespoon oil: 120 calories, 14 g fat, $0.06 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar: 0 calories, 0 fat, $.23 1 teaspoon kosher salt: negligible calories and fat, $0.01 TOTAL: 354 calories, 17 g fat, $1.05 PER SERVING (TOTAL/2): 177 calories, 8.5 g fat, $0.53 [Also, one serving contains 30% of your daily potassium, 417% of Vitamin A, 469% Vitamin C, 32% Calcium, 22% Iron, 12-32% of the various vitamins B (except for B12), 20% Magnesium, and 34% of your daily recommended intake of Copper. ]
Weight Watchers Baked Banana Chips recipe
Makes 6 servings
Ingredients - 2 ripe bananas - 1 tablespoon lemon juicePreparation 1. Cut the bananas into thin slices. 2. Coat the slices in lemon juice. 3. Place the banana slices on parchment paper and bake them in the oven at 200 degrees F, turning every half hour and watching out for burning. 4. Remove them when they are crispy; let them cool, and store them in an airtight container. WW POINTS per serving: 1 Nutritional Information per serving: 36 calories, 0.1g fat, 1g fiber
Healthy Roasted Chickpea Snack Servings: 3 servings • Size: 5 oz • Old Points: 2 pts • Points+: 4 pts Calories: 149.4 • Fat: 3.4 g • Carb: 29.2 g • Fiber: 10.5 g • Protein: 7.5 g
- 15 oz can chickpeas, drained
- olive oil spray
- 1 tsp chili pepper powder (to taste)
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp coriander
- 1 tsp curry powder
- 1 tsp garlic powderPreheat oven to 375°. Drain chickpeas in a colander and let them dry completely. Pat dry with a paper towel if needed. Arrange on a baking sheet in a single layer and roast for about 30-35 minutes, shaking the pan every ten minutes. All ovens are different so make sure they don’t burn. They will be golden brown and crunchy on the inside when done, not moist. In a medium bowl, combine all the spices. Remove chickpeas from oven when done and spray with olive oil spray. Immediately toss with spices while hot. Eat at room temperature.
-one 2lb butternut squash
-2 tablespoons canola oil
-some saltDirections: Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Peel and cut the squash into long, thin french fry shapes (roughly 1/3″ thick). In a large bowl, toss the squash with oil, using your hands to evenly coat each one. Lay them on a wire rack set on top of a baking sheet and salt them. Bake for about 40 minutes, flipping halfway for even crispness. Serve immediately! Nutrition info for 1/4 of the entire recipe: Calories: 151.9, Fat: 7.2g, Cholesterol: 0mg, Carb: 23.6g, Fiber: 6.6g, Protein: 2.0g Recipe borrowed from: http://canyoustayfordinner.com/2011/02/22/baked-butternut-squash-fries/
Lime Butter Salmon with Cilantro Lime Cauliflower Rice
For the Fish:
- 2 tablespoons unsalted light butter
- 2 small limes, + 1 small lime for serving
- Kosher salt and black pepper
- 2 salmon filets
For the Rice:
- 1 small head cauliflower, chopped
- 1 handful cilantro, chopped
- 1/2 small lime
- Kosher salt and black pepper
1. Add the butter and the juice of two small limes to a small saucepan. Heat over low heat until melted.
2. Add the cauliflower to a pot, and steam until just cooked, approximately 5 minutes. Drain and keep warm in the covered pan.
3. Heat a non-stick saute pan over medium heat. Season both sides of each salmon filet with salt and pepper. Gently pour some of the lime butter over each side of the salmon, patting with your fingers, and then place the salmon in the pan. Cook for approximately 4-5 minutes per side, until the fish is cooked through and crispy on the edges.
3. While the salmon is cooking, use your ricing attachment on your food processor to grate the cauliflower. Add the cilantro, the juice of 1/2 lime, and some salt and pepper to the rice. Stir to combine.
4. Serve the cauliflower rice topped with the salmon. Drizzle a bit of any remaining lime butter over the salmon. Serve each plate with 1/2 lime to squeeze over the entire meal, if desired. The extra lime juice is highly recommended, because it really takes the lime flavor in this meal over the top!
Note: If you don’t have a food processer, use a grater or chop with a knife! To cut even more calories, just steam or bake your salmon and don’t use any butter.
Nutrition info for cauliflower: for one small head with a 4” diameter, you get 66 calories, 0.3g fat, 14g carbs, 5.2g protein, and 6.6g fiber!
Recipe borrowed from OurLifeInFood.com
Black Bean and Sweet Potato Burger
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 2 cloves garlic
- 15 ounce can of black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 sweet potato, chopped into 1/2 inch pieces and boiled for 7-8 minutes until soft, with skin
- 2.5 T ground flax, 3 T water
- 2 T paprika
- 1 T cumin
- pinch of salt, or to taste
Heat a skillet with non-stick spray. Once warm add the onion and garlic in to the skillet and cook until they are limp and start to brown a bit. Put the cooked onion mixture into a food processor or blender. Add the beans and potato chunks and pulse five or six times. The beans should be broken up but there should still be some small chunks. Don’t over process, as you want your bean burgers to be a little chunky.
Transfer the veggie and bean mixture into large bowl and stir in remaining ingredients and form into small 3” patties (or bigger if you’re actually going to eat it in a burger bun).
In the same skillet, heat on medium, spray non-stick spray and add the patties, cook each side until browned, about 6-7 minutes total OR you can bake them on 375° for about 25 minutes, flipping once.
Note: I omitted bread crumbs which was included in the original recipe to avoid refined carbs, but go ahead and try adding some 100% whole wheat bread crumbs if your mixture needs some more bulk.
Nutrition info: One 3” patty (50g) yields 39 calories, 0.5g fat, 6.6g carbs, and 2g protein. Each tiny patty also gives you 2g of fiber each. Yum indeed!
Pico De Gallo Recipe
Instead of using ketchup or salsa, try topping your omelet with homemade Pico de Gallo for a fresh and healthy twist.
- 6 Roma Tomatoes seeded and chopped very small
- 1 med. onion finely chopped
- 6 Serrano peppers diced
- 1 good handful of fresh cilantro roughly chopped
- 1/2 lime fresh squeezed
- Add salt to taste if desired
- Mix altogether and enjoy!
Nutrition Info: 1/4 cup = 1 serving. 26 calories. 0g fat. 6g carbs. 1g protein.
- 1/2 ripe avocado
- 3/4 cup packed fresh cilantro
- 1/2 cup nonfat plain yogurt
- 2 scallions, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, quartered
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
Place all ingredients in a food processor and once all mushed up, keep in your fridge for up to 3 days!
Nutrition info, per tablespoon: 16 calories; 1 g fat ( 0 g sat , 1 g mono ); 0 mg cholesterol; 2 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 1 g protein; 1 g fiber; 80 mg sodium; 61 mg potassium.
- 1 part carrot
- 1 part sweet potato (I left skin on)
- Lemon juice to taste
- Salt and pepper to taste if desired (I didn’t actually need to add any)Directions: 1. Cut carrots and sweet potatoes into small chunks. 2. Boil water and place chopped carrots and potatoes in once water is bubbling. 3. Cook for as long as it takes for veggies to get tender enough to mash. Check with a fork and see if the prongs can easily puncture the potatoes and carrots. 4. Once soft enough, drain the water from the pot and then use a masher to mush everything together. Add salt, pepper, and lemon juice to taste if desired. That’s it! And you’re ready to eat! Yum! Nutrition info: serving = 8oz, 154 calories, 0g fat, 35g carbs, 3g protein, 7g fiber.
Cauliflower Rice w/ Onion & Celery
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 cup celery, finely diced
- 1 head cauliflower, trimmed and coarsely chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon celtic sea salt
1. In a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat
2. Saute onion over medium heat for 10 minutes, until soft
3. Add celery to skillet and saute for 5 minutes
4. Meanwhile, place cauliflower in a food processor with the “S” blade and process until the texture of rice
5. Add cauliflower to skillet, cover and cook 5-10 minutes, until soft, then add salt
Recipe from Elana’s Pantry
- 8 egg whites
- 1 cup Rolled Oats
- 1/2 cup cottage cheese, fat free
- 4 scoops Any Whey protein powder
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 tablespoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup splenda
- 3 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 cup grated carrots
- 1/3 cup crushed pineapple drained or applesauce
Optional (not included in cal calc)
- 2 tablespoons raisins — optional
- 2 tablespoons almonds — or walnuts, optional
1. Combine Egg Whites and next 7 ingredients (Egg Whites to Cinnamon) in a blender. Blend in a blender. Gently fold carrots, pineapples, nuts and raisins.
2. Spoon batter into muffin pans coated with cooking spray, filling 3/4 full. Bake at 375 degrees for 30 minutes or until golden. Remove from pan immediately.
Number of Servings: 14Nutrition info: 71.9 calories per muffin. 0.5g fat. 7.6g carbs. 1.1 fiber. 8.5g protein. Recipe from SparkRecipes
- 3/4 Cup nonfat cottage cheese
- 2/3 cup nonfat plain yogurt
- 1 TBS flour
- 2 TBS sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 4 egg whites
- Juice from 1/2 a lemon
- 1/2 cup assorted fresh berriesDIRECTIONS: 1. Place all ingredients except for eggs in the blender or food processor and whip until the batter is smooth. 2. Now add the eggs and give it a few pulses. 3. Finally, add the fruits and gently mix them in with a spoon. Do NOT blend! 4. Spray the bottom of your pan with some cooking spray or lightly cover with oil. 5. Pour the batter in. 6. Place the pan into your oven which should be set at 350 degrees. The suggested time for cooking is around 30 minutes but check frequently to make sure the cheesecake does not brown or dry out. 7. When done, serve either super hot straight out of the oven or chilled in the fridge. Enjoy! Here are my lovelies waiting to be put into the oven. OMG looks delightful! The final product! I wish I could blog a smell because my kitchen was smelling heavenly!!! THE TASTE? I was very surprised, but the taste was delicious even though it did not have the same stickiness and density of a real cheesecake. I used nonfat everything so that also contributed to the texture a lot. I read that if you use lowfat cottage cheese and yogurt, the consistency will be less crumbly. I also think I could have left the cheesecakes in the oven a tiny bit longer so that they could hold better together. (My excited-ness made me take them out of the oven early.) Anyway, wonderful dessert and EVEN better nutrition facts! Each little square turned out to be only 33 calories! NUTRITION FACTS: Total recipe (391 g): 398 calories, 0g fat, 63g carbs, 1.7g fiber, 52g sugar, 38g protein. Per square (391g/12 squares =33g): 33 calories, 0g fat, 5.3g carbs, 0.1g fiber, 4g sugar, 3.2g protein. Recipe borrowed then modified from BakingBites.com
- 1 cup quick oats oatmeal
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1.5 TBS sugar-free strawberry preserves (or you can use honey)
- 1 TBS of apple sauce (or you can use vegetable oil)
- 1 cup vanilla soy milk (or regular milk)
- optional: dash of vanilla extract and touch of cinnamonDIRECTIONS: 1. Place everything except for the apple sauce and soy milk into a blender. 2. Mix the milk and apple sauce thoroughly. Then pour into the blender. This prevents uneven lumpiness and spots of random sweetness in the bread. 3. Set the oven to 350 degrees. 4. Spray bottom of your pan or muffin tray with cooking spray. 5. Pour the batter in and then place in the oven! 6. Should take about 20 minutes, but constantly check. Bread will be done when you puncture with a fork and no goo sticks to the prongs of your fork. 7. Enjoy with some jam and low fat butter! Yum! The ingredients in my blender. What a wholesome medley! Look at that dough! I actually ate some off of my fingers. It was THAT good. The aroma somehow took me back to childhood when the days were so carefree… Ding! My bread muffins are done! A dozen! NUTRITION FACTS: Total recipe: 848 calories, 104 cals from fat. 12g fat. 165g carbs. 21g fiber. 7.7g sugar. 32g protein. Per muffin or slice (assuming you cut/divided into 12 pieces): 71 cals, 9 cals from fat. 1g fat. 14g carbs. 2g fiber. 0.6g sugar. 3g protein.
- 1 banana
- Cooking spray
- 1 cup plain nonfat yogurt
- 1/2 scoop of whey protein powderDirections: 1. Slice the banana up into thin circles. Then spray your pan with cooking spray. Use medium heat. Once the bananas turn a rich yellow golden color and have slightly browned, you’re good! 2. Now mix the yogurt with the whey protein powder until all the chunks disappear. This is optional. I only added the powder because I needed extra protein today, but the bananas may give off enough sweetness so that you won’t need the vanilla flavor. 3. Top the yogurt with the bananas. Enjoy! Hot and cold, a total mouth explosion! Lots of protein from the plain nonfat yogurt and vanilla whey protein powder. The bananas provide a good source of Dietary Fiber, Vitamin C, Potassium and Manganese, and a very good source of Vitamin B6. Check out the stats, you’re gonna love it! Nutrition Info: Total recipe w/o protein powder (1 serving): 220 calories, 0g fat, 38g carbs, 12g protein. Total recipe w/ protein powder (1 serving): 287 calories, 1g fat, 39g carbs, 25g protein.
My cuts. I kept the skin on of course.
Toss time!The finished product was YUM!!!
- 1-2 large sweet potatoes, I kept the skin on for extra nutritional goodness
- Canola or vegetable oil (you can omit this if you want)
- 1/2 tsp. cumin
- 1 Tbsp. chili powder
- 1/2 tsp. coriander
- 1/2 tsp. paprika
- cayenne pepper, to taste (optional)
- salt and pepperDirections: 1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a baking pan with aluminum foil. 2. Mix all of the spices together in a large bowl. 3. Now place the oil in another large bowl and throw the cut potato slices in. Once coated, throw your mixed spice medley onto the fries and toss around to make sure each one is nice and coated. 4. Place fries on your foil which should be sprayed lightly with some kind of cooking spray. 5. Put in the oven and bake until the fries are crispy, 20-30 minutes. 6. Remove fries from oven and enjoy! Nutrition info: One medium sweet potato has 105 calories, 4g of fiber, and a 438% of the recommended daily value for vitamin A. The spices don’t add calories!
I tried making muffin faces with strawberries and blueberries. They don’t look too happy. Sorry, it was 12AM.
OMG gorgeous! Look how they turned out!Moist and superbly delightful. Not too sweet.
- 100g instant oatmeal
- 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 TBSP baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1 cup of mashed banana (I used 2 bananas and the bread was just sweet enough, but if you like really sweet, use 3)
- 1/4 cup splenda (didn’t have any, so used regular sugar, that’s why the muffin is 100 cals, it could be less)
- 1/2 cup unsweetened apple sauce
- 3 TBSP egg white
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp cinnamonDirections: 1. Mix all dry ingredients together in a large mixing bowl. Set oven to 350 degrees F. 2. Then mix all of the wet ingredients together in a separate bowl. I added the banana to this mixture and mushed it up with a spoon. I left it kind of chunky so that I could taste the chunks in my muffin. 3. Now mix both together in the large mixing bowl. 4. Once all stirred up and even, spray a muffin pan with cooking spray and then dollop the batter into each little muffin hole. Makes 12. 5. Top with fruits if you desire. 6. Place in oven for 15-20 min. To check if your muffins are done, take a toothpick and puncture the bread. If it comes out clean you’re done. If it comes out with some goo sticking on it, you need to leave it in the oven a wee bit longer. Taste test!!! OMG YUM is all I have to say. I was supposed to only “try” one, but I ate two and yes I could still eat more. They are soooooooooooo goooooooood! Moist and just SLIGHTLY sweet. If you really like super sweetness, add the 3rd banana. Nutrition Info: 1 muffin (1 serving): 100 calories, 0.8g fat, 22 g carbs, 2.2 g fiber, 3 g protein. Total recipe (12 muffins): 1200 calories, 10g fat, 255g carbs, 27g fiber, 35g protein. Vitamin A 6%. Vitamin C 42%. Calcium 14%. Iron 38%.
- 1 cup vital wheat gluten
- 3/4 cup water or broth
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp ginger powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 6 cups broth; for cooking
- 3 slices onion; (optional)
- 2 pieces fresh ginger; (optional)DIRECTIONS:
1. Combine gluten flour and dry spices in a medium sized bowl.
2. In a separate bowl, mix soy sauce and 3/4 cup broth or water.
3. Add liquid to dry ingredients and stir gently to combine. Once mixture is well combined, knead seitan 10-15 times, allow to sit for 5 minutes, then knead a few more times.
4. Separate your ball of gluten into three or four smaller chunks. Gently stretch each piece into a flat cutlet, around 3/4 inch thick. Seitan will expand when cooking, so you’ll want to start out with somewhat thin cutlets. Don’t worry about any holes that may form in the gluten.
5. Add seitan to 4 cups of broth in a large pot and bring to a slow simmer. You can add extra spices or flavors to this broth as well. Cover pot and allow to cook for an hour or more. Be sure to use a large pot and plenty of broth, as seitan will expand. Seitan is done cooking when it has firmed.
6. Remove from broth, allow to cool and use in a recipe or make a seitan stir-fry.
Seitan keeps well in the freezer in a sealed container or zip lock bag, so make a double batch and freeze for later, thawing for an hour or two first before using.NUTRITION INFO (4 oz, 1 serving): 114 cals, 2.1g fat, 3.6g carbs, 20.3g protein.
(Less than 250 calorie breakfast)
- 1/4 cup egg white
- 1/2 banana
- 1 scoop vanilla protein powder (I used Body Fortress Super Whey Protein - Vanilla)
- 2 tbs vanilla almond milk or skim milk
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tbs ground flax seedDIRECTIONS: 1. Mash up your banana first, make sure it is quite ripe or else this could be hard… 2. Then add all the goods and mix it up! 3. Use a non stick pan and spray with cooking spray, put on low-medium heat 4. Dollop the batter onto your pan (I made mine in tablespoon portions so I could eat more mini pancakes) 5. Once it begins to bubble (took about 30 sec - 1 min), flip over and let sit for about another 20-30 sec. 6. Slide off of pan and enjoy! This makes exactly 1 serving. I got 9 mini pancakes out of this, each about 3.5” diameter. TASTE: I was seriously surprised at how easy this was to make. It also tasted like I was eating pancakes from a powdered mix. That sensation of eating bread was definitely there. You’ll love this. Top with sugar free jam and light butter if you’d like! NUTRITION INFO (total recipe, 1 serving, nine 3.5” mini pancakes): 250 calories, 5.6 g fat, 19.0 g carbs, 31.8 g protein. Recipe from: Tone it Up!
- 2 bags of Miracle Noodles Fettucine
- 1 chicken breast, chopped
- 1 small head of broccoli
- 2 carrots
- 1 can of straw mushrooms
- 2 green onion stalks
- 1 small onion
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
FOR THE SAUCE:
- 1/4 cup lite low sodium soy sauce
- 1/2 cup freshly squeezed lime juice
- 2 TBS of peanut butter (I used Better N Peanut Butter, only 100 cals per 2 TBS vs 200 cals using regular peanut butter)
- 2 TBS sriracha hot sauce (It was pretty spicy and I liked it but for the average person, I’d suggest you stick to just 1 TBS)
- 1/4 cup Splenda (you can use sugar if you want but my nutrition info is based off of Splenda)DIRECTIONS: 1. Pour noodles out of bag into a sifter and let drain. Rinse with cool water. Then place in a bowl of warm water for 2 min. Pour on paper towel and pat dry. 2. Steam your chicken breast! Slice into small chunks when ready. 3. Then steam your broccoli and your carrots which should be chopped up. Chop up all your veggies. 4. To make the sauce, simply mix all of the sauce ingredients together, mix it up and place in the microwave for 20 sec. 5. Now to the pan! Lightly oil your pan with extra virgin olive oil and add minced garlic. Then add sliced onions. Once onions have turned a little clear, add the mushrooms, broccoli, carrots, and chicken. 6. Sautee a little and pour 1/2 of your sauce on top. Mix around. 7. Then add your noodles, stir, and add the rest of the sauce. 8. Lastly, garnish with some chopped green onion on top. Give a quick stir! 9. You’re done! EAT!!! There it is! Delish huh? TASTE: Noodles reminded me of glass noodles at a Chinese restaurant. I loved it. Slightly chewy and it bounced around in my mouth. That was pretty fun. The sauce was so perfect - the intensity of the lime really brought out the authentic Thai taste. This Pad Thai dish was a definite success! NUTRITION INFO (for 1 serving): 150 cals, 3.3g fat, 13.5g carbs, 4g fiber, 18.8g protein. This recipe makes 4 servings. You can buy your own Miracle Noodles here!
CINNAMON ROLL (1 serving):
- 1 scoop vanilla protein powder (I use Body Fortress Super Advanced Whey Protein)
- 4 TBSP of egg whites (or you can use 1 egg, calculations based off of egg whites)
- 1/2 TBSP water
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp splenda or stevia (I calculated calories with splenda)
FITNESS FROSTING (1 serving):
- 1 heaping tablespoon of Chobani nonfat greek yogurt
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- a tiny pinch of splenda or stevia to taste (I calculated calories with splenda)
1. In a coffee mug, mix protein powder, egg white, water, cinnamon and sweetener till blended well.
2. Place in the microwave for about 45 seconds. The batter will rise a ton so make sure you keep an eye on it so it doesn’t spill over. If it is not ready when you take it out just place in the microwave again for 10 seconds at a time until firm.
3. Flip over onto a plate and cut in 2!
4. For the fitness frosting, simply mix your Chobani greek yogurt, sweetener and vanilla extract together until smooth. Then top your little guys.
5. Sprinkle with a little more cinnamon on top for the Cinnabon effect.
6. EAT!!!!NUTRITION FACTS: 194 cals, 0.7g fat, 6.9g carbs, 2.2g fiber, 37g protein (whoa amazing!)
- 1 package of Miracle Rice
- Kikkoman low sodium soy sauce
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Green onion
- 1 carrot, steamed
- 1 cup broccoli, steamed
- 3 oz chicken breast, steamed
- 1 eggDIRECTIONS: 1. Steam your chicken to keep all the nutrients in. Once the chicken is 3/4 way done, add the whole carrot, then place the broccoli in last. Great way to use just one steamer and save on time. 2. Next, drain your miracle rice bag into a sifter. Rinse a few times under your faucet. Then let set in a bowl of warm water for 2 min. No need to cook, it’s ready to eat! 3. Go ahead and chop your chicken, broccoli, carrots, and green onion. 4. Heat up a wok or big frying pan. Lather with a teensy bit of olive oil. 5. Scramble your egg. Then remove onto separate plate. 6. Throw your miracle rice on the pan. Fry around a little. Then throw in the veggies, egg, and chicken. 7. Pour some soy sauce on there! But don’t overdo it. Just spritz to taste. 8. Some people like their fried rice a little sweet, so add a pinch stevia or splenda if you like, but I didn’t add any. 9. That’s it! Seriously. EAT. NUTRITION INFO: Makes 2 servings. 150 calories. 9g fat. 17g carbs. 22g protein. 7g fiber. Check out my 150 calorie pad thai recipe. If you’re interested in getting some baggies of Miracle Noodles or Miracle rice, you can get em online on their website here. There’s even angel hair and fettucine!
- 3 oz of 97% fat free lean ground turkey
- 1TBS of spicy fermented soybeans, don’t grab the oil
Note: you can get this at your local Asian food grocer, sometimes it is called Black Beans with Chili. Same aisle as soy sauce and hot sauce.
- 1 can of Golden Mushrooms, drained
- 1/2 a head of iceberg lettuceDIRECTIONS: 1. Place the the soy beans into a frying pan or wok first. It is a oily so this will provide a good slick base. High heat. 2. Throw in the mushrooms. I love these stringy guys. They are like healthy fake noodles! Make sure they suck in the sauce from the soy beans. You can tell when they turn a little brownish. 3. Sprinkle 3 oz of the ground turkey on there. 4. Sautee it up for a few minutes until the meat is fully cooked through. I would say my whole sauteeing time from the moment I placed the soy beans on there til the time I turned off the stove was like 5 minutes. 5. Cut your fresh head of iceberg lettuce in half and run under cold water to rinse. Chop off the nubby white part at the bottom. 6. Done!!! Place the sauteed goodness in a plate and the lettuce on another plate and serve! This recipe makes 2 servings or 1 if you’re really hungry. These were so delish. I need to have them again. Low cal and super yummers!
- 3/4 cup special K cereal
- 1/4 cup egg whites
- 4oz fat free cottage cheese
- 1 scoop vanilla protein powder
- 1 tsp vanilla 1 tsp of baking powder
- cinnamon to taste
- stevia to tasteDirections: 1. Preheat oven to 350. 2. Mix all ingredents together, will have a thick consistency, either scoop onto cookie sheet to form cookies or spread in a baking dish to make bars. 3. Bake for 18 to 20 minutes. Insert toothpick to determine if done. NUTRITION INFO: Makes 4 servings. Calories - 78.8 Fat - 0.6 carbs - 6.6 protein - 11.5 fiber is neglible, calorie content does not include amounts for stevia
INGREDIENTS (Serves 2-3)
- 1 1/2 ripe avocados
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons stevia (or to taste)
- 2- 4 oz containers soy yogurt
- 1/2 cup soy/almond milk
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extractDIRECTIONS: 1. With the lemon zest set aside, place all of the other ingredients in a food processor or blender and mix up til smooth. 2. Then scoop everything out into a bowl or ice cream maker. Stir in the zest. Tip: If you don’t have an ice cream maker, then freeze the mixture in an airtight container for about 2 hours. Then when ready, take out, let it thaw a bit, and give it another stir. YUM!!! Adapted from The Vegan Scoop
- whole spaghetti squash, about $2.99 at Trader Joes (serves 4 people or more)
- marinara sauce
- veggies or meat of your choiceDIRECTIONS: 1. Wash the skin of the squash, cut it in half, length-wise if possible (unlike me). The squash is very hard like a pumpkin so be careful! 2. Place 1/2 of the squash in the microwave on HIGH POWER for 15 min. Yes. 15 min. And you do not need an oven. 3. In the mean time, sautee some veggies. I had some red pepper laying around. 4. Once the squash is done "roasting" in your microwave, take it out (be careful, it's hot!) and cut length wise. Then scoop the seeds out. 5. Then, using a fork, simply scrape out the squash. It gets all stringy! 6. Place the hot "spaghetti" on a plate, smother with marinara sauce, and top with your sauteed veggies. I'd definitely add basil if I had some. 7. Optional: also smother with sriracha :P THEN DEVOUR! Eat! Enjoy! I ate a ton and felt super light but full afterwards! Next time, I will add some sort of a protein in there but OH MAN this recipe surpassed my expectations. I am in love with spaghetti squash. It has a semi-sweet taste and is BETTER than noodles. Seriously. I need to try making pad thai with this! And chow mein. And pho. And all sorts of noodle/pasta dishes!!! It wins my food of the month award! Totally Blogilates-approved! Have you ever tried spaghetti squash? What are your techniques and what have you made before?
Shirataki Noodles in Peanut Sauce, Recipe from Flavors in Love
Serves 4 people
- 1 head of broccoli, cut into florets
- 8 asparagus spears, angle-cut into 2 inch pieces
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 packages of Shirataki noodles (you can substitute with 9 oz of regular pasta)
- 1 tablespoon dark sesame oil
Peanut Sauce, recipe follows
- 2/3 cup chopped scallions
- 3 cups shredded purple cabbage
- 3/4 cup roasted peanuts, chopped
- 1/3 cup chopped cilantroBring a large pot of water to a boil. Add the broccoli and 2 teaspoons of salt. Cook uncovered about 4 minutes, until crisp-tender. Transfer the broccoli with a slotted spoon to a bowl of ice water. Bring the pot of water back to a boil and add the asparagus. Cook 3 minutes until crisp-tender. Add to the bowl of ice water. When the vegetables are cool, drain them and pat dry. Bring a new pot of water to a boil and follow the cooking instructions on your noodle package. Cook just until al dente. Drain well and toss in a bowl with the sesame oil. Add the peanut dressing, broccoli, and asparagus to the bowl with the noodles. Toss well. This dish will keep well at room temperature for 1 hour. Spread the cabbage out on a serving platter and top with the noodles. Garnish with the scallions, peanuts, and cilantro. PEANUT SAUCE: This sauce can be prepared several days in advance, which enhances the flavor. 1 cup smooth peanut butter 1/2 cup vegetable broth 2/3 cup tamari or other soy sauce 1/4 cup dark sesame oil 4 teaspoons red wine vinegar 4 teaspoons agave syrup or sugar 4 teaspoons minced ginger 3 minced garlic cloves 1 tablespoon hot sauce In a food processor or blender, combine all ingredients. Process until smooth.
Cassey's Oatmeal Date Cookie Recipe
- 1/4 cup dried oats
- 1/4 cup cottage cheese (I used my 2%)
- 4 pitted medjool dates OR 2 packets of Stevia (this is recommended for anyone watching your sugar intake, carbs, and calories. Will break down nutrition facts below.)
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1 egg white
- dash of cinnamonDIRECTIONS: 1. Mix all ingredients together in a food processor. Make sure dates get all mashed up. Chunks are okay. 2. Scoop the batter onto a tray after spraying with some PAM. Make mini cookies! 3. Then bake at 350F for about 15-20 min or until firm and the tops are slightly browned. NUTRITION INFO (entire recipe): *With dates: 235 cals, 2.4g fat, 52g carbs, 16g protein. *With Stevia: 143 cals, 0g fat, 28.1g carbs, 15.3g protein. THE VERDICT? I was so so so impressed that I could make a cookie taste sweet without using an artificial sweetener! Dates are an all natural alternative. The cookies were really good! If you're on the 90 Day Challenge, make these with Stevia. I need to go get some. So how does this fit into the plan? You could def sub it for breakfast if you're on the go. Make em the night before and grab as you're leaving the house. OR! If you're just dying to "cheat", you have a massive cookie craving, or if you still feel hungry, you can make a batch of these as a pick-me-up. Don't have them ALL THE TIME as add-ons though...it will add up. Enjoy! Try it! Happy Saturday! <3 Cassey
"Blogilates Perfect Pumpkin Protein Pancake"
- 1 scoop vanilla protein powder
- 4 TBS canned pumpkin pureee
- 1 TBS ground flax seed
- 2 egg whites or 1/4 cup liquid egg whites
- 2 TBS almond milk, soy milk, or skim milk
- 1/2 tsp of Stevia
- pinch of baking powder
- dash cinnamon
With cottage cheese. The best! (Someone on FB suggested putting cinnamon on the cottage!)
With peanut butter. Good, but didn't allow me to savor the pumpkin flavor.
For those of you on the 90 Day Challenge, you can eat these for bfast anyday! Super clean, yummy, and good for you. You can even have them for lunch and dinner. I am kind of addicted.
Please post your pics on facebook once you make them! How else LOVES pumpkins!!!! And Fall!!!! And the Holidays!!! Meeeeeeee.....
|Food||Fiber (g)||Other benefits|
|Apple, large 3.35" diameter||5g||Vitamin C, Potassium|
|Green beans, 1 cup||4g||Vitamin C (30% daily value or DV)|
|Sweet potatoes, skin on, medium, size of computer mouse||5g||103 cals, 438% DV Vitamin A for good eyes, 37% DV Vitamin C, Potassium, Vitamin E, Iron, Magnesium, Beta Carotene, Lutein, Zeaxanthin|
|Raspberries, 1 cup||8g||Vitamin C, also helps lower cholesterol|
|Strawberries, 1 cup||3g||Vitamin C|
|Chickpeas, 3/4 cup||8g||Vitamin B6 + Folate = help build healthy new cells|
|Pumpkin, 1 cup cooked||3g||245% DV Vitamin A, Vitamin C, E, Potassium|
Ingredients (4-5 servings):
INGREDIENTS (makes 1 dozen cheesecakes, if baked in a cupcake pan)
- 1 cup of nonfat plain Greek yogurt
- 2 tbsp of nonfat or 1-2% fat cottage cheese (I used 2%)
- 1 tbsp of whole wheat flour (orig. recipe called for coconut flour, but I didn't have any)
- 1 whole medium lemon
- 2 fresh organic eggs
- 1/4 cup of vanilla whey
- 1/4 cup Stevia
- 1/2 cup berries
- 1/2 cup of walnuts
- 6-7 pitted medjool dates
|Without Crust||With Crust|
Greek Yogurt Gelato (Yields 8 four ounce servings)
- 32 oz. non-fat Greek yoghurt/drained plain non-fat yogurt
- 1/4 cup sugar/Stevia or honeyDIRECTIONS: Whisk the sugar or honey into the yogurt. Freeze according to the directions of your ice cream maker. NUTRITION: 1/2 cup or 4 oz = 1 serving Sweetened with sugar: 78 calories, 15 g carbohydrates, 0 g fat, 5 g protein Sweetened with honey: 85 calories, 18 g carbohydrates, 0 g fat, 5 g protein Or try this Ice Cream variation from Weelicious:
Yogurt, Honey & Cinnamon Ice Cream (Makes 4-6 Servings)
- 16oz Greek Yogurt
- 1/4 Cup Honey
- 1/2 Tsp Cinnamon1. Place all the ingredients in a bowl and whisk to combine. 2. Pour the yogurt mixture into an ice cream maker and chill according to manufacturers directions. (If you don’t own an ice cream maker, no worries, this mixture can be poured into popsicle molds and frozen for 6 hours or longer) 3. Place the mixture in the freezer to firm up, about 1-2 hours. 4. Serve. I CANNOT wait to try these recipes!!!! Let me know if you end up making them before I do. And share the pics and results with me on facebook. So who else out there is a gelato junkie!!??
Cassey, you are the reason I am alive today. It’s dramatic, but it’s a fact. I’m a 10000 miles away in Jo’burg South Africa and 9 months ago, I tried to commit suicide. I wasn’t even overweight, eating disorders destroy people. I stumble on your videos…because I was looking for more ways to emaciate, thin out myself. What I found instead was hope, strength, someone who cared about me but had never met me. I live on Blogilates. You taught me to love myself, slowly, bit by bit. I created a different journal, one where I taught myself to eat again, I used all you health tips, I saved all your videos where you talk to us and tell about recipes and food – and your recent trips to Sydney and China pushed me to follow my own dreams. What I’m saying is that, in that moment this manager attacked you, he unwittingly attacked thousands of us – we are I don’t know, like extensions or something. I cried reading this post but you are strong, I know you’re strong and you will pull through – because you dragged me out of hell and brought me back…and you’ve never even met me. That speaks to a powerhouse soul that can’t be beaten down by a manager on a power trip. Be strong, you have reservoirs of strength that you send to all of us everyday – it’s time we return the favor. *positive energy coming your way* woooshOMG, I had no idea. These stories need to be shared and you guys need to be heard! This is truly inspirational! It definitely pulled on my heart strings. Amy, thank you so much for being strong. Love you. A bunch of you must be wondering what happened next, huh? Well, after much ranting, raving, and texting between friends and reading your advice of course, the biggest tip I got was to hold my head up high, walk in to class the next day with confidence, and do my thang. And you know what guys? I did. And we had a fabulous Pilates Sculpt session! And I have YOU to thank for reassuring me everything would be okay :) So little update on life... I'll be in LA this coming week filming some special YouTube videos with a big/new fitness channel on YouTube, so I am really excited to be part of my first "real production" with producers and directors and stuff! I wonder if they will also do my hair and makeup!? OMG. I'll def me taking behind the scenes pics for y'all! I am lugging nearly ALL of my fitness clothes with me to LA to make sure I have everything I need, but I have a good feeling a good chunk of it will be booty shorts, Body Language, and Lorna Jane. I just got this pair this week from Body Language and am in love. Well, I love all their scrunchy pant styles. They need to make a booty short version and I am in heaven. Do you hear me Matt and Erica!!?? So I've been dieting and working out EXTRA hard for this shoot and it has definitely paid off. Trust me you guys, cleaning up your diet and putting your time in for some serious cardio will do the trick to melt off fat. I also did tons of weight lifting, plyometrics, and a bit of my fave app, Nike Training Club. I have 3 more days til showtime, and I have to be super good every day until then, but was invited to go to a baby shower and a family gathering...in the same day. Oh no. To make matters worse, it was a Filipino baby shower so a ton of foods that make me go crazy craving nuts were there...like... LUMPIA and... ENSAYMADA...think warm sweet bun filled with sweet cream cheese and topped with more cheese and sprinkled with sugar. My food soul NEARLY DIED. If I were not on this strict clean diet, and if I didn't have an event coming up, I'd be all over it! But I had to control myself. I ate before I came and ended up just tasting a few of the "healthier" options like the stir-fried veggies and the lean parts of the roasted pork. It was not easy. AT ALL. I really think having food porn in such close vicinity and not being able to have it is a form of torture and ULTIMATE self-discipline. Lucky me because I had to do it again in the same day for party #2. A family gathering. It was Vietnamese cuisine which is a little bit cleaner, but still, some stuff I could not have. So I ate the chicken, took off the skin, and paired with cucumbers and lettuce. I really wanted to have these shrimp rice cakes (banh beo)... but instead I let them sit there all pretty and delish-looking. I'm happy to say I was able to survive 2 food gatherings but I really wish the timing was different! I just want you to know that you need not avoid the above foods like the devil every time you see them. Life is about fulfilling yourself and being happy, ultimately, and EATING is a big part of it. Although the above foods are not what I would consider clean, it is ok to have them once in a while. Or say if you are good all week, sure, indulge in moderation on the weekend. I'm coming from the stance that I have a very important event coming up so I need to keep things tight and my diet focused for certain results. Hope you had an awesome St. Patrick's Day! What did you do? Did you wear green and did you drink a bunch?! (OMG, just realized I didn't wear green at all...oops) <3 Cassey
Kombucha tea is made by fermenting sweetened green or black tea with a culture of yeasts and bacteria called the "Kombucha mushroom," according to Cancer.org. It is not actually a mushroom; rather, it is called that because of the shape and color of the sac that forms at the top of the tea after fermenting. [IBtimes][source] So that's the "mushroom" that isn't really a mushroom. After you ferment the sweetened tea with the bacteria, you get a liquid containing vinegar (which explains the sour taste) plus B vitamins and other chemical compounds. You know what's funny? I think I got a little tipsy off of kombucha. I kid you not. It IS fermented after all...My head started getting really hot, my face was super warm and red, and my heart beat was a getting a little bit quicker. This is what happens when I drink. But I actually don't drink at all if any of you are wondering because I am HIGHLY allergic to alcohol, beyond the normal Asian who can't break down alcohol because of a missing a enzyme. (Pay attention to your Asian friends the next time you go to a bar, they turn BRIGHT RED.) My case is little more serious. One time I had a drink that was probably 7/8 Pepsi and 1/8 rum and I went blind. Yes, blind. I could not see anything but blackness with my eyes WIDE OPEN. I could hear, smell, taste, feel, but the sight was gone. It took about 10-15 min to recover but it was one of the scariest moments of my life. I lost my vision completely. Anyway back to kombucha...here are the supposed benefits according to IBtimes:
INGREDIENTS: - 1 tbs psyllium husk - 1 scoop vanilla protein powder (met rx is the best!) - 1 whole egg - 1/4-1/3 cup water (or almond, soy, or regular milk - I used water)DIRECTIONS: 1. Mix all in a bowl 2. Spray pan lightly with PAM. Make sure it's on medium heat. 3. Flip when no longer runny (wait about 30-40 sec) That's it! Full of protein, fiber, and overall deliciousness. So far it's my best version the original Tone it Up protein pancake. Way less carbs! NUTRITION INFO: 195 calories, 6g fat, 8g carbs, 29g protein
Ohhhh lovely little red bits.
I got a new pan or griddle type thingy that can now accomodate more pancakes at a time. Efficiency in the kitchen. OHHHH yeah.
Look how fluffy they are! I think they turn out so well because of the protein powder I am using. Met RX is the brand and you can get the vanilla or chocolate flavor at Trader Joe's for about $23.99.I gotta find a way to make health freak syrup. That would definitely complete this picture. Here are the ingredients for 1 serving. And yesssss these ARE the calories for 1 serving or the whole batter! Yes IT IS that amazing and NOT too good to be true!!!!
- 1 scoop vanilla whey protein powder (I used Met RX)
- 1 TBS psyllium husk
- 1 whole egg
- 3 strawberries chopped
- About 1/2 cup of water (or soy/almond milk if you like it creamy)
222 calories, 6g fat, 14g carbs, 30g proteinEnjoy POPsters!!! I cannot wait for your butt to literally DIEEEEEEE in my next video which is uploading RIGHT NOW onto BlogilatesTV. Are you subscribed yet? You better be! For you new ones, I have 2 channels. My old channel Blogilates is where I first started and still upload workouts with Top 40 pop music there. I had to start a clean 2nd channel that didn't have pop music because I kinda got in trouble for copyright stuff with the music. That's what BlogilatesTV is! If I were you, I'd sub both because I still upload to both! Thew new video is like over 20 min long. It's really good and I talk all about the ins and outs of the bikini comp throughout the whole video. I didn't mean to make it so long but I guss I just had A LOT to discuss with you :) Oh and one more thing before I go!!! I am doing my first ever live twitter chat today at 10am PST/1PM EST about how to lose weight! Everyday Health is hosting it. Sarah Dussault from Diet.com and Sarahfit.com will be my co-expert!!! I'd love for you to come and ask questions! Should be fun. Here are the directions:
Join us this Thursday, May 10 for Everyday Health’s weekly #WeightChat on Twitter from 1 p.m. to 2 p.m. This week we will be joined by fitness experts Sarah Dussault (@dietsarah) and Cassey Ho (@blogilates) to discuss all things exercise. Here is how you can join the conversation: 1. Follow the moderators, @everydayhealth and @weightloss on Twitter. 2. Follow the live stream of the chat here http://tweetchat.com/room/weightchat (this will automatically tag each post with the #weightchat, so you don’t have to worry about typing it manually). 3. Please use this event wall to let us know any questions you have for our experts, if there are things you’d like to discuss, or anything you’d like learn more about to better your work outs.Okie dokie. Time to sleep. Love you a lot! <3 Cassey
Ingredients - mixed together with a spoon (you don't want to blend it because you want to keep the cake as textured as possible!) and baked for about 40 minutes at 160 C (320 F):
- 1/4 cup of rolled oats - 1/4 cup of coconut milk (from the carton, you can sub this with almond or hazelnut milk too!) - 1 tbsp of chia seeds - 1/4 cup of perfect fit vanilla protein powder - 1 tbsp of coconut flour - 1 medium ripe banana - 1 medium grated carrot - 1/4 cup of applesauce - 1 tsp of vanilla essence - 1 tsp of cinnamon - 1 tsp of allspice - 2 tsp of orange rindDirections: First, mix your oats, coconut milk (from the carton, not the can!), and chia seeds in a big bowl. Let the mix sit for half an hour so it gets nice and thick - this will be your egg substitute ;-) Next, add the rest of the ingredients to the bowl and mix it up with a spoon or fork. Then, just bake it! I baked it in a mini bread loaf mold so that, when it was ready, I could cut it horizontally and get two normal sized carrot cake slices. You can always bake it in muffin cases though or double the recipe and make a bigger cake. It's up to you :-) If you want to make the cake crunchier too, add some walnuts to the batter or chopped pecans! (I was going to do this but then, after I opened my cupboard to get the nuts out, I found out I was out, booo). Anyways, yeah! That's it! Super easy and 100% carrot cakey, grain free, vegan, and yum yum! Macros per one slice (out of the two you get from the above): 215KCALS, 14G PROTEIN, 29G CARBS (12G SUGARS), 4.6G FAT (1.8G SAT) AND A SUPER 8.2G FIBER! Thank you Anna!!!! I don't know how you come up with these recipes. I am soooo not a baker, so you just blow my mind. I can't wait to try this. Everyone, if you wanna follow Anna, you can find her here: BLOG: http://www.proteinpow.com/ FACEBOOK: https://www.facebook.com/HighProteinFoods TWITTER: https://twitter.com/#!/proteinpowdr YOUTUBE: http://www.youtube.com/user/proteinpow
Green Monster Overnight Oats Recipe (from Oh She Glows)
- 1 large handful fresh spinach
- 1 large ripe banana
- 1.5 tbsp chia seeds (necessary for thickening)
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1/3 cup regular, rolled oats1. Blend up the spinach, banana, chia seeds, and almond milk until smooth. 2. In a bowl, mix up the smoothie plus the oats. 3. Place in fridge overnight and enjoy in the morning! I topped with strawberries! How easy is that!? I just had it this morning (even though it is Saturday's bfast on the Meal Plan) and it was so good, it was UNBELIEVABLE!!! You must try! Even if you are not on the Vegan Challenge, it doesn't matter. I command you. YOU HAVE TO TRY THIS. It is one of life's hidden food gems :) MMMMMMM... [the below has been edited @9:3-pm 5/30/12, due to privacy/confidentiality reasons...you'll find out more later!] Also, some exciting news! So you know how much I love Miracle Noodles (zero calorie shirataki noodles) for Asian cooking right? Well, the stars seemed to align or something because...well...Jonathan asked if I wanted to possibly show people how to cook with them on ___. AHHH!!! I still remember reaching out to Miracle Noodle back when I was in Boston and was so thrilled and surprised when Miracle Noodle agreed to send me a few packs for a review. It was such a big deal to me. And now, one year later, exactly, I'm going to be helping them sell their product on air. So cool! I can't wait to tell you how to dress rehearsal goes! What should I wear? How should I do my hair? What are your fave recipes for noodles that you'd like to see me demonstrate? I'm headed to to Philly next week. Too bad I am on the Vegan Challenge or else I'd TOTES eat a Philly Cheesesteak. Oh well, next time. When I come back to tape the real thing I will for sure! I'll have to let you know when it is so you can call in and ask questions or do a testimonial. I'd love to hear your voice. How fun would that be!!?? OK back to editing! I hope Final Cut comes back from the dead soon...it is def in zombie mode. Much love! Cassey
I always travel with my Nikes and my oGorgeous pink bowtie gym bag. This bag will be back towards the end of the summer btw!
Grilled chicken salad with cherries, beets, pistachios, and heirloom tomatoes from Brick & Mortar in Santa Monica. So good!!!
Short ribs salad on set. I forgot where they ordered this. Was a little too salty for my taste - I think I should stick with chicken, fish, or tofu.
Seared tuna salad when I was in Chicago! This was AMAZING. I need to learn how to make this.
Sashimi salad. You can get this at almost any Japanese sushi restaurant. I always put dressing on the side.
Grilled artichoke from Cheesecake Factory. At Happy Hour, they are only $5! At I had them for the first time when I was at Vidcon last week. Not a big fan...
This picture is definitely upside down. But I don't have time to turn it right side up. Sorry. Actually, I probs could have done it in the time it took to write the preceding sentences. Darn. Corn Cakes from Cheesecake Factory. THESE ARE ONE OF MY ABSOLUTE FAVORITE FOODS. Not healthy. The best I could do was ask them to omit the sour cream. Gotta feed your soul sometimes, you know!?? I enjoyed every bite.
Mini sweet peppers! Y'all know these are my babies. They make me so happy. I can eat em plain or with hummus. Super delish either way!!!
Tofu and shiitake mushroom lettuce cups from True Food Kitchen in Santa Monica. Had these last night. SOOOOO GOOOD. Also, thank you POPsters for suggesting this restaurant to me a while ago.
As you can see a good majority of the food I eat is lean protein and veggies based. AKA - I eat a lot of salad. It is safe for me and I love it. I don't feel heavy afterwards and I love trying the new combos everywhere I go. I don't eat very much grain just because it bloats me, but not gonna lie, when on vacay I am a little more lenient on myself and I get dessert!
Tonight after our last shoot, I am DYING to have this carrot cake cheesecake from The Cheesecake Factory. I don't care if it is a bajillion calories. I want to devour it ALLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
No worries POPsters, I haven't been depriving myself nutritionally at all. Just depriving my obnoxious sweet tooth.
I wish I could meet up with some of you so we could have girl talk over cheesecake. MMMM how fun would that be. That would be fab. Maybe I should vlog as I eat the cake. Then we could pretend? Hahaha.
Anyway, gotta go get my outfits ready. What do you like to eat when you travel? And what is your dessert weakness? Let me know so I can drool over your comments!
- 1/2 banana mashed
- 2 TBS coconut flour
- 1/4 cup nondairy milk (you can add more if yours is a bit dry) - I used Almond Breeze Unsweetened Vanilla
- 2 tsp Stevia - I use Stevia in the raw (extract)
- 1/8 tsp baking powderDIRECTIONS: Mix together and place in oven at 350F for 15-20 min! VERDICT: Almost tastes like a macaroon! Very good. I made 8 mini cookies. They were not chewy though and just a tad dry. I find that cooking with coconut does this - things taste drier than they normally do, not sure why. Next time, I'd probably add more of the banana...or nondairy milk...or maybe some yogurt...or maybe some egg whites? Not sure. I can't really complain though - they were very very wonderful! NUTRITION INFO: (per cookie, makes 8 mini cookies. I ate the whole thing) Loved it! The whole recipe is only 124.3 calories! Crazy! Tweet me pics @Blogilates if you try this. Let me know what you did to make them more moist. Have a fab Sunday! <3 Cassey
This is what the final product turned out like! What do you think?! Do you like this one or the Sailor Moon outfit better?
By the way...I am dying to wear those boots more. It is still hot in CA! And nearly November! I'm not complaining though... :)
So anyway, here's what my healthy Sriracha popcorn looked like:It was so tangy and hot and good! Here's the recipe:
Just some brussel sprouts action!Wow, so the DVD cover contest is over! Side Plank by Diandra won the popular votes contest (thanks to everyone who voted) but now, I must consult with the friends, other fitness professionals, and my family to see what they think and tally it all up. It's 50% your votes and 50% judges' scores. Once we make that decision (soon) I will let you know who the winner is and who gets a new graphic design gig, new oGorgeous gym bag, and the chance to have their work published on the first ever POP Pilates DVD to be distributed world wide! Oh man. Fun times ahead! Also...was wondering if we have some entrepreneurs out there making cool things that are also POPsters? If you have a store (or maybe your friend or sister) link to your/their online shop place it in the comments below and tell me what it is you make. I'll tell you more later if this vision comes to fruition ;) Okay time to sleep! Talk to you more when I post the new Livestrongwoman Pilates Bootcamp video! <3 Cassey Oh! BTW - what else should I buy for my next food haul? Anything weird or crazy?
Eating, in a discrete period of time (e.g., within any 2-hour period), an amount of food that is definitely larger than most people would eat in a similar period of time under similar circumstances.Here are some things a person with BED may do or how they may feel:
In an experiment, people who saw a picture of a big bowl of soup before eating lunch were less hungry a few hours later than those who saw a smaller bowl, regardless of how much they ate at the meal.What!? The researchers who did the experiment said that the mind just REMEMBERS what you had last. So if you are distracted while eating, like you are watching TV or checking your phone while eating, your mind is less likely to register how much you ate...making you think you didn't really eat that much. Therefore, making your more hungry later on. This is interesting because I've always heard the whole pay attention to your food/chew slowly/concentrate while you eat thing so that you will not overeat in one sitting. But this study takes it to another level - how you think you ate at one meal will affect how you eat at the next. But if you're snacking mindlessly all day long on dried nuts and fruit or M&Ms, you don't think you had anything even though the calories are high. Your meal doesn't seem significant enough in your head to register as "I have been fed." That's why it is so important to not only fill your stomach up with good nutritious foods (fill it up mostly with veggies because they are high in fiber, vitamins and minerals AND they take up a lot of space for the least calories) but to let you mind know that you have eaten. I know it sounds weird...like you're thinking...my stomach will tell me when it's full and when it's hungry! Yeahhhhh...but remember what else? Your mind controls your body. Your muscles. Your organs. Your whole being - mentally, physically, spiritually - it's all connected! So the main message here is: BE CONSCIOUS. BE PRESENT. If you are eating, savor the flavors in your mouth! Remember those sweet cranberries squishing around your mouth along with the crunchy walnuts and fresh goat cheese salad...take your time to chew and eat in the moment! If you are working out, concentrate on the muscle you wanna work! Even if you're running and you want nice abs, suck your stomach in and tighten them as you speed ahead! You'll be surprised at how sore your abs may be the next day! Mind to the muscle! If you are hanging out with a friend, HANG OUT WITH THEM! Put your phone down and how about you actually talk to each other and share stories without being interrupted by a text from someone who isn't even present with you? Everything you do, do it with a purpose and do it with passion. Same with the food. Eat to fuel - do not eat mindlessly. Also! What do y'all think of the new YouTube layout? Do you like it? One of my channels actually got to see it a couple months ago. I'm sad that they took away my cute subscribe button, but oh well whatevs! I know YouTube makes changes for the better! And since we are on the topic! Are you subbed to both of my channels? The only reason I am asking is because I see some people downloading the #DashingDecember calendar then asking where my videos are or what videos I am talking about. I suppose this is a problem if you find the blog before you find the channel! So here's where you need to subscribe...by subscribing it helps me continue to make videos, and better, longer videos too...so it really really helps our Community! +1 gold star when u sub my MAIN WORKOUT CHANNEL: youtube.com/Blogilates + 1 gold star when u sub my HEALTHY FOOD RECIPES & VLOG CHANNEL: youtube.com/BlogilatesTV +1 sparkly pink iridescent star when u sub both channels! #DashingDecember! Power on! <3 Cassey Reference: Hours After A Meal, It's The Memory That Matters, NPR.org
Banana pancakes took home the crown! Only 2 eggs and 1 banana, this is honestly the healthiest easiest pancake recipe ever! Try it now! Recipe here.
This was not rigged. I promise. Check out this Sriracha Popcorn recipe!
Chicken breasts took home the crown for Popular Protein of the year! I basically lived off of them when I did the bikini comp.
Oatmeal! So cheap and yummy and the ultimate breakfast food! Even though my easiest cookie in the world recipe was a runner up in the recipe of the year comp, I still want you to try it! It's just 1 cup of oats and 1 banana! Oats are so versatile! See the recipe for the easy cookie here.
Bananas!!!! This was also a clear winner! I love how you can eat em raw, bake with em, cook with em, and omg you can do anything with bananas! Try this 1 ingredient banana ice cream recipe.
This was such a close match between sweet potato and spinach but at the end of the day y'all were pulling for this sweetie pie! You must try sweet potato fries (baked fries that is) - here's the recipe! I wanted brussels or seaweed to win, but I guess I gotta blog more about em to get you excited for em!
Thanks so much for your votes! It was awesome to see how excited you are about food. You're crazy just like me! Hahahaha.
K back to editing!
CHICKEN LETTUCE WRAPS!
Chicken breasts ($1.99/lb), 2 lbs = $3.98
Iceberg lettuce ($1 each), 1 head = $1.00
Onion ($0.99/lb), 9 oz - $0.56
Celery ($1.50/bunch), 1 bunch = $1.50
TOTAL COST (4 servings): $7.04
COST PER SERVING: $1.76
Wanted to share with you a super yummy recipe I made the other day that was uber clean and ultra delish!!! I made chicken lettuce wraps and ended up using not so much chicken because I volumized the "stuffing" with onions and celery! Was so good! Give it a shot! Here's my recipe:
1. Bake or boil your chicken breasts then chop them into itty bitty pieces.
2. Then put some virgin coconut oil in a big wok or pan, get it super hot, and throw in your chopped onion (mmmm will smell so good) and chopped celery!
3. Next place the chopped chicken in. Season with some fish sauce, stevia, and black pepper to taste. If you don't like these ingredients, no worries, you can season however you desire.
4. Then wash your iceberg lettuce, chop in half. Make sure to chop the correct way...you will want to slice that nubbin on the bottom of the head in half. If you don't chop thru that, you're lettuce cups won't be the right kind of cup.
5. Serve by putting the "stuffing" inside a leaf, wrap it up, and eat!!!! You don't even need sauce.Enjoy! Tweet or instagram me pics if you do this! <3 Cassey
Have a fabulous day guys!!! <3 Cassey
Peanuts, waiting to be crushed.
Got out my magic bullet (you can use a blender) and filled it with the lil guys.
Are you ready?
ZZZZZZZzzzZZzZZZZzZZzZz!!!!!! (I wish someone could invent silent blenders.)
Oh my goodness. It worked.
And now I shall eat you.
So yup that's it! Just keep grinding and grinding until it becomes smooth and creamy! Now my head is buzzing with all sorts of peanut butter combos you can try:
- Peanut butter with dried cranberries
- Raisin Cinnamon Peanut Butter
- Peanut Butter with Granola Chunks
- Peanut Butter Banana Swirls
- Peanut Butter with Coconut Crisps
- Chocolate Chip Peanut Butter
Oh and why stop with the peanuts!!!
- Almond Butter
- Sunflower seed Butter
- Cashew Butter
- Pistachio Butter
- Walnut Butter
- Macadamia Butter
OMG! So many possibilities. What if you mixed the nuts and got a crazy nut butter bonanza!!??
Oh man guys. Go ahead and try this at home and start saving $ on yummy, deliciously healthy, peanut butter! I saw some websites that suggested you add peanut oil etc. to make it more smooth. I opted out on this because I actually like mine thick and chunky. Feel free to throw in whatever you like and be creative! This was so much fun!
I don't look forward to washing the bullet though...
Please leave a comment and tell me what your wildest nut butter combo would be!! Should I try to make Spicy Peanut Butter and add Sriracha?
Friends taking pictures of friends taking pictures of food.
What? I have to instagram ok!???
Brussel sprouts with candied walnuts and forbidden (black) rice over portabella mushroom! From Real Food Daily in Santa Monica, CA. DELISH.
As you know, I am a big vegan food enthusiast! So whenever I go out with friends, I usually suggest a cool vegan spot. It allows me to indulge in how creatively tasty plant based foods can be! However, I want to warn people who are trying vegan foods for the first time. If you are drastically changing your diet to all plant based, you may get a ton of bloating! In fact, it wasn't til recently that I noticed a correlation between my stomach hurting and vegan dinners.
The high fiber content in the vegan meal feeds the bacteria in your intestines and they produce gas as they digest the plant material. Therefore, an intolerance to the new heavily plant-based foods creates a situation where gasses build up - causing your belly to inflate and get uncomfortable! And yes, I know you're thinking. Yes, this causes flatulence. Majorly.
This bloating thing surprises me though because I actually eat a lot of veggies daily, so I am unsure as to why this is still happening. I do know my stomach is quite sensitive so I suppose I will need to diagnose myself more closely the next time I go out. See what foods I'm specifically pairing.
Don't let bloating scare you from eating veggies or trying a vegan diet though! Usually it's temporary during the adjustment period and you can always take something like Beano, eat yogurt with active live cultures, or take a probiotic to help with the gas.Afterwards we decided to have a random photo sesh! (Cuz that's what you do on a Friday night, right?) Busted out our best model poses but nothing could beat the Pilates poses I pulled outta my back pocket. Here's Cobra on a Dolphin. Wait a minute...this actually looks like that scene from...
Hahaha. Oh random me.
And you know what else is happiness? When you get things on sale :)
From today until Valentine's Day Feb 14th, I want you to use the coupon code "FEELFAB10" to get 10% off all of your purchases in ShopBlogilates.com!
Alrighty!!! That's all. Hope you like the new video! Let me know if the workout killed you or if you killed the workout!!!
- 1 cup almond flour (I used trader joes brand)
- 2 ripe bananas
- 1/2 cup egg whites
- 1 Tablespoon almond butter (I didn't have any so I used unsalted natural peanut butter which btw is not paleo)
- 1 Tablespoon Pumpkin Spice (you could also uses cinnamon)
- 1 pinch sea salt
Love my heart tin! Ready to mash it up! I kept the bananas a lil chunky on purpose.
At this point, I had no idea what these would taste like and was just hoping I didn't waste a bunch of ingredients!!! Make sure to spray your tin with some oil so that the lil guys don't stick after you take em out from the oven. I decided to make 2 Blueberry Bliss Muffins, 2 Almond Crunch Muffins, and 2 Cranberry Craze Muffins!
After about 10-15 min at 350F in the oven...this is how they look!
I let them cool for 10 min and then used a spatula to scoop my babies out! Which do you wanna bite right now?
Imagine those juicy berries bursting in your mouth alongside the warmth of the almond bread!
A look inside. Chock-full of goodness!
I had left over batter so I also made pancakes! Didn't alter the recipe at all! And they were yums!
Hope you guys get a chance to make these! I absolutely loved them and I would love to see your almond muffins too! So tag #blogilates on instagram or tweet/facebook me so I can see!
Also! For those of you celebrating Lunar New Year...
CHUC MUNG NAM MOI! (Vietnamese) GUNG HAY FAT CHOY! (Chinese)
image, courtesy of free people blog
It is 2013, the year of the snake! Do you know what your Chinese zodiac sign is? Who's celebrating?
Happy Lunar new year!
Get a bunch of fresh, washed baby spinach!
Then top it off with some dried cranberries! I got orange infused ones just for kicks.
You can really add any nut but I love raw almonds. People usually use toasted pecans or candied walnuts.
I had to go to a pronunciation website to figure out how to say "Chevre". Basically you just wanna crumble it on!
Then drizzle on the raspberry vinaigrette! I got this from Smart & Final. I am sure you can find versions of it at your local grocery store. Trader Joes actually has a very nice one too!
TADA! The final result!!! So so good!!!
Please give it a try! It could even be the appetizer you make for your honey this Valentine's day! By the way...what V-day recipes do you wanna see on FOOD Bites? Tell me in the comments! I'll be filming this week.
NATURAL Red Velvet Cupcakes ‘n Pancakes with Healthy Cream Cheese Frosting!
INGREDIENTS (6 cupcakes and 10 mini pancakes) - 1 cup oats - 1 ripe banana - 1 cup almond milk - 1 steamed beet - 1 TBSP pure vanilla extract - 1 TBSP ground flax seed - 2 TBSP baking powder - pinch of salt - a squeeze of lemon
Look how radiant that red is! Amazing. ALL NATURAL.
CREAM CHEESE FROSTING (for cupcakes)
- 4 oz of 1/3 less fat Cream Cheese - 1 TBSP of nonfat plain greek yogurt - 1 tsp of honey - drops of natural beet juice to desired color of pink - dash of psyllium husk to thicken (optional)
- 1 banana
- 1 TBS of peanut butter (optional)
Like my matching banana necklace?
Dicing my bananas into coins!
Mix that all natural unsalted peanut butter in there and blend it up!
This is what it looks like! SO GOOD!!!!In the video, I coined the bananas first, froze it, then blended it. This made it hard to blend so I had to add almond milk to make it stir. I later got a comment that made me go "AHHH well isn't that a good idea!!!" I suggest trying this: Blend a ripe banana with peanut butter. THEN FREEZE!! After a few hours, scoop it out into a bowl. I am going to try this tonight and let you know how it turns out. Should be much thicker!!! What video should I do next? What recipe do you wanna see healthified!? Happy Valentine's day! <3 Cassey
First, blend up all of your ingredients! Then mix them in with the kale in a large bowl. Make sure every leaf is covered with love!
If you have a dehydrator (I have the Nesco 700 watt), place the leaves on the trays and make sure they are not touching each other. If you only have an oven, then lay the leaves on a baking sheet on a pan.
Set the dehydrator to about 135-145F for a 2-3 hours or until crunchy and not wilty. For oven people, turn up to heat to 350F and bake for 5 min. Then toss and bake for another 5. You need to be careful! These can burn very very easily.
Then after all of that work...this amazingness comes out!!!!!
The flavor was OUT OF THIS WORLD!!!! It really tasted like Doritos and Jackelyn and I gobbled it up like monsters after our workout. I let her take the rest of the batch home on the plane but no worries...headed to Trader Joes immediately and got more kale :)
Give it a try guys! I know you will really love it. Next time I wanna try honey mustard flavor...oh and how about Hot Cheetos or Sriracha flavored kale chips!!??? That would be ridiculous. Okay, I am on it. It's my next mission.
What flavor do you think would be adventurous to try? Let me know in the comments! I'll pick one of yours to experiment with!
Tomorrow (Sunday) I am headed to a raw vegan cooking workshop all day! I am super duper excited to learn all about how creative you can get with vegetables! And what effect non-heated, live foods have on your body. Will share what I learn Monday!
Love you! Have a fabulous day and see you soon! Hope everyone did the 100 Burpee Burnout by now. If you didn't - you better get on it. I am watching you.
Collard Green Wraps!
These were soooo delicious! Zucchini, carrots, onions, and mushrooms wrapped inside a huge leaf!
I've never made fresh homemade marinara before and this below my mind. RIDIC. Will have to share this recipe later.
Mini portabella mushrooms filled with guac and micro greens over Bragg's Liquid Aminos (soy sauce).
This was so sweet! I ended up drinking a quart of water after my first bite. HAHAHA. That's raisins and walnuts mashed up as the base. Frosting is just dates and lemon juice. CRAZY!!
This class was very special because the instructor didn't make anyone feel like they had sinned if they ate meat or anything cooked. What's even more special though is that she told us...it's probably not the healthiest to be 100% raw vegan.
After years of being raw, she developed cancer and is currently undergoing chemotherapy. Now she has to eat a lot of meat proteins. She said that had she had known, perhaps 20% cooked and 80% raw may have been the best diet for her.
Going raw doesn't make you get cancer, don't jump to conclusions...but if you're thinking that there is one perfect diet that will help cleanse you and make you lose weight...there isn't! Every one is so different. We all react differently to what we ingest. And it all depends what our goals are. If you want to be a body builder or fitness model, you're gonna need more protein than a normal person trying to be healthy. There have been very successful vegan or even raw vegan competitors. We need to learn how to sculpt our diets towards our lifestyles. Don't go too extreme that your body becomes deficient in something that it cannot defend itself or function properly anymore. And you've got to be careful...because you may not feel it now but 20 years down the road...every bit builds up and boom - something could happen.
Look - remember what I said? Food is your medicine and medicine is your food. You need to be careful of what you put into your body and here's the key thing - PAY ATTENTION to what it does to you and how you feel. You are your best doctor, but you have to be conscious. If it works, eat more of it. It it makes your stomach turn and you go to bed crying, stop eating it, even if it tastes good.
For me...things that make me feel sick from what I can tell so far are milk and wheat gluten (sad because I love it in Chinese dishes).
What things make your stomach turn? Or do you have a mighty digestive system that can take down anything!!???
After much conversation and reading, what I can conclude is that what is healthiest for our bodies are:
- fresh fruits and veggies (organic if you can, but best is garden grown at home)
Everything else seems like people can say one thing good and then you'll find books and articles saying it'll kill you. Ha. Did you know you could overdose on superfoods? Like overmedicate yourself on certain veggies etc? It's nuts but it's true. There is no perfect diet or perfect food that will work miracles for everyone...you need to educate yourself on nutrition and use your body to test what works and what doesn't.
So far, eating clean seems to be a very good diet but beyond just losing weight and giving yourself nutrients...you need to pay attention to your digestive health as well. If you take stuff in and you can't excrete the toxins daily, there is a problem. Western medicine tells you that if you can go once every 3 days it's normal but ummm...who wants to hold in waste for that long? The toxins could potentially enter back into your bloodstream making you feel sick and sluggish. You've got to keep it moving inside and outside. Stagnation is bad in any sense of the word.
Keep exercising, drinkin, water, and eating tons of fresh produce. In what ratios, I cannot tell you. You need to take the knowledge and the tools and apply them yourself!
Hey guys! There is an amazing new recipe I need you to try! For once, get this.....There are NO bananas!!!! *applause* Here’s the healthy recipe for 12 servings! You need to try! They are so creamy from the avocado and the crunch of the pistachio just finishes the flavor like nothing I've ever had. Instragam me pics when you're done! #blogilates
- 2 cups oat flour (you can put oats in a blender and make yourself)
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 tsp pumpkin spice
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 orange (peeled)
- 1/4 cup stevia
- 2 large egg whites (or 1 egg)
- 1 avocado (mashed)
- 1/2 cup nonfat Greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- 2 cups grated carrots
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup shelled and chopped pistachiosDIRECTIONS: Mix everything together except for the pistachios. Top them last. Then set oven to 375F for 15 min and bake. Omg so good like you wouldn’t believe!
- 1 banana
- 1 cup oat flour (take dry oats and blend them up until they become flour)
- 1 egg
- 1 TSP nonfat plain greek yogurt
- 1 Cup spinach
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/8 to 1/4 cup Stevia
- 1 TSP of crushed Pistachios
Mix it all up in a food processor or blender (except for the pistachios), then pour into a muffin tin sprayed lightly with oil. You may add fruit chunks if you'd like. I added whole blueberries. Then top with the nuts. Bake for 10-15 min at 350F. Easy!
Go food processor go!
Right before going into the oven!
While I was waiting for the muffins to bake, I poured the same batter onto my dear waffle maker and this gorgeous beauty came out. It was DELISH!!!
I was soooo excited for the muffins to finish...and when I heard the ding, I couldn't have asked for more! My heart shaped muffin tin made them so cute :)Finally after instagramming...tweeting...and facebooking...I was like OMG please let me eat this. It was so worth the wait. For those of you worried about the spinach, no worries, you can't even taste it. All it does is give you that gorgeous green color and a ton of nutrients (it's an excellent source of vitamin K, vitamin A, magnesium, folate, manganese, iron, calcium, vitamin C, vitamin B2, potassium, and vitamin B6). So...eat up! These muffins are great as a breakfast treat or an hour before working out. Will give you lots of good carb energy to go hard. I hope you give this recipe a try. I'd love to see pics and what other green concoctions you come up with! Please share with me on Instagram #blogilates! Okie dokie. OHH!!!!! I forgot to tell you! Today (Sunday) I am getting my hair did! I am so excited. I am going to go for the whole ombre look as you can see here on Mila Kunis! I will try to keep as much of my length as possible, but I have major split ends so I think at least 2 inches will be chopped off. I was fortunate to read up on some very positive Yelp reviews on hair artist Guy Tang and got in touch with him immediately! We're gonna do a lil makeover video so you can see the transformation. I'm super excited! So watch out for that!! Will be instagramming the 6 hour process. Yes. 6 HOURS!!!! Guy and I will be BFF after this hair appointment I am sure :)
Alrighty guys! Happy St. Paddy's Day! Be safe and eat green!
So last night I was at Trader Joe's looking through the supplement section and I thought...hmmm...I should just buy a buffet of bars to try out! Cuz...I can!?
I actually wanted to do a head to head nutrition bar battle against some of the most popular brands out there. I steered away from the traditional "protein bars" because I honestly think they taste too dry. And...I am on a mission to find the perfect pre-workout and post-workout snack when on-the-run. You should eat whole, real food when you can. But let's be realistic. When you can't, you have to have backups! Let's see the competitors!
|ThinkThin Crunch Orig. Mixed Nuts||190||13g||15g||8g||4g||The best of them all! It wasn't too sweet. I liked that I could see all of the nuts I was eating and the slight glaze was a fine touch. Although I enjoyed the soy crisps (made it taste like a rice krispy) I normally woudn't eat that. I appreciate the low sugar and the least amt of carbs in this bar.|
|ThinkThin Creamy Peanut Butter||240||9g||22g||20g||0g (11g alcohol sugar)||Oops! Had no idea this one had chocolate in it so I couldn't test it until my friend came over. He said it was dry and very "protein-y".|
|Luna Peanut Butter Cookie||180||6g||26g||9g||11g||Very good tasting. This one tasted like a rice krispy treat and had a peanut butter cream base underneath the soy crisps and oats. Too carby for me.|
|Larabar Cashew Cookie||230||13g||23g||6g||18g||TOO SWEET! You could make this yourself with crushed cashews and mushed dates.|
|Larabar Peanut Butter Cookie||220||12g||23g||7g||18g||TOO SWEET even with no added sugar! Checked the label and it's just peanuts, dates, and salt. I would recommend just making this yourself.|
|Kind Bar Almond & Coconut||190||12g||21g||3g||12g||A very talked about brand! I didn't particularly enjoy the coconuts but overall, it reminded me of the ThinkThin Crunch. I personally thought it was a little too sweet, but appreciated that I could see all of the ingredients whole.|
Macaroons are made of egg white, sugar, and shredded coconut.
So today, I am going to show you a recipe for a confused macaroon. He is somewhere between both, but unlike the ones you see above, he doesn't have any added sugar and is a much healthier option. Ready for the Blogilates macaroon recipe? Here it is!
- 1 cup almond meal (you can get this at any healthy food store or you can take almonds and blend them until fine)
- 1 cup + 1/4 cup shredded coconut
- 4-5 TBS of organic honey
- 1 TBS of non dairy milk
- dash of salt
Mix all of the ingredients above together in a bowl with your hands. Except for the 1/4 cup of shredded coconut.
Look at dat honey!
Carefully sculpt them into little balls and roll around in the other 1/4 cup of shredded coconut. Then chill in the fridge for 10-15 min.
BAM! That's it! You're done. These were so delish and super sweet. 1 ball with a nice cup of tea is a perfect dessert! Now, I am not saying that these are so healthy that you can eat all of them because it does have a high natural sugar and natural fat content. It's just a better option than the traditional macaroons/macarons you see at the dessert shop. But seriously, so easy to make and you don't even have to bake them! I hope you enjoy this recipe and will make them for your friends! Takes about 15 min to make!
Next, I will try to see if it is possible to make the pretty macarons healthy style ones...I am already thinking...beets to make them pink...I like that they are made of almond flour and egg whites. Sugar can be subbed with Stevia. This might be possible...so I will letcha know when I can figure that one out!!
Oh my goodness an army of sushi soldiers!!!!!From front to back I ordered: The Haricut (2), Crunch n Munch (3), Sweet Tree (4), and Mighty Mushroom (1). The numbers indicate the ranking I gave the roll. 1 means best. They were all super tasty however. Each one had a very distinct personality!
For dessert, I had the Black Sesame Avocado Coconut Cookie. Oh man. This was ridic. I must find the recipe.As you can see, the prices are very very fair! I want to come here again and again and again! If you ever visit NYC, put this place at the top of your list. I am sooooooo not being paid or anything to say this, but I have never had a dinner this good ever. I'm so serious. Oh and to top it off! I met 2 of our POPsters there! See you girls on Sunday :)
Tiny place. BIG FLAVOR.
Union Square: 229 E. 14th Street (Between 2nd & 3rd Ave.) NY, NY 10003Afterwards, I walked back to my place and passed by 1st Ave and 1st St - you know, only the Nexus of the Universe.
Regarding the Sunday Meet Up! I am currently planning the logistics for the event and BOYYYYYYY this stuff takes some serious skill! All I can say is that great things are accomplished by more than one person -it takes teams, teams of good people with a common vision and a genuine desire to succeed. I am grateful to everyone who is helping me put on this event last minute. I hope it all runs smoothly. I've never had a meetup this large before (they get bigger and bigger every time) so the challenges are evolving every time! All I can say, is let's just see what happens! I'm sure the East Coast POPsters will enjoy it either way. Main point is to have fun, make friends, and have an amazing workout!
Details for the meetup here: bit.ly/blogilatesNYC
K that's all! Sleepy time now. I will see you soon!!!!!
<3 from the East Coast!
Hope you had a beautiful weekend. New vlog on how I schedule my YOLO meal every week! Please watch above.
I think it is very important to indulge once in a while, because you only live once right? I like to eat clean 6 days out of the week and go crazy on one YOLO meal on Friday or Saturday. I usually do my bulk of groceries of Sunday and refresh for the rest of the week.
Notice that I said "I like." :) As you know, I've been kinda bad the past couple months with the traveling so I was a little more indulgent than usual, but it's ok! It was a conscious decision and it makes me feel good. Food is more than just calories, it's a cultural experience. Taste is a magnificent sense to have and I like to use it!
Being healthy is more than just looking fit and eating clean...it's also about having a healthy relationship with food! Please don't feel guilty about eating! You need to look at food differently. It is not the enemy. Not only does it nourish your body, but it also nourishes your soul! In addition, you need to eat YOLO style once in a while to keep your metabolism guessing. If you go too long eating the same thing over and over again, your body will not know how to react when it gets something different. In fact, I have personal experience with this. After the bikini comp, and after eating spotlessly for nearly 8 weeks, I had a huge burger with a slice of cheesecake as my celebratory meal. After dinner, my stomach hurt so bad and I immediately bloated up and went into a food coma. It was not fun.
So...eat a variety of food and stay as seasonal as possible! This will naturally save you $ (seasonal fruits and veggies are always on sale) and the foods will be fresher too because they won't be imported from afar.
Now onto other news...
My butt hurts soooooooooo much. I mean soooooooo much from filming The Great Gatsby workout all day yesterday. I seriously charlestoned all over Los Angeles County. I did the routine a bajillion times. I am so excited for the movie to come out...have you watched the trailer yet? No!? Here, watch it:
Here are some behind the scenes shots:
Taking a moment to pose at the Mulholland Fountain.
Later that day, I was alerted by my friend Ana Caban to go to Cicada in downtown. It's a 20's nightclub where everyone dresses up. EVEN THE MEN.
I was excited to amortize my costume!Ana told me about this place as she was interviewing me on her radio show "The Shift with Ana and Skip" when she found out that I was at the Griffith Observatory in a flapper dress on a cell phone. LOL. You can listen to the radio interview below! Their show is all about transforming yourself and my topic was about blogging:
RECIPE for 1 medium pizza (8 slices):
- 1 cup of shredded cauliflower or 1/3 of a head of cauliflower...60 cents
- 1/2-3/4 cup of shredded mozzarella cheese...$1.30
- 1 egg...15 cents
- 1 tsp dried oregano...1 cent
- 1/2 tsp crushed garlic...10 cents
Toppings (up to you but I did a veggie medley):
- 1/2 cup pizza sauce...60 cents
- 1/2 cup mushrooms...60 cents
- 1/2 green bell pepper...35 cents
- 1/2 red onion...55 centsWHOLE PIZZA = $4.26 1 SLICE = 53 cents DIRECTIONS:
1. Shred cauliflower in a food processor
2. Microwave in a bowl for 8 min
3. Mix in about 1/2 cup of cheese, save rest for topping
4. Crack the egg and mix all ingredients together
5. Spray pan with PAM and make a nice base of cauli-cheese crust
6. Bake in oven for 10-15 min at 350F
7. Then take out crust, top with sauce and toppings
8. Place back in oven for another 10-15 minWhoa! Crazy amazing right? I know, I know. I couldn't believe it when I first made this either. The crust actually sticks and it gets crunchy if you put it long enough! Have fun with this one. I hope you like the recipe. Don't shake your head at me and say "It won't taste the same!" TRY IT. You will be surprised. Cheap Clean Eats will debut every Thursday on my main channel YouTube.com/Blogilates and the workouts will go live every Monday! Please subscribe to my channel to stay on track and support me - I would really love that!
If any of you have ideas for the next Cheap Clean Eats episode, please comment and tell me! Demand what I should healthify next!
<3 you so much!
- 2 ripe bananas
- 1 cup of rolled oats (dry)DIRECTIONS: 1. Dice banana into coins and freeze for a few hours or overnight 2. Place dried oats into a food processor and grind into oat flour 3. Pour oat flour into a bowl and mash with other banana with hands until a dough forms 4. Make 4 cookies and place in oven for 15 min at 350F 5. Cool cookies 6. Take frozen banana coins and put them into the food processor and blend for 1-2 min until it forms a cream! (It's like magic!) 7. Scoop ice cream onto cookie, sandwich it... 8. AND EAT!!!!! OMG!!! A regular Diddy Riese oatmeal cookie is 195 cals each. A whole sandwich with vanilla ice cream is 560 cals. Our Blogilates Ice Cream Sandwich is only 260 cals! That's like half!! Now let's talk about price. I bought my sandwich for $1.75 which is still a great price. But this baby is a winner on the Cheap Clean Eats list...look: Bananas: 2 at 19 cents each = 38 cents 1 cup dried oats = 60 cents TOTAL: 98 cents for 2 ice cream cookie sandwiches! That's 49 cents each!! CRAZY!!! Now go make this cookie and tag it #CheapCleanEats on Instagram so I can find it! Good luck and eat well :) <3 Cassey
Isn't that fab!? Omg. Each one is about 128 calories and is super filling compared to a regular donut. It's all healthy fats you're getting with no added sugar. Amazing. These tasted so good that when I was done, my friends and I wolfed it down in 2 seconds.
I ended up topping them with a banana almond milk glaze and dipped that in shredded coconut and walnuts. HEAVEN!!! Look at these babies!
If you have a Babycakes donut maker like I do, it will take about 5 min to cook! But you can also get a donut pan at Target and cook it at 350F for about 10 min and I am sure they will come out the same! For those of you with nut allergies, I did not try this with oat flour but I suspect that it would turn out very similar.
Have a wonderful day...and for those of you working hard on the BlogilatesBet, I'm so proud of your progress so far! As a team we're down nearly 7,500 lbs! I myself have lost 1.4 lbs this week , I feel energetic and strong...so I am on track to meeting my goal. I saw some comments with POPsters being disappointed about slow progress, but please do not worry. There are a few things you can do to remedy this:
1. Take a second look at your diet. Snacking can be the culprit. If you snack, snack on fruits and veggies. Banana pancakes are cool too.
2. Increase your intake of veggies. This is a nutritious and low calorie way of filling your stomach up volume wise so that you won't FEEL HUNGRY all the time. Thus...less snacking.
3. Drink more water! This is imperative. It flushes you out, makes your hair and skin look great, and will again, fill you up! If you're bored with water, then make your own version of HINT water by mixing 1/4 cup of juice with water. Tastes the same 'cept you don't have to pay a bunch for basically...watered down juice! Or cut up a few slices of fruit and put it in your water. Also gives the same "hint".
4. Your workouts need to make you sweat. You need to work hard. No going around this. If you're "working out" then checking your phone, then doing some earthquakes then going to check facebook...ummm no. I want you to commit your 45 min to 1 hr a day SOLID. GO BEAST. I'm serious. Commit, then play. I want sweat dripping into your eyeballs and down your collar bones! If you don't feel challenged, your body and your strength will not change.
Those are my tips of the day! Hope that helps. As always...tweet me questions @Blogilates if you need more advice! I'm always by my phone.
OH! And one more thing!
I just released some cool new tops in ShopBlogilates.com! I'm all about backless right now. You can actually wear a strapless bra with the Oh So Low top, and for the Open Your Heart Crop Top, I suggest a cool sports bra with a fun back.
And many of you do not know, but it was one of my childhood dreams to be a hand model. I always believed in my feminine fingers and nimble knuckles. Today I am happy to tell you that finally made it, guys. I finally made it.
LOL. It looks like an ad for manicures at one of those nail salons at the mini mall down the street.
1. Mix your dry ingredients together (oats, cinnamon) and blend into a fine powder in a Magic Bullet or regular blender.
2. Then add half a ripe banana, an egg (or 2 egg whites), and almond milk. Blend!
3. Take your batter and pour into a pan on low-medium heat. Just a thin layer!
4. After you see mini bubbles form on top, flip it! If you can flip it in the air - DO IT!!!! It's exhilarating. This batter will make about 3 crepes about 8"-9" in diameter!
5. Now fill up your crepe with fresh fruits! I used 4 strawberries and the other half of the banana! Roll it up. You'll get 3 sleeping puppies that you can pet :)
6. Optional - to top, you can add nonfat Greek Yogurt and a honey drizzle!
The whole recipe without the honey and yogurt is only 250 cals with no added sugar, and using all natural ingredients! Nothing crazy here.
I hope you give this recipe a shot and wow your family with it. They won't even know it's good for them! Seriously!! If anyone makes this please use the hashtag #cheapcleaneats on Instagram, Twitter, and now...even Facebook! Did you see this?
I had no clue that you can hashtag on basically all social media networks now! Great!! This will make it so easy to find your food and comment on it. And of course for all y'all to find each other too when you're hashtagging similar topics!
Look at that. It's beautiful and so so good for you! MMMMM! I'm hungry. Want this now.
Ok go cook, eat well, and enjoy your day! We have a lovely weekend ahead of us. I love seeing your hard work from the #JuneOnFire Calendar - you guys are KILLING it and I am so proud of you! In the comments, will you let me know what I should healthify next?
Thank you and love you!
Ps...Been trying to make healthy bubble milk tea. It's really hard to sub those tapioca pearls...they have a distinct chew when you bite into them. Trying all sorts of crazy things. Will let you know if I figure anything out!!!
And here's another from POPster @peanutbutterdancer - look at the professionalism! Nom nom nom!!If you wanna see your food featured, just use the hashtag #cheapcleaneats and #blogilates and I will find you! Next week, we are making some savory items. I posted this on Instagram last week as I was experimenting and looks like y'all really wanna know how I made a healthy quesadilla dontcha?
It's flourless and nope, there are no bananas and oats in this one. Guess you'll just have to wait til Thursday to find out!
NOWWWWWWW. Listen up. Look at this pic. LOOK AT THIS PIC!It's Jillian Michaels! OMG. This happened. This just happened. I was at a SHAPE Magazine event that I bought tix to a while back. It was only $5 to take Jillian's class live, so clearly I gobbled that up! It was located at Hermosa Beach and the weather was perfect! She commanded us through her Hard Body workout and I liked it very much. It was a HIIT routine much like my POP HIITs. We did burpees, elbow pushups, knee crazies, and all sorts of side planks. It was kinda hard to see with everyone in front of me - but that didn't matter! I obviously worked out hard and had a lot of fun. I actually met some POPsters at the event which made the whole experience even sweeter. At the end, I was fortunate enough to meet Jillian for a brief moment. She's very nice and I really liked her energy. Though small in stature, she has big influence. I first learned of Jillian when I was in college. She was on Biggest Loser being all crazy - yelling at contestants - but what she brought to the fitness industry was some new flavor. She caught people's attention, she scared them, and they listened. Though my style and hers are completely different (I talk about my nails and what I ate for breakfast while I kill you), we both know what it takes to make you work and to take control of your own life. So happy to have met her...I hope to see Jillian again! Finally, for all the Daddios out there.... Here's a silly pic me and the parentals took after the UCLA meet up a few months ago! I just wanted to say this about my dad. We went through some hard times and had major disagreements about my career path and my passions. His wishes and mine were completely different and as a 20 year old, it was really hard to deal with. I cried a lot in college (LIKE A LOT) not knowing how to please my heart and my parents'. Though I studied Biology and respected the subject, it was not in my blood to become a medical doctor. Some of you may be thinking, big deal just follow your heart! But in the stereotypical Asian culture, "if you're not a doctor or a lawyer, then it doesn't matter." So after college, I moved far far away to the East Coast to leave things behind and let my more creative side flourish. Lots happened out there in Boston...my first job was def not my dream job, in fact I got the worst review of my life from my boss! It was humiliating...but life is so funny...because at the same time, one of my oGorgeous yoga bags (I started a yoga bag company in college when I started teaching) somehow creeped it's way into SHAPE Magazine and I was like WHAT. I remember crying on the floor of TARGET when I opened the magazine and saw my bag. This was my sign. My sign to get out. Follow my heart. I dedicated the next several unemployed months (my parents didn't even know) to designing and development. Meanwhile to entertain myself (had so much more free time), I started blogging and YouTubing more. And to pay rent, I started teaching Pilates up to 12 times a week. It was really exhausting. But I also credit this time period to making me a better instructor. Meanwhile...my parents tried to get me to go to grad school or get some job in the medical field! My dad was like any type of doctor please? Optometrist, Pharmacist, or Naturopath!? I didn't like taking calls from my dad because it always made me sad that he didn't believe in me. So we didn't talk that much. It was a time period of open-mindedness on both sides that helped us regain our relationship again. I never wanted to disappoint my parents. I always wanted to make them proud. So when I couldn't fulfill their wishes when I was in college, I had no choice but to believe in myself and just go. I'm happy to say that today...Blogilates has brought us together again. Today both my mom and dad are big supporters of Blogilates and they love you guys. They read all of your comments and they call me daily to tell me about new ideas they have for y'all :) So today, I wanna give a shout out to my dad for his open-mindedness and his unconditional love for me and our family. We've been through rough times but all that matters is that today we are happy. Thank you for being a cool dad and wearing a neon green headband ;) Happy Father's Day! Go tell your dad you love him! <3 Cassey
RAW MARINARA SAUCE RECIPE:
- 3 roma tomatoes
- 12 pcs of sun dried tomatoes
- 1 clove of garlic
- fresh basil leaves (I used 5)
- 1/2 TBS of oregano
- 1 - 2 dates depending on sweet you like it!
Blend it up and bam, you have sauce!!6. Take the ravioli out of the oven, place 2 on a plate, then top with your homemade marinara! That's it. Enjoy :) Hope you decide to make this recipe this weekend! If you do, be sure to use the hashtag #cheapcleaneats so I can like and comment on your pics! Ya'll are amazing chefs I must say from what I've seen so far!!! Eat well and work hard! <3 you, Cassey
So last week, I experimented with ways to make Mac n Cheese healthier. It was hard because it was either use cauliflower as the noodles or make it using whole wheat pasta elbows. I wanted something a little more creative...a little more out there. This is when I thought of my dear zero calorie shirataki noodles that I used to make pho with! I realized that they also made ziti noodles in the shape of baby hollow logs! It was perf.
Miracle Noodles are made of 97% water and 3% fiber and are made from the root of the konnyaku plant. This type of noodle has been eaten by the Japanese for 1000s of years so it isn't really anything new, just new to us! This bag of ziti noodles was only 5 calories and soaks up the flavor of the sauce that you put it in. If you've never eaten shirataki noodles before, they come in a baggy precooked and in a sea salty liquid. You need to rinse the noodles of the aroma, thoroughly pat them dry using paper towels. Since they are cooked, you can either eat them cold or put em on the pan or in the microwave to heat. I always like mine hot!
Here are the ingredients you will need:
If you want to make the mac n cheese EXTRA creamy, I recommend adding more cottage cheese! The cheddar is good for color, but the cottage is where it's at! Here's what my lovely dish ended up looking like after mixing up all of the ingredients and microwaving it!
Super easy! Hope you like! Also, if you use the code "Blogilates10" at checkout, you'll get 10% off your order! Yay! Love discounts. Click here to see the noodles.
Have a happy and safe Fourth of July and enjoy the day with your fam and friends. I am off to the beach to get some sun, wear my new bikini, and watch some parades and fireworks. There's also a muscle contest on the beach today so I may entertain myself and go watch that for bit! I guess you'll see what I am up to from my Instagram pics!
Have fun and love you so much!
Healthy Cheeseburger Ingredients (2 burgers):
- 4 oz lean beef
- 1/3 chopped red onion chopped
- 3 stalks celery chopped
- 4 portabella mushrooms
- 2 slices low fat cheese
- some lettuce
- some tomatoes
- may season with Mrs. DashDirections:
This is what you'll come out with! How AMAZING does that look? If you don't like mushrooms use lettuce leaves. Crispy iceberg works well!Hope you have a fabulous Friday! Try this recipe this weekend! I know your fam and friends will appreciate! <3 you so much, Cassey
Firm or extra firm tofu cut into rectangular "steaks"
- Alfalfa Sprouts
- Spring mix lettuce
- Rice paper
- Soy Sauce
- Sesame Soy Ginger VinaigretteI am not putting amounts by the ingredients only because you can really stuff it as much or as little as you want. I just like to leave the ingredients out, stuff and roll as I go until I am full! Directions for tofu:
So filling!! Looks light but I was done after 3 of these rolls! (The one above is 1 roll cut into 2).
Ahh! And the moment you've all been waiting for! The announcement of Nike Free Run winner #3! Who will it be? Last week's task was to retweet and y'all did a fab job! Drum roll pleaseee....
And this week's Nike Free's go to Amanda B on Twitter! Congrats girl! Please send an email to [email protected] to claim your prize! Thanks to WeightTraining.com for hosting this giveaway with me! Also, in case you didn't know, you can actually check how many cals these POP HIITs burn by entering you stats on their website! Check here.
Not Amanda? No worries. You've got 2 more chances to get these shoes. This coming week is all about TUMBLR!!! Your task will be to reblog the POP HIIT 7 and POP HIIT 8 printables I put up on tumblr on Tuesday and Thursday. If you don't have an account, you can make one! It's free! Be sure to follow Blogilates on Tumblr to see the printables.
Alrighty guys! That is all for now! Have a FABULOUS start to your week!
Oh question! What your fave summer recipe that keeps you cool, fresh, and feeling light?
Ingredients for cake: (1 serving)
- 1 egg
- 2 TBS banana mash
- 1 baby carrot
- 2 TBS almond flour
- 2/3 TBS stevia
- 1 TBS greek yogurt
- 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- little pinch of baking powder
Ingredients for cream cheese frosting: (more than 1 serving)
- 1/8 cup tofu
- 1/4 cup tofutti cream cheese
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp steviaDirections: Mix all cake ingredients in a mug! Microwave for 1-2 min depending on how hot your microwave gets. If you’re against microwaves you can also make this at 350F for 7-10 min. Just watch it in either case. Then take out and chill in freezer while you make the frosting. Blend all of the frosting ingredients together until smooth. Then slice cake in half, add frosting inside, on top, and add extra carrot shreds, walnuts, and cinnamon to garnish! Whole thing is 200 cals vs a “real" slice of carrot cake at 400 cals. Instagram when you make this so I can see! One of my fave things to do is obsessively check that hashtag on Insta and see how long it is before the first POPster uploads his or her pic on the food I made that week! Hahaha. I am so happy that you guys really like the Cheap Clean Eats series! These take soooo much more time to film and edit (and I'm not exactly the BEST in the kitch) but I seriously love making food and sharing the recipes with you! Have a fab Thursday! What do you think I should healthify next? <3 Cassey
Eat Clean Train Dirty Tee, $21, ShopBlogilates.com
All you have to do is go to my Peanut Butter Dorm Cookie video on YouTube, like the vid, and tell me in the comments if it is harder for you to eat clean or train dirty. You can enter as many times as you want and it's open to all POPsters, everywhere, any age! I will announce the winner on my blog next Thursday August 22, 2013. Anyway, here's your recipe!!
How to make a Peanut Butter Cookie in Microwave
- 1 TBS peanut butter (organic, no salt, no sugar)
- 1 TBS almond milk
- 1 tsp Stevia
- 1 TBS ground oats
- 1 egg whiteDirections - Mix together - Plop on a plate - Microwave for 45 sec to 1 min - Eat!! Makes 1 cookie for 136 cals, 8g of healthy fat, 7 g carbs, 9 g protein. Enjoy! <3 Cassey
For spring roll...(multiple servings)
- rice paper pack
- block of tofu (seasoned with soy sauce, Stevia, black pepper)
- lettuce or any type of spring mix
- medley of veggies (I used carrots and purple cabbage in this recipe)
169 calories for 2 rolls
For sauce...(2 servings)
- 4 TBS of Hoison sauce
- 1/2 lemon
- 1 tsp Sriracha
135 cals for 2 servings
1. Chop all your veggies
2. Slice your tofu block into "steak fry" size
3. Fill your tupperware with some soy sauce (1/4-1/3 cup), Stevia (2 tsp), and black pepper (couple pinches)
4. Put your tofu steaks in the pool of soy sauce. Marinate for a few minutes.
5. Light your stove to medium high. Oil lightly. Place tofu steaks on. Pour rest of soy sauce over it. Let sizzle. Flip ater 3-5 min.
6. Fill a shallow plate with water. Dip your rice paper in - make sure all sides are wet. Lay flat on another plate.
7. Fill with veggies and tofu steaks. Wrap up like a burrito!!
8. Dip in your sauce and eat. YUM!!!
A serving costs about $0.75 when at the store it's like $6.99! Big diff people. Big diff. Eat at home to know what's going into your food, into your mouth, and also...to save $$!Now for more fun stuff! It's giveaway time! If you're like me and LOOOOOOOVE taking pics of your food before you eat (it's like my way of blessing the meal) then you need to seriously protect your phone from the dangers of the dining table!!! I mean seriously...ice cream, soup, sizzling platters...it's a war zone for delicate technology! I was using the Lifeproof Fre case in this video and was sooooo scared to drop my phone and submerge it in water. K listen, true story: my screen was shattered for a couple months and I had just found some time to get it fixed like literally the day before I filmed this video. Costed me $120 just to change the glass so I really did not want to break it again. When we filmed, I actually dropped it in that water filled plate 5 different times, 5 different ways, from 5 different heights. Each time, my heart skipped a beat. But you know what? My phone was unharmed! Isn't it great when products actually do what they're supposed to do? So good. The Lifeproof Fre case is designed to withstand underwater submersion which I think is OUT OF THIS WORLD!! I must test this and try to film an "Aqualates" video or something...what do you think? Anyway...I want you to experience this awesomeness too so I paired up with Lifeproof and we are giving away 5 iPhone Fre cases ($79.99) to 5 lucky POPsters! Here's how to enter: 1. Take a pic of your fresh spring rolls 2. Upload it to Instagram and hashtag it #cheapcleaneats AND #lifeproof (you need to do both) You can enter as many times as you want! The contest is open to everyone, everywhere, any age! I will announce the winners right here on the blog next week on August 29, 2013! Good luck! And be sure to follow me on Instagram @Blogilates. Oh and nope I did not forget! The winner of last week's giveaway for the Eat Clean Train Dirty top is...
POPster Sharon Lea!
Sharon, please email me at [email protected] and I will send this shirt to you immediately! Good luck everyone!
Much love forever and ever,
1. Star of the Show
2. One thing to NEVER BUY
3. YOLO Food of the MonthWatch the vid to see my reactions to the goods! Here is everything I talk about: Ceramic Plates from Anthropologie The Girls Are Out Nail Polish by Essie Raspberries La Tortilla Factory Low Carb Tortilla Crunchy Cookie Butter at Trader Joes - YOLO TO TRY Quest Protein Bar, Strawberry Cheesecake Flavor Walden Farms Calorie Free Dressing - DO NOT BUY Breville Tea Maker Simple Truth deli meat Alfalfa Sprouts Swiss Diamond fry pan Asian Style Spicy Peanut Vinaigrette - STAR OF THE SHOW Dance All Night Dress from Livingroyal.com Jessica Simpson slippers Haha please let me know what you like, what you don't like (I hope Walden Farms doesn't kill me) and what you buy when you go shopping!!! Since this was my first faves video, just gonna letcha know going forward that I was not paid to say anything and that all opinions are my own. Hope you have a great workout on Day 5 of the #SWEATEMBER Calendar. Here is your routine: - Fat Burning Cardio Warmup - Tonefest Towel Workout - Official Prom Dress Workout - POP Pilates Total Body Sculpt (my first video ever!!) Click here for the entire playlist. Love you! Cassey
Oh heavens yes. It's the leaning tower of Banana Pancakes!!!
1 ripe banana + 2 eggs. Blend it smooth. Pour on the pan. Make sure it's low heat. Flip when bubbles form on top. Completely paleo friendly. Here's the recipe video.
And then this was made...
That is a no bake raw vegan cheesecake. Yup. You bet it is! I know some of you asked on Instagram for me to do a video, but I actually already did! This is a classic recipe from a year ago so you can find it on BlogilatesTV under "Food Bites". Or you can just click here to get the full recipe. Seriously tastes like the real thing but SOOOOOO much better for you. The "cheese" is made from cashew cream cheese that you make yourself. And that crust ain't no butter and graham cracker...it's just walnuts and dates.
I can't wait to share this project with you. It won't be done for a while though as I am also putting together some amazing fitness routines that will keep you fit and strong throughout the year. I'll also show you how to eat to your body's best potential each season. Working hard to impress you guys every day:)
Please let me know what recipe I should do for Thursday's Cheap Clean Eats! I had to take a little break because those videos are so detailed to film and edit. Was getting tired! The Favorites video was fun to do because I felt like I was just talking to my friends. I'm glad you enjoyed it. I am already thinking about what items I have to show you at the end of this month. There are some good ones already! No losers yet...
Love you forever and ever! Grab your dumbells (3-5 lbs) or waterbottles and start working! This routine is fun and sassy!
- 1 banana
- 1-1.5 cup kale
- 1/2 cup nonfat greek yogurt (vegans can sub tofu or soy yogurt)
- handful of ice
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- juice of 1 small lemon
- 1/4 tsp of cayenne pepper <—- yup there it is! (If it’s your first time having pepper in a drink, I’d start with a pinch and add more as you get more advanced)The spiciness in this drink from the pepper helps to raise your metabolism, and all the Vitamin C from the lemon and kale helps in the production of Carnitine which helps your body metabolize fat. Also, the banana provides a source of tryptophan which aids in relaxing your mind and lifting your mood. The protein in the yogurt keeps you full and ALSO, because your body takes 2x more energy to digest protein than carbs, eating more protein makes you burn more calories. This is great as a morning breakfast! Or whenever you need something to SUPERCHARGE YOU! Nutrition Facts: 232 cals and 16g of protein Share this and keep it close to you! This smoothie is seriously a miracle! ALSO!!!!
Yay!!! We have water bottles! It's so important to stay hydrated. A lot of us don't drink enough water, so now, you have no excuse. Drink to your heart's desire! Too cute not to right?
I was so excited that I stayed up late last night to do a lil photoshoot with these babies. I had so much fun naming their colors. Because each kinda looks like a translucent crystal, I named the colors of the bottles after gemstones. You can see all the colors here.These are actually blender bottles with little spiral balls to help you mix your protein powder smoothly. Aren't they darling? I felt like this lil guy needed his own portrait :) I want to thank you guys for always suggesting new product ideas. (I never thought I'd get into bottles!) It's not always the easiest trying to figure out how to design and manufacture new things. But it's not an impossible challenge. So again, thank you for your continuous flow of ideas! Anything else you want me to do for you, just let me know in the comments! Ready to design and tackle! Do you remember this Blogilates yoga mat that I handpainted before my first NYC meetup? Look at all your gorgeous signatures. You guys are amazing. After this, I got so many requests to actually make this mat for you guys...well you know Cassey. I take your comments very very seriously. So umm, after months and months or testing and development to make it as close as possible to the original, here it is guys!!! The Limited Edition Blogilates Yoga Mat.
Also, since so may of you have been doing POP Pilates or a while, I wanted to take your workout to the next level with a new toy. I use the Power Ring when I teach my classes and I've been wanting to show you guys my special routines for so long, but was afraid to because I know like 90% of you do not own a ring. So for the first time ever, I am releasing a piece of Pilates equipment to bring our workouts to the next level. This is super exciting because I'm ready to show you how you can tone your legs like CRAZY with this baby. Inner and outer thighs REALLY will get sore with the exercises I'm about to kill you with. Oh it's gonna be fun.
Also, the pads on the POP Pilates Power Ring say "TRAIN INSANE" on the inside! Oh and I'd like to make a comment about me on the box.
Umm, I'm on a box.Hahahahahahaha. I hope you enjoy :)
AH! I was just about to post when my friend Sarah from Sarahfit.com texted me this:
I have no idea why I am purple and why iJustine is blue but OMG cool!!!! Did anyone get this issue yet? I need to go pick it up. Thank you for growing Blogilates to what it is today. It's seriously all because of you. Also, I wanna thank Sarah for being an awesome friend over the past few years since I started posting videos on YouTube. She is an online fitness veteran and has really been genuine and trustworthy to me from the beginning! It's always nice to find truly good people in the field in which you work. I mean, the reason why I left my first corporate job was mostly because of how toxic the coworker relationships were. Life isn't about work or getting things done...it's about working together as humans.Love you guys! Please instagram your smoothie #cheapcleaneats after you make it so I can see! Yum yum! And lemme know which bottle and mat you like best. Your first Power Ring workout will be on YouTube next week! <3 Cassey
- 1 small head of cauliflower
- 1 and 1/4 cups of low fat mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 tsp dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp dried garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp dried basil
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 egg
- small handful of fresh basil leaves sliced thinlyDIRECTIONS: 1. Shred the cauliflower in your food processor until it looks like rice - I call this "ricing". 2. Place the rice in a bowl and microwave it for 5 minutes. 3. Squeeze all of the excess water out by placing the rice on a cheesecloth or thin piece of linen and pressing the liquid out. If you skip this, it's not the end of the world. 4. Then mix in your dried ingredients, egg, cheese, and basil leaves. Be careful! It's hot. Don't do what I did in my first Cheap Clean Eats video. You can watch that disaster here. (No, seriously, watch it!) 5. Form your "dough" into little nugget sized pieces on a tray that's been sprayed with EVOO, PAM, or coconut oil. 6. Bake at 425F for 15 min. (I actually left mine in a little longer to make sure they get a bit crunchy.) That's it! It makes a few dozen nuggets and tastes great served with a side of marinara! The fresh basil gives it such a fantastic Italian feel. The recipe makes 6 servings (6 nuggets = 1 serving) and each serving is under 100 cals with over 10g of protein. How awesome is that?
Enjoy your weekend guys and hashtag #cheapcleaneats if you make this recipe! And for everyone wondering what happened to Cheap Clean Eats on YouTube, I just needed some time to create some fool proof recipes for you. Like I said above...it's been a tough couple weeks in the kitch!!
- 1 banana
- 1/2 cup pumpkin
- 3/4 cup vanilla almond milk
- 3/4 tsp pumpkin pie spice (essential)
- 1 TBS vanilla protein powder*
- 1.5- 2 handfuls of iceThat's it! It came out so smooth, creamy, and heavenly. Tasted just like what pumpkin pie would taste like if it were smoothie-fied. When you make this, please #blogilates or #cheapcleaneats on instagram so I can see what you thought of it! Well! How do I say this...umm...I am working on creating a blend of delicious protein powder that's good for you and has the optimal ratios of protein, carbs, and fat for women. Of course, another one of my goals is to make this taste as delicious as possible too! I've had so many HORRENDOUS powders over the past few years that have tasted like chemical. Like metal. Like things that shouldn't even be allowed to be eaten. You know what I mean? So I've been working with special food chemists to come up with something that will satisfy me (and you) nutritionally and taste-wise. After reading all of your emails and messages regarding your concerns with protein powder, it seemed like there wasn't a protein powder out there that you really loved. It reminded me of the time back in college when I couldn't find a yoga bag I liked, so guess what I did? I made my own. And guess what we're gonna do now. We're gonna make our own!!! But this time. We're doing it together :) I've been in the lab developing tastes and textures alongside the chemists and it's surely been a new experience! But I want you to be there with me. If we're going to develop a great tasting blend with outstanding nutritional content together, I need you to tell me what you want. Last year you helped me design the first ever POP Pilates DVD cover and this year I want you to be a part of the protein powder design. Your input matters to me, because this is for you! Please let me know in the comments below: 1. What flavor you'd like. 2. Do you have a protein preference? Whey, soy, brown rice, other? 3. What ingredients do you NOT want to see 4. What should it be called!!? Yay! I am so excited that we are taking on this journey together! How cool is it to have an idea and then make it happen? I think it's gonna be awesome working with you guys. Also! Reminder that the Boston Meetup is happening next weekend! Click here to register for a free ticket. And if you're going, please apply for the POPster Inspiration Award! Love you! <3 Cassey
INGREDIENTS (made about 13 large muffins at 50 cents each!):
2 egg whites
2 medium apple, peeled and well chopped
(Also Vitacost is running a good promo where you can get $10 off your first order of $30 or more. Click HERE to get the dealio.)DIRECTIONS: Bake at 350F for 20 min or until you do the toothpick test and it comes out smooth. For more detailed instructions, click here. NUTRITION INFO: 181 cals per large muffin, 5.1 g fat, 31.6g carbs, 3.7g fiber, 2.6g protein 11% daily value vitamin E 7% daily value iron THE VERDICT? Slightly sweet, chunky, and tastes like a "real" muffin! I think carb and bread lovers won't complain about how this tastes like a fake muffin cuz it aint! It is definitely nutritious, especially because we used whole wheat flour vs. white flour. Per 1/2 cup whole wheat flour has 6.4g of fiber vs the 1.3g in white enriched flour. This will keep you fuller longer. Note that eating whole wheat flour is similar to eating whole grains and beans so it aids digestion and helps to lower blood sugar. BUT! Be careful. Though this treat is made from better-for-you ingredients, if you're trying to lean out, eat it the morning or an hour before a workout so you can use up the energy as it is slightly high in carbs. Do not eat it at night!
- 1 small peach - diced
- 1 small apple - cored and sliced
- 1/2 cup dry rolled or quick oats
- 3/4 cup almond milk
- Some honey drizzle
- 1 TBS dried cranberries
- Dash or Cinnamon or Pumpkin Pie SpiceDIRECTIONS: 1. Dice your peach into small chunks and slice your apple. Then sautee them on medium-high heat (with some type of oil like coconut oil) for a few min until slightly golden. 2. Meanwhile heat your oats and almond milk in the microwave for 1-2 min depending on how intense your oven is. 3. Take the cooked oatmeal out, mix the diced peaches in. Then top with the apple slices. Dash with cinnamon or pumpkin pie spice and sprinkle with dried cranberries! Drizzle with honey for extra sweetness if desired. THE VERDICT? Yum yum yum in my tum. You will love this quick, easy, and tasty fall breakfast recipe. Sauteeing the fruits REALLY bring out their ultra sweet and succulent flavors. Remember, if you try this, please hashtag #cheapcleaneats so I can see your creations! What other oatmeal recipes are you making right now? Share with me too! Also, I am sorry about the new Monday video not loading on time. I was having MAJOR technical issues with the file and it is just uploading right now to Youtube and it's Tuesday already! Eek. Oh well, life happens I suppose. I hope everyone got my message to do the Train Like a Beast Look Like a Beauty workout as a substitute! Are you guys ready for #NOVEMBURN??? We're almost there. A couple more days plus Halloween and we're in month 11 of the year!!!! I cannot believe this. The holidays are coming up! Insanium I say. Insanium. I am not ready! <3 Cassey
FILLING INGREDIENTS (10 servings)
CRUST INGREDIENTSvitacost.com, click HERE to get $10 off your first order) DIRECTIONS 1. Mix all of the crust ingredients together. Make sure the coconut oil is melted before you add it in. 2. Spread and flatten it into a pie pan. 3. Mix all of the filling ingredients together. Make sure you melt the coconut oil first before you add it in as well. If it is chunky, you may want to try mixing it in a blender. 4. Bake at 350F for about 45 min until the top is a nice, rich, orange color! 5. Chill for at least 30 min to help the pie stiffen. 6. Cut and enjoy!! THE VERDICT I know in the video I said that this was possibly the first time on Cheap Clean Eats that one of the recipes has turned into a disaster, but actually....it was really really really good. I mean. It tasted legit. Like better than legit. I just didn't know that it should have been chilled before we cut it! Either way though, I kinda now am loving hot, pudding-like pumpkin pie :) The best part is the crust which tasted crumbly and a bit salty - it was perfection paired with the gooey sweetness of the pumpkin. Please make this recipe for your family this Thanksgiving! They won't even know the difference! The pie was lovely but you could probably sub that with Stevia and an overripe banana to really cut down the calories. If anyone tries this please let me know! If you make this recipe please hashtag #cheapcleaneats on Instagram so I can see your pie! IN OTHER NEWS... I want to start up #AskCassey again for a new series! Can you guys leave comments below on some of your BURNING questions? The juicier the better. If I pick you I will feature you and your comment...so try to leave your name and be sure to upload a profile pic! Love, Cassey
It's time to make some yummy food! As you know, I've been cooking up some fun high protein, high fiber, and low carb recipes with my Quest Bars and today is the official debut of our first episode in Season 2 of Cooking Clean with Quest! This honestly is one of my fave recipes and it's just too easy to make. Here's what you'll need:INGREDIENTS:
RECIPECookies: 1. Soften two Quest Protein bars (I used Peanut Butter Supreme, Taryn used Chocolate Peanut Butter) briefly by microwaving them, 15 seconds or less should do. 2. Roll the softened bars out into thin sheets. 3. Cut the sheets into your favorite cookie shape. 4. Bake at 350 degrees F for about 5 min or until crispy 5. Let the baked cookies cool.
Peanut Butter Filling:
- 2 tbsp peanut butter flavored protein powder
- 1 1/2 tsp to 2 tsp of Truvia or Xylosweet
- A pinch of salt
- 2 1/2 tsp non-fat plain Greek yogurt
- 1 tsp un-sweetened peanut butter
- 1/2 tsp waterSimply combine all of the filling ingredients and mix on high until uniform, 1-2 minutes should do. Cookie sandwich time! 1. Spread the filling onto one cookie 2. Take a second cookie and gently press them together to make a sandwich.
Chocolate Coating (optional):
- 1 1/2 ounces (1/4 to 1/2 of a bar) of unsweetened chocolate (baking chocolate)
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 1/2 tbsp of vanilla flavored protein powder
- 1 1/2 tbsp Truvia or Xylosweet1. Carefully and slowly melt the unsweetened chocolate. A double boiler at medium to low heat will work. You can also use a microwave at low level and in short time periods. 2. Warm up the heavy cream. It should be warm to the touch but not hot. 3. Mix the warm cream and melted chocolate together until uniform. 4. Add in the vanilla protein powder and Truvia and mix well. 5. Before it cools too much, drizzle or coat your sandwich cookies with the chocolate coating. Macros (makes three cookies): 150 calories. 15g protein. 5g fat. 3g active carbs.
See that prize pack above? You don't even have to think about what to buy because we will send it straight to your kitchen so you can make these cookie sandwiches with me! You'll get 2 boxes of Quest bars, a jar of all natural peanut butter, Stevia, Ghiradelli chocolate, a duffel bag, a $25 gift card to buy the perishable things at your local grocery store, and the best part...the custom made peanut-shaped cutters!!! (Yea seriously, I would just enter for the peanut-shaped cutters)
24 HR FLASH GIVEAWAY!!!!
I'm gonna pick 1 lucky POPster to win the Grand Prize Cooking Kit and 5 lucky POPsters to win a full box of Quest Bars! So here's how to enter:
1. Comment below and let me know what your fave YOLO food is.
The contest is open to everyone internationally and will end in at 11:59PM Thursday March13th. Comment as many times as you want to increase your chances! Once picked, we will send out your Quest bars immediately :)
Good luck and if you make this recipe, please show me!
Since I started Blogilates, I've always wanted to invent something that could help weight loss be easier for people. Well guys, I am SO PROUD to tell you that the patent I've been working on since I graduated with an Honors Degree in Biology from Whittier College has finally been approved by the US Patent Office!
I am crying tears now. Guys, this is a game changer. If you've always thought that the only way to lose weight was to eat clean and exercise, psh, well, I'm sorry I put you through all those "100 Burpee Burnouts" and "Bikini Blasters". It was just to buy me time until this patent got approved.
But now I can tell you the truth.
The truth is...I've been hiding something from you.
This whole time I've been instagramming pics of healthy lettuce wraps and vegan bowls when in truth, all I've been eating is fried ice cream, In N Out burgers, Chinese takeout, and whatever the heck I please with no regrets, no consequences, while exuding the epitome of health.
I know. This invention goes against everything I've ever preached. But that's because The Clean Sponge defies the laws of Physics, Biology, Chemistry and all the rules of the entire Universe and Galaxy.
Listen up guys. You can eat whatever you want, however much you want, regardless of how much fat, carbs, sugars or calories your food has and LOOK GREAT, FEEL GREAT, and perform at your optimal capacity.
So stop shopping at Whole Foods and protect your bank account! Just head to the local fast food chain, order up a combo and save yourself some time and money.
With my new invention, The Clean Sponge, you'll be able to keep eating, keep sitting, do nothing, and LOSE WEIGHT. It's perfect for beginner dieters all the way to advanced dieters!
Look at my friend Pierre's Transformation!!
With The Clean Sponge, he lost 318 lbs in just 10 days! It's incredible. He's practically glowing!
Because Pierre had such an incredible experience with The Clean Sponge, he's offered to take the first 1000 ladies (or gents) who buy the clean sponge on a date to your favorite fast food restaurant where he can personally show you how he uses his sponge. Act fast and get The Clean Sponge now. This offer won't last long.
How do you use The Clean Sponge? Easy. It takes just 3 wipes to get lean.
1 wipe takes away the fat
2 wipes takes away the carbs
3 wipes takes away the calories
It's too easy. You can adjust the sponge to how lean you want to get based on your goals. I sincerely apologize for not being able to share The Clean Sponge with you these past 4 years, but now it's out and I want you to try it!!
Call 1-865-551-WIPE now! Operators are standing by. If you experience a wait, do not worry. Keep holding! We will help you as soon as we can! We are simply helping other customers as the demand for The Clean Sponge is extreme. I promise that we will be with you shortly.
If you can't get a hold of us on the phone, then head over to www.TheCleanSponge.com to buy it now!! Remember, first 1000 customers get a date with Pierre, so don't hesitate. Just buy NOW! You won't regret it.
Because what's better than eating mountains of pizza, having a six pack, and lying on the couch all day??
So let's make your dreams come true. Every day can now be a YOLO Day.
Call 1-865-551-WIPE or visit www.TheCleanSponge.com
Here's the recipe for the Natural Belly Slimming Detox Water:
(for one 24 oz serving)
- 3-5 slices of fresh cucumber - 1/2 small lemon sliced - 1/4 of orange sliced - a few fresh mint leaves - 24 oz of ice cold waterWhy does this work? *Cucumbers prevent water retention and also have many anti-inflammatory properties. *Lemon provides the cleansing effect of citric acid to help clear out the digestive syste *Oranges contain flavonoids in the peel and juice that stimulate the immune system and protects against a fungi/pests while helping to reduce cholesterol levels *Mint helps the body digest more easily and it also soothes any stomach cramps you may have. Keep in mind that the more you refill your jug, glass or bottle with the same fruits, the more diluted and less nutrient-dense the fruit becomes. So I would recommend that after 2 or 3 refills, dump it and replace with fresh cuts to make sure you get all the vitamins and minerals you need. I also wouldn't leave the fruits in there for more than 24 hrs before changing it. Because I am sooooo into detox waters right now, I knew that I had to create a bottle that would help make it easier for you to keep hydrated throughout the day. So that's how the Detox Water Bottle came to be! Each bottle comes with a translucent matching lid and an infusion "fruit cage" where your fruits and veggies will stay. The star shaped filter will help keep the fruit in place and it'll make it way easier to drink. There's 2 more recipes I want to share with you since I'm so obsessed...check it out:
Detox Water for Craving Control and Beautiful Skin (click to see recipe)
Anti-Aging and Anti-Bloat Detox Water (click to see recipe)
I hope you found these recipes helpful! All the Detox Bottles are available on www.shopblogilates.com!
Remember...if your urine looks like lemonade, you are DEHYDRATED. If it looks like lime juice, you're in the clear and doing well. Drinking more water IN GENERAL is better for you and will help flush the nasties out of your body the more you drink. You'll also feel lighter and your body will be able to perform at it's best potential when it's well-fed and it's thirst is quenched.
Let me know what recipes you want to see next on Cheap Clean Eats!! Thank you for your enthusiasm for this show. I'm so happy you like it :)
CINNAMON ROLL PROTEIN PANCAKE
INGREDIENTS for 1 serving:
- 1 scoop protein powder (I like GNC Vanilla Whey Protein Powder)
- 1/4 cup oat flour
- 2 egg whites
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened vanilla almond milk (may need more depending on protein powder you use)
- 1 tablespoon non-fat Greek yogurt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon butter extract (optional...but it's butter flavor for 0 calories!)
- 1-2 packets of Stevia
For Cream Cheese frosting:
- 1-2 tablespoons of fat free cream cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 packet Stevia or other sweetener
40 g protein
52 g carbs
3.5 g fat
STRAWBERRY SHORTCAKE SHAKE
INGREDIENTS for 1 serving:
- 1 cup Greek yogurt
- 1 cup strawberries
- 2 cups of almond milk
- 1 scoop of protein powder (I like GNC Vanilla Whey Protein Powder)
27 g protein
28 g carbs
4.7 g fat
This is the legendary Monte Cristo Sandwich from Orleans Cafe. No, I wasn't the one who ordered it but you bet I demanded a bite! It is what it looks like guys. It's ham, swiss, and turkey dipped in a batter, and deep fried, then powdered with sugar, then smothered with a berry jam. It was soft, crunchy, sweet, salty, destructive, and beautiful all at once. If you ever go to Disneyland, get it so you can check it off your bucket list. Yes. Eating this should be on your bucket list :)We were all sooooo hot, sticky, and DISGUSTING after rides and lunch, so the obvious answer was to cool off with the famous Disneyland Dole Whip. I had read soooo many food blogs about this dessert and just wasn't sure what all the hype was about. When we got to the Tiki Room, there were 2 lines and they were a 20-30 min wait each. Umm. WHAT! I have never waited in line that long for dessert. But we waited, because, who knows when I'll be back! To the left you have the original Dole Whip. I'm pretty sure it's made of pineappes, sugar, and whipped cream of some sort in a soft serve style. To the right, you have the Dole Whip Float! Oh man. Basically fresh pineapple juice with Dole Whip on top. Guys, this was my YOLO on Saturday and it was worth EVERY BITE. Sweet, tangy, fluffy, cold and soft. I swear I will find the perfect recipe to make this Dole Whip healthy so that I can have it again! Watch out for a Cheap Clean Eats episode showing you how to make this... That day we walked over 26,000 steps which is over 10 miles! My legs are actually sore today. Do not underestimate the power of walking. Any other Disney fans out there? What's your fave Disney meal and fave Disney princess? Mine would have to be Pocahontas or Belle. ALRIGHTY! Now onto the Cheap Clean Eats episode of the week...
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon natural peanut butter
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened coconut milk
- Pinch cayenne
- 1 packet sugar substitute
- 1 tablespoon Greek yogurt
- 1⁄2 red apple, chopped
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 1⁄2 green onion, chopped
- 6 leaves iceberg lettuce
- 2 tablespoons peanuts, chopped
TOTAL PER SERVING: $2.30DIRECTIONS: 1. Heat the garlic in a skillet coated with cooking spray for 1 minute. 2. Add the chicken. Sautée the chicken for 2 minutes. 3. Add in the peanut butter, milk, cayenne and sugar substitute and cook until no longer pink. 4. Set aside to cool. Stir in the yogurt, apple, celery, and green onion. 5. Spoon into lettuce leaves. Sprinkle with chopped peanuts. CALORIES: 236 | Protein: 30 g | Net Carbs: 8 g | Fat: 9 g | Fiber: 3 g This was another variation I did the other day where I added baked Garbanzo beans on top! It was sooo super delish. I love Garbanzo's because they taste so nutty/meaty and yum! This recipe is great for school, work, dinner, lunch - honestly...anytime you want anything flavorful and fresh! Give it a try and show me your pics using #cheapcleaneats. Can't wait to see your creations! Oh by the way...I decided to try out SnapChat. Does anyone else have it? Cuz...I am MAJORLY confused!! I posted something today so can you go check if you can see it? Sorry I feel so technologically disabled right now. I am not sure if it is me or if it is SnapChat but if anyone can tell me how to use it, I'd be so thankful :) My username is Blogilates. Ok well have a FANTASTIC START to your week. Go check out your new Monday video, How to do a Headstand! <3 Cassey
RASPBERRY PROTEIN SOUFFLE
- 6 ounces fresh raspberries
- 1 scoop strawberry protein powder
- 1⁄4 cup plus 1 tablespoon sugar substitute
- 4 egg whites, room temperature
- OPTIONAL - chocolate chips
TOTAL PER SERVING: $1.35Directions: 1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Spray 6 ramekins with cooking spray and set aside. 2. Blend the raspberries (I used a Vitamix S30) and strain through a sieve to remove the seeds. 3. Stir in the protein powder and 1 tablespoon of sugar substitute. Set aside. 4. In a mixer, beat the egg whites until stiff peaks forms (about 5 minutes). Gradually add in the 1⁄4 cup sugar substitute. 5. With a rubber spatula, gently fold in the raspberry mixture. 6. Place into each ramekin and press down the tops. 7. Bake for 12 minutes on a low rack. These save well in fridge. Cover with foil and microwave for 25 seconds when ready to eat.
Protein: 11 g
Net Carbs: 2 g
Fat: 0 g
Fiber: 9.2 g
...now it's FLASH Giveaway Time!!!Because you guys showed so much excitement when Cheap Clean Eats came back, I wanted to surprise you with a Vitamix S30 giveaway!!! (Worth $409) It's basically my personal mini baby super blender and I love him so much! There's a 20 oz container and a 40 oz one too! My smoothies and soups are crazy smooooooth, light, and airy. It also breaks down ice and frozen things very quickly and nicely. I know you will love. Here's how to enter! Comment on this blog post and tell me what you would want to see me DO in a future Cheap Clean Eats video! (This is open to ANYTHING. Get creative.) Because this is a FLASH giveaway, you have exactly 24 hrs to comment as many times as you want with an answer to the question above. You can be from any country and of any age. The only other requirement is that you have to be a POPster :) Ends Friday September 26th at 2:00pm PST. I will personally email the winner of the Vitamix S30 and announce it through the next Blogilates newsletter and blog post. GOOD LUCK guys!!! <3 Cassey
HOMEMADE FRUIT LEATHERS
- 2 cups frozen cherries, thawed
- 1 pint strawberries, hulled and sliced
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons Truvia
- Parchment paperDIRECTIONS: 1. Preheat oven to 200 degrees. 2. Blend everything until smooth. 3. Pour onto a parchment lined jelly roll pan and spread out very thinly and evenly. Use two pans, if needed, to make extra. 4. Bake for 2 ½ - 3 hours or until completely cooked and no longer soft. 5. Remove to cool. Use scissors to cut long strips and roll, or use a pizza cutter and slice long strips and roll up. Based on 6 roll-ups MACROS per each: 44 cals | 1g protein | 8g net carbs | 0g fat | 2.6g fiber Ok guys. As a part of your training routine, I encourage you to make time for sleep just like how you make time for the gym! Are any of you experiencing the lack of sleep --> whole stress --> lower belly fat phenomenon? Love ya! Cassey
I also want to give a personal shoutout to my under 18 year olds. When I arrived at the SOHO 24 Hr gym, I saw a girl crying at the front of the gym and I asked her what was wrong. She said she couldn't go in because she didn't have a guardian. I was super confused and upset. Went upstairs, talked to some managers and found there somehow was a big miscommunication. I was super heartbroken. So girls...I am so sorry, I take full responsibility and I will make it up to you in 2015 when I come back for the Blogilates National Tour. Promise.The next day I had another meetup in Nanuet and then went on to train my new POP Pilates Instructors! This is a glimpse of the New York team in training! I seriously cannot wait for the classes to get started up in Jan 2015. Craziness! Let's talk about food. (How can you not when you're in NYC!?) The one thing that I could not wait to eat was my fave sushi in the world at Beyond Sushi. It's vegan sushi and it has the most amazing flavors ever!!! Your tastebuds will be sent to heaven! You just trust me on this one. That pic above was my ultimate YOLO in NYC. I found this place called Pizzarte near my hotel (chic sit-down restaurant) and OH MY GOODNESS the pizza was sooooo good! They have a whole gluten free menu if you're interested, but I went hard core for the ridic stuff :) I ordered the "Pizzarte" which was made with Burrata Cheese, Butternut Squash, Spicy Italian Sausage, and Thyme. I nearly died at the first bite. SO. GOOD. Alrighty, well that is all for now! I am home now and just about ready for bed. So have a fantastic start to your week 2 of the 8 Week Hot Body Challenge! And I'll see you soon! <3 Cassey
I also had a blast doing this.
That lipstick on that bread though ;PAnd for those interested in my dress, it's from Jovani. I love this dress so much!!! Happy Friday guys!
Thai Coconut Butternut Squash Soup!
1 butternut squash (skinned and chopped)
1/2 onion diced
1 garlic clove minced
1 can coconut milk
1 cup boiling water
1 sprig fresh rosemary
1/2 inch fresh ginger, peeled and grated
2 TBSP apple cider vinegar
Sea salt and black pepper to taste
1. Buy pre-chopped butternut squash if you can and bake in the oven for 25-40 min at 400F until soft. Use a little olive oil, salt, and pepper.
2. Put the squash along with other ingredients in blender then pour into a pot to heat on medium.
3. Season withdraw salt and pepper to taste!
4. Top with avocado, roasted corn, and cilantro for extra flavor. I also like squeezing lemon on top! It really finishes it well.
What does this look like to you?
Pulled “Pork” BBQ Sandwiches made with Jackfruit
Yup! That was unripened jackfruit that was made into fake "pulled pork"! It was INCREDIBLE! We even made our own BBQ sauce. I didn't truly realize exactly how much sugar was used in BBQ Sauce, but let's just say it's a lot! That's why when you're trying to eat clean, your biggest culprits could be in the dressings and the sauces.
Try to stick to things like Tabasco sauce, Tabanero, lemon, natural spices, Sriracha, mustard, a little soy sauce if you need it (careful though, lots of sodium), and greek yogurt as a sour cream/mayo alternative are all great condiments you should use! For dressings, I always read the label and make sure I know what's in it and that the first 3 ingredients are oil, water, and some kind of vinegar. Water and vinegar are calorie free and the oil adds in healthy fat that will also make your salad satiating. I try to go less than 0.5 g of saturated fat per serving. The rest of the ingredients should be herbs, spices, and seasonings that you're familiar with. You can also try making your own fresh dressings once in a while!Ah and I also want to show you a pic from last week!! I am filming something epic for you guys! You will probably find out in a couple months. I got to overlook the beautiful city of LA as I was shooting this. How gorgeous huh? Oh and I noticed that a lot of POPsters on Instagram were like whoa that's what it takes to film a video!? Haha, you should see some of the behind the scenes stuff on OTHER sets I am on that are not my own. This is a widdle baby compared to that :) But yes, there's a lot that goes into making a good workout video for you. Back in the day, I had my little handycam or laptop, I'd hit record myself, and then I'd basically not even edit it and put it up on YouTube! Throughout the years, I've picked up snippets of good tips on lighting, sound, hair and makeup etc. I've also met some tremendously awesome people that have helped me improve the quality of your videos. It's all about teamwork and bringing your passion to the table along with other people to accomplish a common vision. Ah and last thing! I wanna share with you my personal HIIT workout of the day after I taught POP Pilates this morning at Equinox. Here it is:
"Feelin' Good HIIT"
(45 sec on, 15 sec rest, 4x)
1. Shoulder presses with 15 lb dumbbells
2. Knee Highs (hand behind head)
3. Plie squats (holding 37.5lb dumbbell at chest)
4. Frogger jumps (wide squat, then touch hands to floor and pop up into a jack)
5. Overhead Triceps (used 22.5lb dumbbell)
6. Burpees (with pushup)
The workout is quick and it's effective. I'm now pairing HIITs with dance and POP Pilates. I really like doing a bit of everything because it keeps my body flexible, strong, and limber. Hope you have a fantastic start to your week!
- 2 low carb tortillas
- ½ cup Pepperjack cheese
- 3 tablespoons black beans, rinsed, drained and patted dry
- 3 tablespoons red bell peppers, chopped
- 1 green onion, chopped (optional)
- ½ avocado, sliced or mashed into guacamole (optional)Method:
Yields 2 (serving size: ½ quesadilla)
Net Carbs: 7g
HEALTHY WAFFLE COOKIES
- 1 small ripe banana
- 1 egg
- ¾-1 cup oats
- 2 packets stevia (optional)
- 2 tablespoons raisins or chocolate chips (optional)
- pinch cinnamon (optional)Method:
Nutrition Info Per Cookie:
Yields 6 cookies (serving size: 1 cookie)
Net Carbs: 9g
HEALTHY WAFFLE HASHBROWNS
- 1 parsnip
- 1 medium red potato, peeled
- 1 tablespoon Ghee, butter or coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon liquid egg white
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 1 large eggMethod:
Spray your pan, crack your eggs into it, put 1 ice cube inside then put a lid on top. The steam from the ice cooks the egg. No need to flip it over. No broken yolks.
Serving Size, yields 1
Net Carbs: 44g
- 2 eggs
- 6 tablespoons egg whites
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 slice turkey bacon
- salt & pepper to tasteMethod:
Net Carbs: 1g
CAPRESE WAFFLE PANINI
- 2 slices bread, gluten-free or low-carb, any kind
- 1½ ounces fresh mozzarella, sliced into two rounds
- 3 tablespoons sun dried tomatoes, drained
- 8 fresh basil leavesMethod:
Net Carbs: 33g
Fat: 18gAnd here's a FUN TIP! How to clean your waffle iron easily? Just wet 2 paper towels. Lay them inside an unplugged, still-warm waffle iron, and allow the steam to clean it for you. THAZZZZ IT!! If you make any of these recipes, please post a pic and hashtag it #cheapcleaneats! I know you're gonna have so much fun!
Ingredients for coconut paleo pancakes
(makes 36 mini baby 1.5" pancakes) 4 eggs 1 cup almond milk 1-2 TBSP vanilla extract 1 TBSP honey or agave nectar 1/2 cup coconut flour pinch of salt 1 tsp baking powderMethod: 1. Mix all ingredients to make pancake batter. 2. Put pan on medium low and spray it with coconut oil. 3. Pour batter to make mini baby pancakes. Let pancakes cook for about 30 seconds or until little bubbles start forming, then flip. Batter will make about 36 pancakes. 4. Slice banana into coins and spread almond butter on top of each slice. You can slice your strawberries too. 5. Put pancakes, strawberries, bananas, and blueberries on skewers one by one. Make sure to alternate colors to make it pretty!
Nutrition (1 kabob): 122 calories 6g fat 13g carbs 4g protein
Ingredients: - 2 TBSP paleonola or granola - 1 banana - 2 TBSP peanut butterMethod: 1. Slice banana in half. 2. Place popsicle stick in end of banana. 3. Slather banana in peanut butter. 4. Roll banana in the granola.
Nutrition (1 pop or 1/2 banana): 186 calories 12g fat 18g carbs 6g protein
Ingredients: - 1 cup quick cook dry oats - 2 tbsp dried cranberries - Few raspberries - 2 cups hot water - 2 tbsp honey Greek yogurt - 1 tbsp pistachios - Honey or agave (for extra sweetness)Method: 1. Combine oats and dried cranberries in a bowl with hot water. Stir together. They will cook in the bowl. 2. Put a dollop of Greek yogurt on top. 3. Top with pistachios, raspberries, and honey.
Nutrition: 435 calories 15g fat 66g carbs 14g protein
Hope you enjoyed the recipes! What do you want me to whip us next?
COTTON CANDY GRAPES
These are grapes that are grown to taste like cotton candy! Once you bite into it, you will die of amazement! It messes with you so bad because the taste is SOOO unexpected! Go find some at your local grocery store. I have seen these at Whole Foods and Trader Joes.
- 1 banana
- 2 TBS nut butter
- 1 whole wheat or low carb tortilla
Directions: Slather peanut butter or your fave nut butter on your tortilla. Then roll up your peeled banana! Slice up into 8 pieces. It's PERFECT!
DONUT APPLE RINGS
- 1 fuji apple
- 2 TBS of nut butter
- 2 TBS dried cranberries
- 2 TBS of pistachios
Directions: Slice your apple into thin rings. De-core the center so that you don't have seeds. Spread peanut butter or your fave nut butter on each slice. Them top with dried fruit and nuts. If you want, granola is also a great option here!
YOGURT DIPPED BLUEBERRIES
- 1 small package of fresh blueberries
- 1/2 C of honey greek yogurt or coconut yogurt
Directions: Dip your blueberries into the yogurt. Then once all covered, one by one, place them on a plate with parchment paper. Make sure they are not sticking together. Then freeze them for a few hours or until hardened.
Hope you try these snacks guys! They are soooooo good! If you make em, be sure to tag me in your pics so I can see! Also, don't forget to tell me your specific non weight related fitness goal this week in the comments.
I love putting raw pumpkin seeds on yogurt! That crunch is incredible.It is a plant-based protein. You might be surprised, but pumpkin seeds are a great source of protein! 1 cup of roasted or dried pumpkin seeds contain 39 grams!! As you know protein is important to support strong muscles and repair tissues from all the effort you’re putting in your workouts. Pumpkin seeds are a great alternative if you’re looking for another way to get your protein in besides eating meat. It has tons of fiber! Another reason why I love pumpkin seeds is because they contain a lot of fiber. A small portion keeps you feeling full longer, improves your digestion and can help lower your cholesterol. They are also a lot easier to digest than other fiber sources like beans or grains. Give them a try if you want to improve your digestion and want a slimming snack! It's a good source of magnesium and zinc! Don’t forget about vitamins and minerals! Pumpkin seeds and oils are high in magnesium and zinc, which support strong bones, increase your energy levels, and control blood sugar. They also help you maintain a strong and healthy immune system – so you can battle cold season like a champ! It is a great source of iron. Iron is a vitamin that most people are deficient in – especially women (thanks to mother nature). Pumpkin seeds are rich in iron and one of the best ways to increase your iron intake if you eat a plant-based diet. It’s important to get enough iron to increase energy levels, have better athletic performance, and it boosts your concentration and focus. It makes you happier :) Tasty food makes me happy, but pumpkin LITERALLY has something in them that boosts your mood. It contains tryptophan. Without getting super technical, tryptophan is an amino acid that is converted into serotonin, which is a happy hormone! It helps regulate your mood and sleep patterns, and decreases cravings. Why not add some happiness into your meals and snacks. Throw in pumpkin seeds to salads, smoothies or soups for a quick mood-boost! Here's a fun pumpkin recipe for you!
Pumpkin Pie Mug Cake
¼ cup oat flour
2 tablespoons Stevia
¼ teaspoon cinnamon
½ teaspoon baking powder
½ scoop vanilla protein powder
¼ cup canned pumpkin
1/8 cup almond milk
½ graham cracker sheet, crushed
1. Mix the oat flour through salt in a bowl.
2. Add the pumpkin, egg and milk and stir well.
3. Spray the bottom of a mug or small bowl with cooking spray.
4. Sprinkle the graham cracker pieces on the bottom. Pour the batter on top.
5. Microwave for 1:40 – 2:20, or until set but not overcooked. Invert on a plate and serve.
Calories: 300 | Protein: 24 g | Net Carbs: 26 g | Fat: 8 g | Fiber: 6 gOH. EM. GEE! All those benefits make me love pumpkin even more! I am def going to be taking advantage of pumpkin season and adding seeds into my meals and snacks! What’s your fave way to add some pumpkin into your life?
POPCORN CHICK'N (or tofu nuggets)
Ingredients for 3 servings:
1 block extra firm tofu
1/3 c whole wheat flour
1/4 c nutritional yeast
1 TBSP mustard
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1/2 c water
1 tsp chipotle seasoning
2 TBSP coconut oil
1 serving Popcorn Chick'n cal - 229 fat - 14g carbs - 15g protein -15 g
Ingredients for 4 taquitos:
4 whole wheat tortillas
1 ripe avocado
1/2 red bell pepper
1 c hummus
1 Taquito: cal - 219 fat - 12g carbs - 23g protein - 11g
CHICK'N CLUB SANDWICH
Ingredients for 4 servings chickpea salad:
1 15 oz can garbanzo beans
1/4 c chopped cilantro
2 TBS chopped scallion
1 small lemon
salt & pepper to taste
1 Chick'n Club Sandwich cal - 375 fat - 9g carbs - 59g protein - 15g
Hope you enjoyed these recipes! Which do you want to try most? And what should I make next time!?
We'll be making 3 recipes: Pumpkin Pie, Matcha Pistachio, and Dragon Fruit.
Ready? Let's get started!
PUMPKIN PIE NICE CREAM
4 frozen bananas
1 C canned pumpkin
1/3 C maple syrup
1.5 tsp pumpkin pie spice
MATCHA PISTACHIO NICE CREAM:
3 frozen bananas
3 TBS coconut cream
1 TBS matcha powder
DRAGON FRUIT NICE CREAM
4 frozen bananas
1 frozen Pitaya pack
1 TBS agave nectar
That's it guys! I hope you try to make these for your friends and family this holiday. They are delicious and taste super creamy. Hashtag #cheapcleaneats if you make it!
You can get our fun yoga mats here.Also, I want to address something here because I've seen some pretty weird comments on both of our videos. For some reason, people think that because of how differently we eat, we can't be friends. In fact, I saw someone write that vegans and non-vegans are supposed to be "enemies." Wow. That is a harsh word. Enemies? Really? Are we really Montagues and Capulets here? Cuz even Romeo & Juliet were able to find love. Others said that if Kristina didn't "convert me" then what's the point of us being friends. Once again, is your nutrition a religion or is it a way to nourish your body? I mean, I don't think I need to repost any more comments, but I hope you are able to see what I see here: close mindedness. It is difficult to inspire change when someone tries to impose their ideaologies on you and talk smack about you when you aren't doing things their way. When your child does something you don't like, do you call them stupid and ugly and berate them? No, you teach them. You teach them why. And you do it in an encouraging way so that they can find the fire to change within them. It's called compassion. Vegan or non-vegan, I will love you for YOU. Atkins, Paleo, Keto - whatever and however you eat - I will still love you for who you are and how you treat me and other people. I don't judge people who eat fries and burgers and can't walk up the stairs without taking a break. I see an opportunity to inspire. With that said, I really appreciate plant based food as I find it so creative how you can cook without animal product! (I've been integrating vegan and vegetarian food since I was young, so I'm very happy to be learning even more new recipes from friends as I get older!) Though you and I may not be 100% vegan, I do encourage everyone to add more fruits and veggies into their lifestyle. They are full of vitamins, minerals, and are extremely nutritious. Everyone's body is different - experiment with your food and see where you feel at your best and most energetic! Anyway, here's me and the lovely Kristina working out together!
PB & J Shake 1 c strawberries 1 frozen banana 2 TBSP PB 4 oz plain coconut yogurt 1 c coconut milk (not the creamy, thick one, the one that is like almond milk)
441.3 cals | 21.9g fat | 13.1g protein | 52.2g carbs
Berry Muffin Smoothie 1.5 C Frozen blueberries 1 TBSP maple syrup 1/2 c oats 1/4 tsp cinnamon 1/2 c almond milk 1 c plain coconut yogurt
462.2 cals | 4.3g fat | 13.7g protein | 95.6g carbs
Metabolic Blast Smoothie 1 kiwi 1 c frozen mangoes 1 c frozen pineapples 1 TBSP Chia seeds 2 c baby kale 1 c plain coconut yogurt 1/2 c almond milk 1/4 c apple cider vinegar
466.3 cals | 7.7g fat | 15.4g protein | 95.6g carbs
These are all meal replacements due to how large they are. If you just want a snack version, then simply half everything!
Have fun making your smoothies! And keep posting pics of you in POPFLEX if you haven't already!!!
I am super excited to share with you a recipe that I have been making for YEARS now ever since I moved down to LA. It's my Happy Bowl! This is a version of a macrobiotic bowl which follows the macrobiotic diet. So...what does that mean?
Macrobiotics is about balancing yourself with the natural world so that you can bring peace, a healthy well-being and balance to your own life! Believers of the Macrobiotic way of eating boast that it can make you live longer and help you avoid illnesses. Whether or not this has been scientifically proven, I CAN tell you from personal experience that I rarely ever get sick - maybe once every few years if there's someone sick in the office - and it's because of the way I eat.
"Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." - Hippocrates
Ready to make your own Happy Bowl? Here are the percentages that you should follow:
Veggies should make up about 60% of the bowl.
Whole grains should make up about 30% of the bowl.
Beans, soy protein or sea vegetables should make up about 10% of the bowl.
Fermented food (for the probiotics) should also be added on top.Yield: 1 Serving Size: 1 big bowl Prep Time: 10 min Cook Time: 20 min Total Time: 30 min
1 small sweet potato, peeled and cubed
1 cup cauliflower florets (round element)
Pinch sea salt
1/4 cup black beans or garbanzo beans, drained
1/2 cup cooked quinoa
1 large handful of kale leaves (leafy element)
1/2 small yellow onion
1 teaspoon olive oil
1 teaspoon lemon juice
Pinch sea salt
2 tablespoons sauerkraut (fermented element)
Handful of spring greens
1 carrot, peeled into ribbons
1/4 cup red bell pepper
1 green onion, chopped
3 tablespoons coconut milk
1 tablespoon roasted, salted almond butter (or tahini)
1-2 tablespoons orange juice
1 tablespoon coconut aminos (or soy sauce alternative)
1/2 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
Pinch cayenne pepper (optional)Method: 1. Preheat oven to 400°F. Coat a nonstick baking sheet with cooking spray. Lay out potatoes and spray the tops. Sprinkle with salt. Place in oven for 10 minutes. 2. Pull the baking sheet out and add the cauliflower to the baking sheet. Spray with cooking spray, sprinkle with salt, and return to oven for 12 minutes. Remove from oven. 3. Massage kale leaves with the olive oil, lemon juice and salt until tender. 4. Coat a small nonstick pan with cooking spray and add the onions. Sauté for 5-6 minutes or until caramelized. Deglaze the pan with drops of water as needed. 5. Assemble the bowl by filling the bottom of a medium-sized bowl with spring lettuce. Lay down the beans, kale, quinoa, sweet potato cubes, cauliflower, onions, and sauerkraut. Garnish with carrot, bell pepper and green onion. 6. In a small glass bowl, stir together the dressing ingredients. Microwave for 25 seconds and stir, or prepare stovetop. Drizzle on top and serve.
Calories: 522 | Protein: 18g | Fat: 17g | Carbs: 79g | Fiber: 17g | Net Carbs: 62g
PEANUT BUTTER BLISS
Serving Size: 1 bar
Prep Time: 5 min
Total Time: 5 min
20 large pitted dates
1 cup lightly salted dry roasted peanuts
2 tablespoons natural peanut butter
1/4 teaspoon sea saltMethod: -Place all ingredients into a large food processor. Be sure to check for pits, even in “pitted dates.” -Process for 1-2 minutes or until contents have broken down and resemble a thick dough. -Press into the bottom of a 9-by-5-inch loaf pan. Press the top firmly and evenly. -Place in refrigerator for 30 min - 1 hour. Cut into 8 bars and wrap in saran wrap until ready to eat. The method is the same for the rest of the bars!
Nutrition Info: Calories: 200, Protein: 5g, Fat: 9g, Carbs: 31g, Fiber: 4g, Net Carbs: 27g
COCONUT CASHEW CRAZE
Serving Size: 1 bar
Prep Time: 5 min
Total Time: 5 min
20 large pitted dates
1 cup lightly salted dry roasted cashews
1/4 cup shredded unsweetened coconut
2 tablespoons cashew butter
1/4 -1/2 teaspoon coconut extract
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
Nutrition Info: Calories: 200, Protein: 5g, Fat: 9g, Carbs: 31g, Fiber: 4g, Net Carbs: 27g
CHERRY ALMOND CHEER
Serving Size: 1 bar
Prep Time: 5 min
Total Time: 5 min
20 large pitted dates
½ cup lightly salted dry roasted cashews
1/2 cup raw almonds
10 unsweetened dried cherries
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
1/4 teaspoon sea salt (optional)
Nutrition Info: Calories: 233, Protein: 5g, Fat: 11g, Carbs: 33g, Fiber: 6g, Net Carbs: 27gAlright! There you have it! The most delish homemade bars ever! These were so fun and easy to make. You may even think it slightly resembles a Lara Bar! But they are better...hahaha and not so crazy sweet! After taste-testing them right after I made them (because I couldn't wait -they looked so good!!), my favorite was the Peanut Butter Bliss bar because well, peanut butter is life. AM I RIGHT!!??? Which one are you DYING to make first? Let me know in the comments!
Sweaty selfie post class! I was a sweaty mess too. It was increds.
Thank you to everyone who gave me a lei and gifts. I usually never get gifts at meet ups, so it was such a warm welcome onto the island! After the meetup, my Program Director and Master Trainer, Jules, led our POP Instructor workshop and got this fine group ready to TEACH! Welcome to the POP Army Hawaii!
After the class and training day, we were ready to start the vacation part of the trip!!! I had to get my macadamias to prepare for island beach snacking of course. Onion & Garlic is my fave flavor, but it leaves your breath pretty stinky and not nice for kissing, so have a mint on hand.
I could tell you about all the beaches we went to, but this place stood out the most to me. This is the Lanai Lookout. It's about 15 minutes north of Hanuama Bay (which is so incredible for snorkeling, very commercialized, but amazing nonetheless).
Technically, you're not supposed to go out after the mini rock wall that gates this beauty from the parking lot, but we saw people doing it, so we did it too! The view is just breathtaking. These pics do NO JUSTICE to what you can experience with your eyes and your body. You need to go here.
Another MUST-SEE spot is the Waimano Waterfalls. It's not easy to get there though. The hike I mean. I read on a blog that it was considered "Beginner" but I have to honestly admit that it felt more like intermediate-advanced to me! I think I will do a whole blog post dedicated to the hike because IT IS WORTHY. For now, I'll show you what you will see when you get there.
The falls has 3 pools. The first one is shallow with the huge waterfall, probably about 30 ft tall or so. Then there's a mini pool in the middle, about the size and depth of a hot tub. And at the final and lowest pool, YOU GET THIS. TARZAN ROPES!!!! All the water is fresh and no there aren't any weird fish or bugs! Just tiny baby fish but I didn't encounter any Lochness Monsters, so I think you're pretty safe here :)
OK, can we talk food please? All my friends told me we HAD to go to Gionvanni's Shrimp Truck on the North Shore, so we trekked there to see what all the hype was about!
I got the Spicy Shrimp, and within a minute I regretted it. On the menu it said something along the lines of "This is VERY SPICY. We will not offer refunds!" I was so cocky, I was like yeah, whatever, it's gonna be a piece of cake. Honestly guys, for a girl who puts habanero sauce on her salads at lunch, I was DYING. THIS IS SPICY!!! Very spicy!!! Luckily Sam got Garlic and Butter shrimp (the most popular dish) and I traded him some of my shrimps so that I could survive.
So did it live up to the hype? Yes, it was yummy! But have cash on hand! There's an ATM machine at the McDonald's across the street though if you forget, like me.
When in Hawaii, you MUST have an Acai Bowl! This one is from Nalu Health Bar & Cafe which is in Kailua, HI. There are plenty of places to choose from (just Yelp it), but make sure the fruits they put in your bowl are FRESH! I bought another bowl from another place the next day, and it seemed that they were using pre-frozen fruit over pre-blended acai. Not cool. You can significantly taste the difference. This one had bee pollen crunchies on top and it was spectacular.
Finally...THIS.Obscene much? Yes. Very very much. If there's one thing you don't know about me, it's that I am very egotistical when it comes to bragging about how much food I can eat in one sitting. I LOVE watching food eating competitions - it's just so fun! There's one food challenge that I've ALWAYS wanted to attempt, and that's the Macdaddy's Pancake Challenge at MAC 24/7 in Honolulu. The challenge is to eat this ENTIRE stack of pancakes in under 90 min and you get a free t-shirt, your face on the wall of fame, and your pancake bill paid for. I believe these were about $25. I went in thinking I could totally take it down - easy peasy. BUT BOY WAS I WRONG. I FAILED SO HARD. GUYS IT WAS EMBARASSING. I ate way less than a quarter and nearly passed out. Nope. This was my first food eating challenge and I am officially going to say that there is no need to ever attempt any food challenge again. So those are the highlights from my Hawaii trip! You can see more of my pics on Instagram @blogilates. Like I said, I will blog entirely about the hike because I think it is something you guys will TRULY enjoy. So stay tuned for that! Have you been to Hawaii yet? Do you plan on going?
CAULIFLOWER MARGHERITA PIZZA
Yield: 8 servings
Serving Size: 1 slice
Prep Time: 15 min
Cook Time: 45 minIngredients:
Yield: 4 servings
Serving Size: 2 breadsticks
Prep Time: 10 min
Cook Time: 25 min
Total Time: 45 minIngredients:
To me, there's nothing more satisfying than something really cold and refreshing as the weather begins to warm up. And if it's totally cute and colorful, it tastes even better, right?! That's certainly the case with these tie dye popsicles. Obviously they're gorgeous and just scream, "I'm healthy and full of antioxidants," but they also taste absolutely incredible!
Believe it or not, nailing health, beauty and taste in a recipe can be hard. Sometimes we sacrifice taste because something is "good for us," or it's gorgeous for a photo but might not be the healthiest choice. I'm here to say, these get an A+ on ERRTHANG!!!!
Oh! And did I mention they're easy to make? I'll teach you the trick to layering if you don't have the patience to freeze every layer before adding the next one. (I mean, who has time for that?) We need to get to the sweet, sour, cold and perfectly drippy final product instead of laboring for hours. Imagine all the possibilities for colors too! Just select the colors of fruit you wish to highlight for your next soiree, and follow the method for these no-fail pops! Seriously guys, you must make these with your favorite fruits! They taste way better than anything you can get from a store, and there's no added sugar, so you can feel good about eating them. They're also less than 100 calories each!
TIE DYE POPSICLES
Yield: 1 serving
Serving Size: 1 popsicle
Prep Time: 15 min
Chill Time: 4-6 hrsIngredients: Green Layer
Nutrition Info: Calories: 88 | Protein: 1g | Fat: 0g | Net Carbs: 20g | Fiber: 3g
YUMMY!!!! Comment below what your fave fruit is!
I thought I'd eat up the whole batch, but to be honest, they are so decadent and rich, that eating more than one actually becomes hard! No, seriously. Trust me. Or if you don't trust yourself, then package them up and give it away, or invite some friends over for treats :)
PEANUT BUTTER HONEY FUDGE
Yield: 12 servings Serving Size: 1 square Prep Time: 5 min Cook Time: 2 min Chill Time: 3 hoursIngredients:
Hey guys!Do you love matcha? I absolutely love it and drink it in everything from smoothies to lattes! I love its earthy flavor, plus it is SO good for you! The antioxidants are through the roof! Studies show it can help fight cancer, reduce cholesterol, act as a calming agent, and it has anti-inflammatory properties. So I figured, why let beverages have all the fun? Why not create a stunning cake that's worthy of the fanciest birthday party, but easy enough to make any day of the week for brunch, or even breakfast. I love this cake because it's not overly sweet. In fact, you can totally steal this crepe recipe and use it for savory crepes, or any type of traditional crepe. They're no-fail! Another highlight...they're gluten-free! I think you should make this cake instead of a regular baked one for your next party. It's so pretty, spongy, creamy and decadent tasting, but it's quite a bit healthier than most desserts out there because it's sugar-free (although you'd never know it because it's THAT good!). Check out my video to see just how easy these crepes are to make and flip. I didn't break a single one!
MATCHA CREPE CAKE
Yield: 8 servings
Serving Size: 1 slice
Prep Time: 5 min
Cook Time: 18 minIngredients: Crepes
Does this frozen yogurt bark make you feel patriotic? When I see it, I immediately think about the 4th of July...which happens to be Monday sooooo perfect timing yeah!!??!
I think themed food (in color or occasion) is extra cute, and oh-so-festive. There's an emotional connection to seeing food with our eyes and tying in nostalgia before taking even the first bite. So whether it's patriotism, childhood wonder, comfort, party-time, Easter, New Year's, GNO or a baby shower, be sure to go the extra mile and tailor your cuisine to match the event.
You'll be so happy to know that this frozen yogurt bark (modeled after the not-so-healthy fancy white chocolate bark you'll see in high-end stores) is remarkably healthy, easy, and can be made vegan or non-vegan. These are perfect for summer because they're cold, slightly sweet and really refreshing with bursts of real fruit POWER! Yes- I believe fruit is the ultimate super-hero because it's filled with antioxidants to beat down the bad free-radicals of life, plus, it's so yummy! So in essence, this bark IS LIFE!
Prepare the pan and get ready to sprinkle!
FROZEN YOGURT BARK
Yield: 1 serving
Serving Size: full recipe
Prep Time: 5 min
Chill Time: 3 hrsIngredients:
Let me know your favorite holiday food to make in the comments below!
I know it's summer and we all want to keep fit, but I just had to share this recipe with you! OMG, it is so creamy and satisfying and peanut-buttery delicious, I'd feel like a bad friend if I kept it all to myself. Here's its highlight reel: vegan, low carb, low sugar, gluten-free, made from healthy fat, and really simple. No, you cannot eat the whole thing guilt-free, but a slice, oh yeah, you MUST!
Regular cheesecakes can be a little fussy to make. They often crack on the top, and it's hard to know when to pull them out of the oven to ensure the center is soft, smooth and firm, yet creamy and not over-baked. And let's not even talk about all the gluten, sugar and cream cheese that it takes to make one! This perfectly sweet and subtly salty cheesecake is made in two simple steps and is no-bake! I'm dying to know what you think of it when you make it! Be sure to let me know on social media and tag your pics so I can enjoy them!
VEGAN PEANUT BUTTER CHEEECAKE
Yield: 8 servings
Serving Size: 1 SLICE
Prep Time: 15 min
Chill Time: 6 hoursIngredients: Crust
I cannot wait for you to make this and tell me all about it in the comments!
Nutrition Info: Calories: 267 | Protein: 7g | Fat: 22g | Net Carbs: 11g | Fiber: 2g
Hey guys!Have you ever whipped something up in your kitchen that was just for Instagram? (C'mon, let's be honest here!!) I like making my recipes pretty (even if eating them becomes challenging) but I'd never prepare something I didn't plan on devouring. Can I get a "heck-yeah" to leftovers PLEASE?? I'm a firm believer in taking home or saving what I don't eat. It's less wasteful, and I never feel the need to stuff myself since there's always a tomorrow! So if you don't eat up this entire stack of eye-candy in one sitting with a couple friends, save some for later! Enjoy every bit of the soft cakey pancakes, slightly tangy yogurt and naturally sweet fruit, because this recipe is AH-MAZING. Just cut it carefully because you don't want your masterpiece to topple over! Watch me make it below in the latest Cheap Clean Eats episode!
Yield: 3 servings
Serving Size: 1/3rd pancake stack
Prep Time: 15 min
Cook Time: 12 minIngredients:
8 TIPS TO PREVENT PMS CRAVINGS
1. STABILIZE YOUR BLOOD SUGAR. Research has linked PMS to low blood sugar/hypoglycemia. Drops in blood sugar lead to irritability, shakiness and further hunger, generally for simple carbs, which deliver a quick rush of sugar to the system. To avoid cravings that stem from low blood sugar, eat five balanced meals each day. This might mean Greek yogurt, fruit and nuts for breakfast, a protein shake for a snack, a quinoa salad for lunch, bananas and peanut butter for a snack and chicken tortilla soup for dinner. The meals are smaller than "3-square meals" because you're eating five times per day. They include balanced ratios of protein, fat and carbs which eliminate the blood sugar spikes and plummets that come with a day comprised of pancakes, a sub sandwich and Chinese takeout for dinner. Blood sugar stabilization is the premise of The 28 Day Reset - the official meal plan of PIIT28. 2. EAT A PROTEIN-RICH BREAKFAST. A breakfast of scrambled eggs with veggies and avocado starts your day off much better than waffles or cereal. Having protein and fat in the morning leaves you satiated and energized, and a lot less likely to crave chocolate by noon. 3. INCREASE FIBER. #1 New York Times Bestselling author, Dr. Hyman, suggests increasing vegetables, fruit, nuts, seeds, beans, and whole grains in order to ease PMS constipation, which affects your gut, which affects your cravings. "Two tablespoons of ground flax seeds a day are especially helpful in correcting constipation and balancing hormones. Put them in a shake or sprinkle them on salads or food." 4. CARB UP. Well, not really loading up, but a few moderate complex carbs can help raise your serotonin levels to stave off the, "I could kill for a Snickers bar right now," moments. They key is having just enough to raise your serotonin without sending your blood sugar skyrocketing. So the next time you're feeling crabby or a bit blue, and your period is near, go ahead and have two ounces of whole wheat pasta with marinara, a small baked potato or a slice of toast. The amount you have won't ruin your diet, and might spare you from raiding the pantry tomorrow. It's best not to eat these carbs with lots of fat, as fat will slow the absorption of the carbs, thus, postponing your serotonin surge. 5. DRINK UP. As much as you might feel like a beached whale, the best remedy for beating bloat is 8-10 glasses of water. The sooner the bloat is gone, the happier you'll be, which mean you won't be eating raw cookie dough to temporarily lift your spirits. The bottle above helps me stay hydrated throughout the day. You can get the Timer Bottle here. 6. SWEAT. Whatever gets the blood pumping will raise serotonin and lower cortisol levels. Cortisol is your stress hormone, and nothing relieves stress like exercise! This can have a huge impact on your cravings too! The happier I am, the more I want healthy and clean foods. I know it’s hard, but get a short workout in, even when you want to crawl under the covers in your pj’s. You’ll never regret that workout! 7. GIVE IT A MAKEOVER. When all else fails and you just can't force yourself to eat a salad because only a huge quesadilla will do, don't fight it, make it healthier. There's always a healthier option for the bad stuff. Craving a burger? Go turkey burger with avocado and half the bun. Need chocolate? Make an avocado chocolate mousse, or grab some chocolate covered edamame. French fries? Make your own baked sweet potato fries. You’ll have a lot less regret this way, and you’ll still satisfy your craving. 8. REDUCE CAFFEINE. Caffeine spikes cortisol, so reducing it helps, once again, with your cravings. Chances are, though, if you cut it out completely, you'll experience moodiness and fatigue, which won't help your cause. So just try reducing it by half, or try a nice soothing tea. That’s it guys! Can you do it? Can you cut your coffee by half, increase your fiber and eat balanced meals before and during your period? Let me know if you choose some, or all, of these PMS craving-cures and let me know how you feel! Resources: http://www.m.webmd.com/diet/features/is-pms-sabotaging-your-diet http://drhyman.com/blog/2010/09/17/how-to-eliminate-pms-in-5-simple-steps/ http://www.womenshealthmag.com/food/pms-cravings