Today I had the urge to make some vegetarian nuggets! They were sooooooo good! You need to make these as an appetizer for your friends and family. They will love love love it. And just so you know…not EVERYTHING I make turns out perfect. I just don’t tell you about it when I fail! In fact, this past two weeks I’ve been like burning everything and stuff just comes out either too spicy, too bland, or just too weird. Today, I was very happy that I broke my curse. Phew.
– 1 small head of cauliflower
– 1 and 1/4 cups of low fat mozzarella cheese
– 1/4 tsp dried oregano
– 1/4 tsp dried garlic powder
– 1/4 tsp dried basil
– 1/4 tsp salt
– 1 egg
– small handful of fresh basil leaves sliced thinly
1. Shred the cauliflower in your food processor until it looks like rice – I call this “ricing”.
2. Place the rice in a bowl and microwave it for 5 minutes.
3. Squeeze all of the excess water out by placing the rice on a cheesecloth or thin piece of linen and pressing the liquid out. If you skip this, it’s not the end of the world.
4. Then mix in your dried ingredients, egg, cheese, and basil leaves. Be careful! It’s hot. Don’t do what I did in my first Cheap Clean Eats video. You can watch that disaster here. (No, seriously, watch it!)
5. Form your “dough” into little nugget sized pieces on a tray that’s been sprayed with EVOO, PAM, or coconut oil.
6. Bake at 425F for 15 min. (I actually left mine in a little longer to make sure they get a bit crunchy.)
That’s it! It makes a few dozen nuggets and tastes great served with a side of marinara! The fresh basil gives it such a fantastic Italian feel. The recipe makes 6 servings (6 nuggets = 1 serving) and each serving is under 100 cals with over 10g of protein. How awesome is that?
Enjoy your weekend guys and hashtag #cheapcleaneats if you make this recipe! And for everyone wondering what happened to Cheap Clean Eats on YouTube, I just needed some time to create some fool proof recipes for you. Like I said above…it’s been a tough couple weeks in the kitch!!