It’s Asparagus season!!!! All stalks are now 99c! I am so excited. I love love love asparagus. Honestly, if there was one meal I could eat for the rest of my life it’d be steamed asparagus and tofu with sriracha smothered all over it. YUM.
Today someone on Facebook asked if I could share some asparagus recipes. What a great idea! I haven’t been doing as many food things lately, so I am happy to. Here’s one recipe I LOVE! You know how everyone says stay away from “Cream of” type soups? Yes, stay away…but not if they are made with greek yogurt!!!!! That’s right. It’s Clean Eating time! I present to you…a nutritious, protein packed Cream of Asparagus Soup.
Ingredients (4-5 servings):
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 pounds of asparagus, trimmed and cut in one inch pieces, remove the “woody part”
- 4-cups of chicken stock
- 1/2-cup Greek yogurt, nonfat or 2% fat
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 TBS of cayenne pepper
1. Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add asparagus and cook until tender, 3 to 5 minutes. Remove and drain. Reserve 2 cups cooking liquid from the boil.
2. Dice onions and sautee on high heat until slightly browned.
3. Transfer cooking liquid and asparagus to a food processor and puree until smooth. (If you don’t like biting onion, you can puree the sautee too. Otherwise just leave it to stir in by hand later.)
4. Combine asparagus puree with chicken broth in a medium stockpot and heat over medium until warm. Stir in yogurt, salt, pepper, onion, and cayenne. Serve!
Other great ways I like to Cook Asparagus:
- I love just boiling it. So fast.
- I love steaming it. Keeps all the nutrients in.
- I love roasting it in the oven. Slight crunch.
I usually eat Asparagus with a piece of chicken breadt or turkey breast. (Did that tonight, so good!) Then I pour some soy sauce and sriracha all over it. Simple, quick, and CLEAN.
Also, have you ever noticed that after eating asparagus, your urine smells bad? Apparently only 20-40% of us are affected by this. It’s a genetic thing.
How do you like to cook your asparagus?