Only 56 cals per slice!
Believe it. I made my own pizza today from scratch (even the dough, using no flour) and it was delicious. Time to share the goods.
Faux pizza dough/crust:
* 1/2 cup egg whites
* 3 TBS nonfat cottage cheese
* 6 TBS of ground flax seed
* 0.5 – 1 TBS of Splenda (I used 1 TBS and thought it was a little “too” sweet. If you have a sweet tooth, go for it, if not, lower the amount here.)
* 1/4 tsp baking powder
* cooking spray for baking pan
* I used 1/2 cup of tomato sauce, about 2 oz of shredded chicken breast, and 6 oz of red and green bell peppers. I skipped the cheese this time, but feel free to add in or take out whatever you want! It’s your pizza!
1. Preheat oven to 300F. Mix all of the pizza crust ingredients together in a bowl until smooth. You’ll still see cottage cheese chunks. If this bothers you, you can blend the mixture, but I thought it gave my “faux dough” a nice look.
2. Spray a baking pan with your cooking spray and the pour the batter on. Smooth out.
3. Place the pan into the oven for about 15 to 20 min or until firm. You want to make sure your pizza crust is more on the dry side than moist side because after the toppings come on, some of that moisture will soak into the faux bread.
4. Once your crust is done, slather a good amount of tomato or marina sauce on top and sprinkle with your fave pizza toppings.
5. Slice up and enjoy!
I loved my fake crust!!! It was amazing. Next time I will make this using only 1/2 TBS of sugar. I felt like it was too sweet. It was still good though. Can’t wait to make this again with mushrooms, onions, and roasted tomatoes. OMG yum!
FOR ONE SLICE OF MY PIZZA (entire recipe/8): 56 calories, 2g fat, 5g carbs, 5g protein
FOR ENTIRE PIZZA: 448 calories, 16g fat, 40g carbs, 40g protein.
FLAX SEED NO FLOUR PIZZA CRUST ONLY (entire recipe): 327 calories, 14g fat, 27g carbs, 27g protein.