If you have a bunch of oatmeal and whole wheat flour lying around like I do and think you need to buy bread, think again! You have everything you need to make a wholesome loaf. You don’t even need yeast! I made this this weekend for my little sister when she visited me in Boston. Delicious, sweet, and almost biscuit like. This bread is a little dense.
*1 cup quick oats oatmeal
* 1 cup whole wheat flour
* 2 tsp baking powder
* 1/2 tsp salt
* 1.5 TBS sugarfree strawberry preserves (or you can use honey)
* 1 TBS of apple sauce (or you can use vegetable oil)
* 1 cup vanilla soy milk (or regular milk)
* optional: dash of vanilla extract and touch of cinnamon
1. Place everything except for the apple sauce and soy milk into a blender.
2. Mix the milk and apple sauce thoroughly. Then pour into the blender. This prevents uneven lumpiness and spots of random sweetness in the bread.
3. Set the oven to 350 degrees.
4. Spray bottom of your pan or muffin tray with cooking spray.
5. Pour the batter in and then place in the oven!
6. Should take about 20 minutes, but constantly check. Bread will be done when you puncture with a fork and no goo sticks to the prongs of your fork.
7. Enjoy with some jam and low fat butter! Yum!
The ingredients in my blender. What a wholesome medley!
Look at that dough! I actually ate some off of my fingers. It was THAT good. The aroma somehow took me back to childhood when the days were so carefree…
Ding! My bread muffins are done! A dozen!
Total recipe: 848 calories, 104 cals from fat. 12g fat. 165g carbs. 21g fiber. 7.7g sugar. 32g protein.
Per muffin or slice (assuming you cut/divided into 12 pieces): 71 cals, 9 cals from fat. 1g fat. 14g carbs. 2g fiber. 0.6g sugar. 3g protein.