Feelin’ all middle east but not feelin’ the calories? No problemo because I have the recipe for baked falafel adapted from Hungry Girl. You can go pita or sans pita. Your choice! This week I was all about the lettuce wraps.
Falafel Pita Pockets with Dill-icious Yogurt Dip
WITH PITA (1 pita pocket with 3 falafel balls and 3 tbsp. dip):
- 198 calories, 2.25g fat, 863mg sodium, 37g carbs, 8.5g fiber, 5g sugars, 10g protein — POINTS® value 3*
PITA FREE (wrapped in lettuce, over a salad, or straight from a plate! 3 falafel balls and 3 tbsp. dip):
- A pita-less serving has 139 calories, 2g fat, 718mg sodium, 24g carbs, 6g fiber, 5g sugars, and 7.5g protein (POINTS® value 2*).
For Falafel Pockets:
– 2 1/2 whole-wheat or high-fiber pitas
– One 15-oz. can chickpeas, well drained
– 1 onion, very finely chopped
– 1/4 cup whole-wheat flour
– 3 tbsp. finely chopped fresh parsley
– 1 1/2 tbsp. chopped garlic
– 1 tbsp. chopped fresh cilantro
– 1/2 tbsp. ground cumin
– 3/4 tsp. salt
– 1/2 tsp. baking powder
– 1/4 tsp. lemon juice
– 1/8 tsp. paprika, or more to taste
– black pepper, to taste
– Two 2-second sprays olive oil nonstick spray
For Tzatziki Dip:
– 6 oz. plain fat-free yogurt
– 1 Persian cucumber, peeled and chopped (or another small cucumber, peeled, deseeded, and chopped)
– 1 tsp. dried dill
– 3/4 tsp. crushed garlic
– 1/4 tsp. salt
– black pepper, to taste
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
Place all ingredients for falafel (except for the pitas and nonstick spray) in a large bowl, and give them a good stir. Using a potato masher, mash well. Mixture should remain slightly chunky, not smooth.
Spray a baking sheet thoroughly with a 2-second spray of olive oil nonstick spray.
One at a time, take spoonfuls of mixture in your hands and form 15 balls, each about the size of a ping pong ball, and gently place them on the baking sheet. Spray the top of each ball with olive oil nonstick spray, for a total of about a 2-second spray.
Bake in the oven for 15 minutes. Meanwhile, combine all ingredients for dip in a blender or food processor, and pulse until just blended. Season to taste with black pepper and refrigerate until ready to serve.
Remove baking sheet from the oven, and carefully turn each ball over, gently reshaping if the bottoms have flattened. Return to the oven and bake for an additional 10 – 15 minutes, until golden brown and slightly crispy. Allow to cool and set for at least 5 minutes.
Cut the whole pitas into halves, toast or warm all pita halves slightly, and then fill each with three falafel balls and 3 tbsp. dip. Enjoy!
MAKES 5 SERVINGS
Recipe from: http://www.hungry-girl.com/newsletters/raw/1225